Question 3 Across in an 06 Kia Sedona?

U

Unregistered

We're expecting our 4th in June and I'd really like to have the 3 older kids across the 3rd row seat. That way I have an empty captain's chair so I can ride next to the new one when my husband drives.
Right now, my 1 year old is rear facing in a Roundabout in a middle row captain's chair. She's 18 pounds and I'm hoping she'll be 20 by June.
My boys, 3 (30 pounds) and 4 1/2 (40 pounds) are both in Recaro Young Sports, one in a harness and the other in booster mode. None of my kids is exceptionally tall (I don't have their height stats at the moment).
The Recaro seats unfortunately have to go since they're REALLY wide and there's no way they'll fit with anything else back there.
I went to the local baby store and tried the Radian 65's to see how they would configure. After a lot of shuffling, the only thing I found that works is the Roundabout on the passenger side outboard, then a Radian in the middle, and a Radian in the driver side outboard position. The only problem is that the Sedona doesn't have a tether anchor in the middle back seat; there are only 2 (on either outboard position). Is this a problem? Has anyone else been able to configure 3 seats in the back of an 06 Sedona? (Mine is the long wheel base with the 60/40 split seat and the wacky center seat belt that comes from the ceiling and isn't quite in the "middle").
Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It wouldn't be a problem right now because even at 20 pounds your littlest shouldn't forward face. So you put the two Radians for the olders outboard tethered, the 1 year old rear facing in the middle, then the baby in the captain's chair. You may need three Radians across the back, which is fine as they rear face to at least 40 pounds, so based on your older kids that would get you to 3-4 years for the little ones. If two forward and one rear don't work you could do two rear and one forward. Or try all three rear if you get ones with 45 pound rear facing limits.

Wendy

swtgi1982

I second the new 45lb RF radians. I would RF the youngest two current kids right now and FF the oldest. Three radians should fit in the back, may be the only ones to fit in that tight situation. My DD will be four in 6wks and still is ERFing! Picture in siggy.

Here is a link to them on sale
http://www.babyviva.com/brands/10/1/sunshine-kids.html

twenty percent off is not bad plus free shipping!

firemomof3

I have an 06 Sedona :love:
I have been able to get a few different configurations with 3 across the 3rd row :thumbsup: I will say that getting at least 1 Radian is going to be essential. Getting a Radian installed in that middle position in the 3rd row is horrible! But I've been able to get 2 Radians outboard with a Britax Parkway in the middle. How does your 4.5y/o sit in a booster? If he does sit still/correctly then I would suggest buying a Parkway SG for him for the middle spot. You can turn your 3y/o back rf and put him in a Radian, or would you want to keep him ff? I can try to fit a Graco Nautilus in the center flanked by a Radian & Parkway.
I also have a Recaro Young Sport and they are great but for your situation I would sell both :(
I will head out and try to get some different configurations (it'll give me an excuse to play :p). Here is what I've had so far:
Parkway, MyRide, Radian
threeacross013.jpg

MyRide, Parkway, Radian
garretintruefit001.jpg

urchin_grey

Yes, your 1yo should still be rear facing for a long while yet, and ideally, your 3yo would be rear facing as well. I'd also rather see your 4yo harnessed so I'd try 3 Radians - 1yo and 3yo rear facing and 4yo forward. :)

For what its worth, my 25lb 4.5 year old is still rear facing. :) It is 500% safer and the old recommendation to forward face at 20lbs/1yo is waaaay outdated.

firemomof3

OK, so I tried getting the Nautilus in the middle flanked by Radians but couldn't do it :( The Radian will not install in the middle of the 3rd row. I know Gypsy has an 06 Sedona so hopefully she can chime in.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Radian is incompatible in the 3rd row, center position.

I'd avoid a booster in a 3 across for as long as possible, it's so much easier to buckle 3 harnesses than ANY booster when there isn't any room to reach between the seats.

If these were MY kids, I'd rear face the 1 & 3YO in Radian XTSL's in the 3rd row, and put a Nautilus in the center for the 4YO.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
OK, so I tried getting the Nautilus in the middle flanked by Radians but couldn't do it :( The Radian will not install in the middle of the 3rd row. I know Gypsy has an 06 Sedona so hopefully she can chime in.

Weird!

I had a Monterey, Nautilus, Radian back there, I don't see why a Radian wouldn't fit where the Monterey was -- did you install seatbelt or LATCH?

firemomof3

I first installed the Radian rf using the seatbelt in the drives side outboard (as far over as I could), then I put the GN in the middle. I then tried to put the other Radian rf in the passenger side outboard but couldn't get it to squeeze in :confused: I was shocked that I couldn't get it in, but I *think* I could get it in using the seat belt...I was just too tired to try :eek:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I always installed them in the reverse order, I did the drivers outboard first because it shares the 60/40 bench with another seat, and it installs very far over - touching the console. Then the Nautilus, and then whatever you have left - the passenger outboard seat is the 40, and has a lot of room, even with the Nautilus sharing some of it's space.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all of the replies. I know it's safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible, but all of my kids have HATED it, and scream for much of the car ride. I think it's safer for them for me not to feel like I'm going to drive up a tree due to all the fussing and wailing! (I'm kidding, of course).
That being said, I'll see what I can figure for the 1 year old to stay rear facing for longer. Maybe with her brothers next to her she'll be less likely to get so angry!
Does the Radian fit rear facing and still allow room for someone to sit fairly comfortably in the captain's chair in front of it? It looks like a LONG seat. I definitely can't have a rear facing radian (or anything) in the middle position because the older kids wouldn't be able to get in their seats and I wouldn't be able to get back there to buckle them.

Firemom, are you actually able to reach the buckle for the Parkway next to the MyRide?? I beat up my hand something good trying to buckle a booster next to a forward facing Radian at the baby store. Also, will that Radian forward face with the other two forward facing or is it too tight a squeeze? That's looking like the best set of 3 seats to me, especially since my 4 1/2 year old is indignant about me putting him back in a harness.

-Caitlin

U

Unregistered

Gypsy, do you have a picture of the Monterey, Nautulus, Radian in the 3rd row? I'm curious as to how you buckled the Monterey... was it on the 40 section of the seat? Do you think that's a better choice than the parkway?

Thanks,
Caitlin

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So many people say that their kids hated it, so they flip them forward. What would you do if your one year old hated the gates at the top of the stairs? Your one year old hated that you took knives away? It's our job to keep our kids as safe as possible, and this is a safety issue as much as any other childproofing we do, and kids aren't given a say in what does or does not get childproofed. In fact, the car should be even more strict, because while we can keep an eye on a child at the top of the stairs, or teach them to use knives, we can't teach everyone else on the road to be a good driver.

Wendy

littleangelfire

Turning them forward, sadly, does not usually fix the hating the car ride problem. In fact, can make it worse. Because forward facing, when you try and put them in the seat they can wriggle until they slide all the way offf. Rear facing, they can wiggle all they want, but there's nowhere to go. lol

It also brings on a whole new issue: legs/bum falling asleep. Try this: go sit on your kitchen counter (assuming your feet can't touch the floor when you do this). Sit there a bit. At some point, your legs will fall asleep and be uncomfortable. Can also cause some back pain. Rear facing, where the child has somewhere to rest their legs/feet is much more comfortable.

Also, as Wendy said, its a safety issue, and a big one at that. If it were just a little bit safer to rear face, then that'd be different. But its not a little bit safer - its hugely life or death in an accident safer. Watch this video and compare how the kid looks forward facing vs. rear facing.:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA"]YouTube- Crash Test - Forward vs. Rear Facing[/ame] rear facing, the seat absorbs all the impact and the kid just sits there and rides it out. Forward facing, the kid is violently flung forward.

This is a bigger deal in little ones especially b/c as babies and toddlers, even as preschoolers, kids' heads are so much bigger in proportion to their bodies. Can cause internal decapitation.

And I second the reharnessing the 4 year old, or seeing if its possible, simply b/c a booster in a 3 across is no fun. Squeezing your hand between seats to get it buckled each and every time you get in and out is a pain. quite literally.,

ETA: OOOHH! I have an idea: you could put the child that's in a abooster (if you're going to keep him boostered) in one of the captain's chairs, and just move it to the back bench when needed. :)

Mama Jo

I just wanted to throw this out there as an FYI - the Nautilus hangs over the front edge of the 3rd row seat, which is technically against manufacturers instructions. When Gypsy had the Nautilus, this wasn't a hard, fast rule, and it was still 'ok' to overhang in harness mode.

As Gypsy said, a RN is completely incompatible with the middle seat unless you don't plan on using the drivers side outboard seat.

Since you likely aren't going to re-rear face the 3 year old, just be sure to keep the one year old rear facing to a minimum of age 2 (which is the AAP's minimum recommendations.) The 3 year old would be perfectly safe in a tethered RN with a SafeStop. This seat fits very nicely in either outboard position. I would put it drivers side, because it's the smaller of the 2 sides and it will leave you more room passenger side for a larger seat or to buckle a booster if you prefer to continue to use one.

You can fit a rear facing MyRide in the middle for the 1 year old, and because it sits up on a base, it's really not terribly difficult to buckle a booster next to it on the other side. My first choice would be the Parkway SG, as a PP suggested. But the Graco TurboBooster would fit well also and and very budget-friendly. If your 4.5 year old sits well in a booster and you prefer to keep him in one.

Alternatively, the 4.5 year old would also fit well in a forward facing radian, if you would consider putting him back in a 5 point harness. It would be easier to buckle and you wouldn't risk unbuckling the middle carseat on accident, but that's completely up to parental discretion.

The most important point I'd like to reiterate is that you should leave the 1 year old rear facing. Whether or not you choose to re-rear face the 3 year old or re-harness the 4.5 year old isn't as important an issue as keeping the 1 year old rear facing to at least 2.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks Mama Joe,

I have a Roundabout for my 1 year old at the moment. Do you know if the base on that is comparable to the base on the My Ride as far as height goes? I'm wondering if that would fit as well with a booster on the 40 split side and a FF Radian on the driver side?

Thanks,
Caitlin

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I just wanted to throw this out there as an FYI - the Nautilus hangs over the front edge of the 3rd row seat, which is technically against manufacturers instructions. When Gypsy had the Nautilus, this wasn't a hard, fast rule, and it was still 'ok' to overhang in harness mode.

As Gypsy said, a RN is completely incompatible with the middle seat unless you don't plan on using the drivers side outboard seat.

You are absolutely right on both points. When I had a Nautilus it was ok to have some overhang, and because it was ok then, I have a hard time remembering that it's not ok anymore. Thank you for pointing it out to me politely :) I think I'll remember now :eek:

Mama Jo

Thanks Mama Joe,

I have a Roundabout for my 1 year old at the moment. Do you know if the base on that is comparable to the base on the My Ride as far as height goes? I'm wondering if that would fit as well with a booster on the 40 split side and a FF Radian on the driver side?

Thanks,
Caitlin

If you put the booster passenger side, rear facing roundabout center, and forward facing radian drivers side, that should work. I've been able to get a Turbo, rf Boulevard, and ff Radian in there just fine with plenty of room to buckle the booster.

You are absolutely right on both points. When I had a Nautilus it was ok to have some overhang, and because it was ok then, I have a hard time remembering that it's not ok anymore. Thank you for pointing it out to me politely :) I think I'll remember now :eek:

The only reason I remember is because I was having an issue with it, and I remember discussing it with you and looking back over the old pictures, and that was what made me decide to get rid of the Nautilus. ;)

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much!
I'm going to try my neighbor's turbobooster with the RF Roundabout and a FF Radian at the store and see how well my husband and I can buckle the booster. Hopefully that'll be exactly what I need and then I can decide whether to go with the Graco or the Britax for the booster.

Caitlin

U

Unregistered

Sorry to keep pestering everyone. Has anyone done a Recaro Vivo in place of the Parkway or Turbobooster? It doesn't seem any wider (16.5" according to websites) but I wondered if the shape was compatible with the RF Roundabout and whether there was room to buckle it.

Thanks,
Caitlin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC