Graco Nautilus Installation

akameme

Hi, i posted in another thread about fitting the car seat for Jake, but I'm going to set up the first car seat for Becca. Becca will be 3 on Monday, but she is almost 33 lbs and 36 inches tall.

First, i want to confirm that i've adjusted the seat correctly. I've threaded the straps through the second slot.

also, what is the extra strap that came with the car seat that has a red buckle type thing. i can't find it in the manual.

Last edited:
ADS

Evolily

The strap is for backless booster mode. It postions the shoulder belt.

If you take a ruler, and put it into the slot while she is in the seat, you should be able to tell if she's in the right slot (it's hard to tell in a photo).

|/ If it pokes out at this angle it's outgrown
| (angling up from the slot)

|_ If it pokes out at this angle it's even, and about to be outgrown
| (angling out from the slot)

| If it pokes out at this angle it's good
|\ (angling down from the slot)

akameme

Thanks!

dumb question, regarding the ruler, should she be strapped in? Or just in the seat...sorry i'm pretty dense about this stuff.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just in. If she's that close that strapping her in is moving her down I'd move the harness up.

And when in doubt, go up.

Wendy

akameme

thanks guys! Am i correct that there are two positions for the buckle b/t the crotch?

Also, I was right to remove that pad from the buckle, it was part of the additional padding for a smaller kid?

The installation was pretty easy, but I need to double check the strap height. The third strap seems way too far above her.

Can you explain more what you mean by pushing her down? Sorry for all the uqestions.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
thanks guys! Am i correct that there are two positions for the buckle b/t the crotch?

Two or three, I can't remember off the top of my head. I think two. You want the one closest to her that isn't under her sit bones.

Also, I was right to remove that pad from the buckle, it was part of the additional padding for a smaller kid?

No, it's a comfort pad for anyone. You can have it on or take it off. Same with the shoulder strap covers.

The installation was pretty easy, but I need to double check the strap height. The third strap seems way too far above her.

There is no too far. If her shoulders are above the slot below then the straps go up, even if they were by her ears. In fact seats used to be like that when only the top slot was reinforced for forward facing. So you'd have these tiny one year old 20 pounders in seats with the straps up at their ears and that was 100% right.

Can you explain more what you mean by pushing her down? Sorry for all the uqestions.

Just that if she's so close to the slot that putting her in and tightening the harness will move her down to under it, it's time to move them up. That's all.

Wendy

akameme

thank you! I pulled out their Marathons, here is Becca moved up to the 3rd slot. I'm guessing this is correct based on your above direction, thank you for your continued patience. I'll adjust the Graco tomorrow.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
thank you! I pulled out their Marathons, here is Becca moved up to the 3rd slot. I'm guessing this is correct based on your above direction, thank you for your continued patience. I'll adjust the Graco tomorrow.

Uh..okay, the thing is, pictures can make things look different than they are in real life, but that looks wrong to me.
I see 3 visible slots in the pic. The lowest slot I can see seems to be slightly below her shoulders. You should not use that one. The second slot in the pic I can see appears, from the photo, to be the cvorrect slot to put the harness in..it lokks like it is above her shoulders, but the closest one above her shoulders. The third, top slot, the one you have placed the harness in, looks too high....it seems completely unnecesary, from the pic, to put the straps that high, since the slot below seems to be above the childs shoudlers.

Maedze

The trouble is the way you're taking the photographs :eek:

For us to get a good idea of whether or not the straps are in the right position, the camera needs to be positioned at the side of the child, exactly parallel to the floor and perpendicular to the rise of the child, dead even with the child's shoulder.

akameme

I'll try again tonight. What confuses me is Wendy's post that you really can't have it too high.

We were using the third slot (the second one visible in the picture.)

After work I'll try to get a better picture. Becca won't cooperate right now.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me.

akameme

Here is Jake in his Marathon.

I should add, I previously had it through the slot just at his shoulder and it looked like the strap was rounding over his shoulder.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC