Why a carbed to 35 pounds?

NannyMom

Title pretty much says it all. What are the current weight limits on car beds? And why would we need one for a child up to 35 pounds? Any expamples of special needs that would require it?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The current car beds are short and do not last long. Not good at what special needs would need it, but I know of a 3 yr old that has to lay down. Right now he can only travel by ambulance.

NannyMom

But I thought there was something..... not a car bed.... but some kind of harness a bigger person could use while laying down? I thought I saw it when I took my course (probably just pics of it).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
But I thought there was something..... not a car bed.... but some kind of harness a bigger person could use while laying down? I thought I saw it when I took my course (probably just pics of it).

There is, but I don't imagine it fits little kids very well. (And I don't know what the lower weight limit is for it.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The modified EZ-On vest allows bigger kids to lay down.

There are lots of kids who would benefit from a 35lb carbed. I'm sure my SN course instructors threw a little party when they heard this was coming out ;). Pierre-Robin sequence is the one situation which comes to mind, but there are lots.

NannyMom

Various disabilities can require the child to lay in a flat position during transit, as can body casts.

This is what they use for older/bigger children http://www.ezonpro.com/products/medicalTransport/modifiedVest/101M2.shtml

There is, but I don't imagine it fits little kids very well. (And I don't know what the lower weight limit is for it.)

I see it says 20-100 pounds. Children 5-10. But has instructions for children under 30 inches.

Great for long trips...for all children!

Now a child can nap comfortably in the car, and parents can have peace of mind knowing that their child is safely secured to the vehicle’s seat belts
:eek: Is that really safe? I thought this would be a last/only resort kind of product. Especially when they also say :
Place pillows for comfort and protection in case of a crash.

Evolily

fwiw- I don't think anyone is buying those things so their typical child can lay down on long trips ;) . Waaay too much work.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, but sad that they are marketing it like an acceptable system for "all children", and you know there are people out there who would use it.

bp2002

NICU's in boston currently use 2 types of car beds..

angel ride is a tiny one, for up to 9lbs

and the cosco dream ride is for 5-20 lbs. At my hospital they used to make all kiddo's under 5lbs go home in a dreamride.. it took some education for them to realize the dreamride was a 5lb minimum also, and some infant seats have 4lb lower limits.

the problem with the angel ride is that its soo tiny that most 6lbers dont fit...so generally it is only usable for a short time, then they need retesting for a regular infant seat.

The dreamrides worked well for the bigger kids that failed a carseat test, or had a medical need to lay down..

I dont work with the kiddo's that would need a bigger carbed.. anyone have a link? what does it look like?

NannyMom

NICU's in boston currently use 2 types of car beds..

angel ride is a tiny one, for up to 9lbs

and the cosco dream ride is for 5-20 lbs. At my hospital they used to make all kiddo's under 5lbs go home in a dreamride.. it took some education for them to realize the dreamride was a 5lb minimum also, and some infant seats have 4lb lower limits.

the problem with the angel ride is that its soo tiny that most 6lbers dont fit...so generally it is only usable for a short time, then they need retesting for a regular infant seat.

The dreamrides worked well for the bigger kids that failed a carseat test, or had a medical need to lay down..

I dont work with the kiddo's that would need a bigger carbed.. anyone have a link? what does it look like?

I don't think the bigger one is designed yet. Or at least not produced yet.

newbiema

This is pretty random, but I remember watching a TLC special on a set of conjoined twins, and they needed to ride in a car bed for some time. Although that is pretty rare, that would be one example of a SN that would require a car bed with a higher weight limit.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC