Question Our Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 is too big, new car coming

mwhouser

We currently are using an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 convertable for my 11 month old son (22 lbs). rear facing.

Currently, in our Chrysler Neon (2000) and Chevy Malibu (1999), it's very difficult to get the level marker to be level. To much forward-back room is needed with many towels/pillows under the seat. My opinion is that the bench angles too far back to be good for car seats.

When I borrowed my dad's Dodge Caravan (2006), the middle seat had to be all the way back with the front seat all the way forward in order to fit the seat in place. Even then, the level marker was still at a 10 or 15 degree angle.

We are currently looking to buy a new Honda CR-V (2010) and the car seat size is a concern for me.

(a) Should I be having this much trouble with this seat? or
(b) Should I see about getting another seat brand for the CR-V?

If (b), what is currently recommended in Canada? Back in 2008, this thread recommended some seats. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=52376
Have these changed? What would fit best in a CR-V, placed on passenger side?

Thanks,
...Matt

ADS

canmom

Hi and Welcome to c-s.org :).I don't think you need to buy a new vehicle to accomodate your car seat, I'm sure we can help you get your seat installed with enough space.

At 11 months old your son no longer needs his seat installed at a 45 degree angle. This angle is advised for newborn babies in order to keep their airway open. Once a child has good head control their car seat can be installed more upright, as much as 30 degrees (although at 11 months I would keep it more reclined than that). Another thing that might help is taking the base off of your 3 in 1 seat as this can give you significantly more front to back space.

If your comfortable posting your location their may be a tech on this board that can meet with you in person and help you with your seat.

ETA: I just noticed you mentioned towels and pillows to recline your seat. A tightly rolled towel is acceptable but a pillow would not be a good idea. A pillow would compress a lot in a crash and leave your install very loose. I prefer to use pool noodles if at all possible (although difficult to find this time of year ;)... most techs would have them on hand though).

mwhouser

canmom,

Thanks for your reponse. To clarify, we're not upgrading the car because of the car seat. We're upgrading because the Malibu has turned into a money pit. However, due to my experience with the Eddie Bauer so far, car seat real estate in general are a concern for me for the CR-V.

I am glad that I don't have to get to that incline level now. It's very tough. I will also try removing the base to see if that improves things.

Is it "normal" with today's rear-facing seats that legroom in the seat ahead is squished, and it's just something people have to live with while the seat is rear-facing? One would think that this would be something the smart car people could resolve :)

...Matt

jess71903

Ambassador
canmom,

Thanks for your reponse. To clarify, we're not upgrading the car because of the car seat. We're upgrading because the Malibu has turned into a money pit. However, due to my experience with the Eddie Bauer so far, car seat real estate in general are a concern for me for the CR-V.

I am glad that I don't have to get to that incline level now. It's very tough. I will also try removing the base to see if that improves things.

Is it "normal" with today's rear-facing seats that legroom in the seat ahead is squished, and it's just something people have to live with while the seat is rear-facing? One would think that this would be something the smart car people could resolve :)

...Matt

I'm not Canadian, but my DH is 6'4" and drives with the seat all the way back. He can keep his seat where he usually uses it and have our True Fit rear-facing behind it (we have an Explorer, which doesn't have as much back-seat room as you would think for an SUV!). It looks to be a big seat, but it really is good on front-to-back room.

amyd

...Matt

No, it's really not normal & is actually unsafe for the front seat passenger to be too close to the airbag. In my experience, 3-in-1's almost always install better with the base removed. I actually just helped a parent with one in a small car (can't remember exactly what) a few weeks ago. Her son was about the same age as yours & we removed the base, and used 2 pool noodles to recline it a bit (you won't be able to find pool noodles this time of year in Canada, though so tightly rolled & taped together towels are fine) & it fit beautifully. It's definitely possible!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Taking the base off the seat almost always gives an extra 1.5" room minimum in the front seat.

When was your seat manufactured? Is it a 30lb rf'ing and 40lb ff'ing seat, or a 35lb rf'ing and 50lb ff'ing seat?

If it is one of the 30/40 seats, then that level indicator on the belt guide is WAY off. There's nothing in CMVSS standards requiring level indicators for a rf'ing seat, while there is in FMVSS. So there were problems with the belt guides quite awhile ago and instead of destroying them, they all got used on Canadian seats. When following the line level to ground with those belt guides, it actually results in the seat being installed much more reclined than 45*.

If you can take a picture of the seat installed as straight on from the side as possible - on level ground, we'll be able to tell you if the angle is ok or not. A pyramid of pool noodles is acceptable to get the recline and may be easier than rolled towel depending on the vehicle. You can vary how much recline is provided by a towel by varying the thickness of the towel and size of the towel you use.

The seats with a 35/50 limit have accurate line-level-to ground indicators from what I've seen, but as already mentioned, you don't have to have that line level to ground at your ds' age. :thumbsup:

babysafe

Hi and Welcome to c-s.org :).I don't think you need to buy a new vehicle to accomodate your car seat, I'm sure we can help you get your seat installed with enough space.

At 11 months old your son no longer needs his seat installed at a 45 degree angle. This angle is advised for newborn babies in order to keep their airway open. Once a child has good head control their car seat can be installed more upright, as much as 30 degrees (although at 11 months I would keep it more reclined than that). Another thing that might help is taking the base off of your 3 in 1 seat as this can give you significantly more front to back space.

If your comfortable posting your location their may be a tech on this board that can meet with you in person and help you with your seat.

ETA: I just noticed you mentioned towels and pillows to recline your seat. A tightly rolled towel is acceptable but a pillow would not be a good idea. A pillow would compress a lot in a crash and leave your install very loose. I prefer to use pool noodles if at all possible (although difficult to find this time of year ;)... most techs would have them on hand though).

Please contact Dorel to clarify your response as to having a 3-in-1 seat at a different angle than what is recommended by manufacture. I spoke to them a few weeks ago and you must recline this seat as per manufacturer's guidelines:)

mommycat

If it is one of the 30/40 seats, then that level indicator on the belt guide is WAY off. There's nothing in CMVSS standards requiring level indicators for a rf'ing seat, while there is in FMVSS. So there were problems with the belt guides quite awhile ago and instead of destroying them, they all got used on Canadian seats. When following the line level to ground with those belt guides, it actually results in the seat being installed much more reclined than 45*.
Wow, this is the first time I heard this and holy cow does it explain a lot! :whistle:

OP, all the suggestions you have received are great. Definitely try without the base and try a more upright install.

canadiangie

Please contact Dorel to clarify your response as to having a 3-in-1 seat at a different angle than what is recommended by manufacture. I spoke to them a few weeks ago and you must recline this seat as per manufacturer's guidelines:)

A 45 degree angle is required only for a newborn. Unfortunately, with the 9.5-10 inch bottom harness slots very few newborns will fit a 3-in-1 seat properly, so the point is almost moot.

Removing the base from a 3-in-1 seat and installing it at a more upright angle is common practice by well researched and up to date technicians. It helps with space issues and is also safer for older rear facing children.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
You have received lots of great info from others.

Im in Scarborough if you would like to come by and see me, I can help you figure out the install. You can PM me here.

canmom

As many qualified technicians have already explained in this thread, it is more than an accepted practice to install a seat more upright for older rfing children. It is imperative that you familiarize yourself with crash dynamics if you even question for a moment that children riding more upright than 45 degrees would be unsafe. I sincerely hope you are not interfering with Advanced Airbags or suggesting to people that they need to turn their children ffing earlier.

I would like to know exactly what Dorel said to you during your conversation with them. I hazard to guess what they said was to have the seat in full recline mode which is NOT the same as saying the seat needs to be installed at 45 degrees. You also need to be aware that it is really difficult for manufacturers to give exact guidelines in regards to this issue as every child develops at a different rate. This is where a bit of experience and common sense comes into our profession ;).

Given the screen name you have chosen, I am going out on a limb here.... I find it quite ironic given the other thread on this forum, that you of all people would be questioning my abilities as a technician. I sincerely hope you stick around this forum, there is a lot you could learn from the up to date and dedicated technicians here. Travel Safe :happy-wavehello:.

Last edited:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

Canmom is an established and respected member at Car-Seat.Org. As such, I am sure that if she makes a mistake, she would quickly correct it or be corrected by the instructors and other technicians/advocates who monitor this forum. You are more than welcome to participate in our forums and I hope you continue to do so. On the other hand, if there is some sort of personal or professional dispute involved, as suggested in this thread, I would ask that you please avoid bringing it to this forum. Thank you!

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Given the screen name you have chosen, I am going out on a limb here.... I find it quite ironic given the other thread on this forum, that you of all people would be questioning my abilities as a technician. I sincerely hope you stick around this forum, there is a lot you could learn from the up to date and dedicated technicians here. Travel Safe :happy-wavehello:.

If there is some sort of personal or professional dispute involved in this, I would ask that all parties keep any correspondence about it in private. We had a similar situation in the past that involved some type of professional dispute. Ultimately, both of those involved were asked to avoid participating in the same thread or to use the "ignore" feature. In failing to do that, the situation did not end very well. So, I would like to avoid a repeat of this. Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC