DD6yrs getting a new seat for Christmas

LM4M

CPST Instructor
DD asked for a new carseat for Christmas :love: Both sibs got new myrides recently and I guess she wasn't feeling the love. LOL

She wants a "pink or girl one".. her words. She is currently in a RN65 that I can move to the other car, so it's actually going to work out better for her to have a new seat... but I'm torn on what to get.

She wants something girly... so I thought either the pink sky frontier or one of those new girl prints on the RNXT?

She's 6yrs old, 48lbs and ALL torso. She's just under the top slots on the RN. Is the XT any taller or would I be wasting my money? Any other options?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The XT isn't taller. The Frontier would get you about 3/4" more of harness time, then tons of time as a booster. The Nautilus comes in pink as well and would give you slightly more harnessing time than the Frontier.

Wendy

3plus2isme

We have an XT & a FN... DS has the same amount of harness left in both but they're installed in 2 different vehicles (obviously lol) so maybe that has something to do with it.

autumnlily

We :love: our Miley Nautilus (and there are some other very pretty girly patterns)! And our Pink Sky Frontier... I don't think you could go wrong with either. If a 3 across isn't an issue - I'd skip the XTSL for now because she won't have the benefit of the great boosters the other seats turn into.

Maedze

If she's at 17 1/2", well, I personally wouldn't get the Frontier, just because I couldn't stomach spending nearly 300 dollars for what is going to be a booster in about 2 seconds time :twocents:

The Nauti might be a bit easier to swallow, or you could go right to booster-land and get her a pink Monterey :D

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I looked on the graco website, but can't find the height of the top harness slots. Anyone know what it is?

bubbaray

I vote for a pink Monterey. I have a pink Monterey, a pink Frontier and a pink Nautilus. At least for my kids, the FR has higher top slots than the GN. I also prefer the crotch strap adjustments on the FR and the 9 yr expiry (IIRC). But, honestly, of the three of those seats, I LOVE the Monterey.

Pixels

I looked on the graco website, but can't find the height of the top harness slots. Anyone know what it is?

I don't know the number off-hand, but it's essentially the same as the Frontier. Some people measure the Nauti as taller than the Frontier; some people measure the Frontier as taller than the Nauti. Some kids+vehicle+seating position combos have more room in the Nauti; some kids+vehicle+seating position combos have more room in the Frontier. I call it a wash.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Just read this. SKip my earlier post. I'd go right to the Monterey. I don't think you'll get much time out of the FR or the GN

I was afraid this would be the case :( I really, REALLY want to keep her harnessed. At this point, I'm not terribly worried on the cost aspect, and if it means 300 bucks for another 6 months, another year, whatever... I don't mind it. I hate the idea of putting her in a booster just yet. She's a very fidgety kid and she tinkers with things. She uses a turbo for every other weekend type deal thing... when going to g-mas house or to her friends house... for their car. But I don't want it for every day use.

Is there anything that will keep her harnessed longer... at any price? US seat or not? :whistle:

mommyx4

I was afraid this would be the case :( I really, REALLY want to keep her harnessed. At this point, I'm not terribly worried on the cost aspect, and if it means 300 bucks for another 6 months, another year, whatever... I don't mind it. I hate the idea of putting her in a booster just yet. She's a very fidgety kid and she tinkers with things. She uses a turbo for every other weekend type deal thing... when going to g-mas house or to her friends house... for their car. But I don't want it for every day use.

Is there anything that will keep her harnessed longer... at any price? US seat or not? :whistle:

My dd is almost 7 and is still harnessed in a Regent with plenty of room to grow. I'm with you wanting to keep her harnessed. I'm sure she could sit in a booster, but I know I would have to keep reminding her to not reach for something or to stop leaning, etc. I have alot of comfort knowing that she is still harnessed. On a side note, about 11 months ago, I switched her to a high back booster, the Parkway. Right after doing that I was in an accident. Thank god she was not with me. When the fire department took my seats out, they asked how old the girls were. It was the fireman who suggested I put her back in a harnessed seat. My 5 year old also rides in a Regent.

Kat_Momof3

the only thing to look at now is the Frontier and the Regent (and the Regent is being discontinued.

Honestly, I think the Frontier will buy you enough room (a little more than the Radian), but the Regent would buy you more.

However, the Regent may be impossible to find in a girly pattern, what with it being discontinued.

I'd get the Frontier not only because it is the tallest booster on the market and would keep her harnessed, but because I see you have another daughter (I think the two older ones are girls... that avatar is so small... :( )

You could always buy a Monterey when your second daughter outgrows the MR rearfacing and needs the Frontier... since the Frontier has a 9yr lifespan... and then switch them when the oldest needs some more booster height.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I was going to say pink monterey, also. She is the same size as my 4 year old (give or take a few pounds, dd is about 44 inches or so). And has the 17.5 inch torso. Here she is in the nautilus. SHe should have about a year left. I am getting my hands on a radian this week:whistle: so I can take pics of her in that, too so there could be some comparison.
IMG_8261_2.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC