Evenflo Symphony vs. Britax Boulevard REVISITED

U

Unregistered

I read this thread from last January: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=68715 and was wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with these two car seats since then -- we need a convertable carseat ASAP for our 16-month old and we are struggling to make a decision between these two seats. Thank you so much! K

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Why those two seats? They have shorter shells and lower weight limits and lower top slots than other seats out there (since January 40 pound rear facing convertibles have come out, and two seats now rear face to 45 pounds). The Symphony is very large front to back, and I personally hate the LATCH. So what is it about those two seats that draws you to them? Maybe we can help you find something that will last longer and more comfortably for your child. What car(s) do you drive?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We have a Lexus 330 and an old Honda CRV. These seats were recommened to us by a number of people. I need to by a convertable car seat ASAP, but I don't want to make a choice we will regret later. Thanks! K

NannyMom

How much does your 16 month old weigh?

Of those 2 seats, I'd choose the Boulevard. It has a higher weight limit. If other seats are an option, I'd recommend the Tre Fit or True Fit Premier (same as the TF, but with an antirebound bar), Or the Graco My Ride. The TF and TFP have taller top slots, more legroom, and a taller shell for rearfacing. The MR has more legroom than the Boulevard, and a higher rearfacing weight limit.

Maedze

We have a Lexus 330 and an old Honda CRV. These seats were recommened to us by a number of people. I need to by a convertable car seat ASAP, but I don't want to make a choice we will regret later. Thanks! K

Those two seats are seats I would probably pretty much never recommend, for all the reasons Wendy listed.

Look for a seat with a tall shell and high rear facing weight limit, to keep your child rear facing to the third or fourth birthday. After that, look for a higher forward facing weight limit and tall top slots, which will keep him harnessed until he's mature enough for a booster (usually around 5-6 years).

Seats that are commonly recommended include the Graco My Ride, the First Years True Fit, any of the Sunshine Kids Radians and the Safety First Complete Air.

Maedze

The Symphony goes to 65# FF now.

Yeah, it's not a bad seat, although it only rear faces to 35 pounds. Still not my favorite convertible or even in the top five. If they'd raise their rear facing weight limit to 40 and clarify their position on the head rest for rear facing, I'll re-evaluate though :cool:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

If those are the only two you'll consider, then the Boulevard.

Wendy

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
As has been said, neither of those 2 seats are amongst the top ones we would recommend.
When you are looking for a seat, of course you are looking for one that installs well in your vehicle, but in terms of use, you also want a tall shell andhigh rearfacing limit, so you can keep your child rearfacing as long as possible, as that is the single most important thing you can do for safety. Those seats have 35 lb rfing limits, and shorter shells, so they wont last nearly as long as many other seats, including seats that are substantially cheaper.
If i only wanted a 35 lb rfing seat, i'd get a truefit. Out of the seats you listed, I'd get a symphony 65. The blvd shell is just SO short, and the top slots are really low. If I were actually purchasing a convertible, I'd get a radian, complete air, myride or alpha omega 50-lb version.

steph_s

While those seats are safe, they will not be the best purchase you have ever made. You will likely end up needing to buy more seats in the future, they aren't the safest in terms of keeping your child rear facing (which is safer) longer and honestly they are super pricey for what you get. The low weight limits and low harness slots (remember most children outgrow a seat in height before weight when it comes to these older style seats) makes them a bit pointless. You will spend at least $220 on a boulevard, and $170 on the symphony.

You could get a trufit for $150 which will last longer, a Radian for $250 (my top pick because you won't need another seat until the child is ready for a booster nice high weight limits and nice high harness slots), a myride for $150, or a safety first complete air for $200.

Any of those seats would be better than the Symphony or boulevard and last your child much longer! All of those other seats with the exception of the Radian (I just don't know personally if it will work, but someone else would know) I know install in both of your vehicles.

U

Unregistered

Oh dear! Based on your comments, the seats I should be looking at are:

1) Graco My Ride
2) First Years True Fit or True Fit Premier
3) Safety First Complete Air
4) Sunshine Kids Radians

Now I have four seats to choose between instead of two! Sigh.
Since reviews on all these seats are mixed, does any recommend one over the others based on quality, safety record, and ease of use?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

K

steph_s

In order of what I would pick...

1. Radian- awesome seat! Will last most kids till booster age, has a 45lb rear facing limit. It can be tricky to install but not impossible in most vehicles. It's easier if you get the xtsl with the super latch that way you can use the lower latch anchors for install making it much easier. It can be tricky with the recline, but it's my top pick and an awesome seat! Also it's got a 9 year life span so it will last if you have future kids and it's the narrowest seat on the market so if you ever needed to do 3 across it makes it nice. Also great seat for travel. There are a lot of people on this board that you can get help with installs with even if it's just posting pictures and the problem. I wouldn't let the difficulties installing put you off though if you plan to rf the longest this is the seat to buy!

2. True fit- my second pick. It has nice high harness slots, is a wider heavier seat but still a great seat.

3. My ride- great rear facing limits, ok ff seat. Really nice sip and a good seat for the price. I LOVE this seat for rf kids, I honestly think it's one of the best seats out there in terms of comfort for the child, but I wish it lasted a tad longer ff.

4. CA- I like this seat, but I don't like this seat. I guess I haven't figured out why my love hate relationship with it. It is safe, nice limits on the seat, but something about it is just weird to me. Not a bad weird, but I don't get super excited about it for some reason??

kittykate

In order of what I would pick...

1. Radian- awesome seat! Will last most kids till booster age, has a 45lb rear facing limit. It can be tricky to install but not impossible in most vehicles. It's easier if you get the xtsl with the super latch that way you can use the lower latch anchors for install making it much easier. It can be tricky with the recline, but it's my top pick and an awesome seat! Also it's got a 9 year life span so it will last if you have future kids and it's the narrowest seat on the market so if you ever needed to do 3 across it makes it nice. Also great seat for travel. There are a lot of people on this board that you can get help with installs with even if it's just posting pictures and the problem. I wouldn't let the difficulties installing put you off though if you plan to rf the longest this is the seat to buy!

I just wanted to correct that the Radian only has an 8 year life span :)

OP, if you search this thread, you might be able to find out how the Radian installs in your vehicles.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! The Radian was on my original list, but I was frightened off by a thread I read on this blog: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=27530 questioning whether or not the Radian had adequate side-impact protection. Should I disreguard this thread and go ahead with the Radian? I think I can get a sale price right now on the 2009 XT at SmartMomma.com (or is the XT not worth the extra money)? Thanks! K

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That thread is two years old. :) Since then the Radian's rear facing weight limit has gone from 33 to 45 pounds (for two models, 40 for the rest) and that's the best thing you can do for side impact. Rear face as long as possible. Second, the XT has come out, which has wings. There are no standards for side impact, so we can't say that the Radian is better or worse, but if you like wings they're on the XT. However the wings are to stay up until the shoulders are in the third slot (I believe it's the third slot) so a lot of rear facers won't be using them for a while. Again, though, rear facing is the best thing for side impact.

The XT is fine, the XTSL has a 45 pound rear facing limit and the SuperLATCH connectors, which mean if your car is made after September 1, 2005 you can use LATCH for as long as you use the seat. The regular XT doesn't have these connectors, and it has a 40 pound rear facing limit.

Wendy

G8r4evr

We really liked the Symphony. For RF the only downside was that it was huge (front to back) in our Jetta.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

MANDY1234

Thanks! The Radian was on my original list, but I was frightened off by a thread I read on this blog: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=27530 questioning whether or not the Radian had adequate side-impact protection. Should I disreguard this thread and go ahead with the Radian? I think I can get a sale price right now on the 2009 XT at SmartMomma.com (or is the XT not worth the extra money)? Thanks! K

You can get a better price than what they are offering...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106341

luvsviola

I concur with the previous posters. I love my True Fit Premier. I have 2 Boulevards because it was supposed to be the best 3 years ago when I bought them. The seat is not deep and DD has no legroom. We finally turned her FF at 2.75 in my moms car in her Boulevard, and bought her a TFP for DH's car (her primary car she rides in). Boulevards are nice for about 4 months to about 18 months, but I would love to trade them in for something else. However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my TFP.

AmandaR

I've had a Boulevard and currently have a True Fit, True Fit Premier, and Radian. I love the True Fit Premier. Best seat I have so far. I hate my Radian. It is hard to install and is so reclined. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC