talk to me about carriers... again

Cryssy Jane

I have an ergo and :love: it, but it's a bit bulky to shove in the diaper bag.
I have a k'tan and HATE it. I tried it from rave reviews from some moms here but just can't find the wrap love.
I have a bjorn and HATE it. Used maybe twice, I can't stand it.
I have a snugli and liked it until I tried something else.
I've had a moby and just couldn't find the wrap love.
Not a big sling fan.

For now will be used for Savannah who is 7 months (5 months adj), not sitting unassisted yet, worn on front, roughly 14.5 lbs.

However on the rare occasion that she's in the stroller (yeah right) would be nice to use with Odin as well. He's 20 months, running, roughly 28 ish lbs. Loves to be worn on your back.

So what's a good semi-structured carrier that will hold both kiddos that isn't super bulky when it's just us going out? Willing to sell some of the above to fund as well but would like to keep below $120 at max. Willing to purchase gently used as well.

ADS

BananaBoat

We :love: our Beco for DD who's 25/26 lbs - front or back is comfy & I find it less bulky than the Ergo.

Also the Pikkolo is MUCH less bulky & quite nice. :thumbsup:

Pixels

I'm watching this thread because my DD isn't too much smaller than Odin and I want a carrier for her. Are any of the carriers particularly good for a child who likes to throw herself off?

zactayaus

Just wanted to add that I'm in :love::love::love: with my beco.

I have an ergo that I used for one week and it's sitting in my closet now. Just never felt the love for that thing. I tried it on again a few days ago and it just reconfirmed that there's no love there.:(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you specifically opposed to a ring sling? They take a bit of getting used to (but just a bit), take up almost zero room, and are the most versitile things you can use.

I use my ring sling constantly for DD (8 mo, 16 lbs) in the front-pouch (facing out) and hip carries. I love it so much I'm having my mom make me a few more.

(For the record, I LOVE my BabyHawk, too.)

Cryssy Jane

Are you specifically opposed to a ring sling? They take a bit of getting used to (but just a bit), take up almost zero room, and are the most versitile things you can use.

I use my ring sling constantly for DD (8 mo, 16 lbs) in the front-pouch (facing out) and hip carries. I love it so much I'm having my mom make me a few more.

(For the record, I LOVE my BabyHawk, too.)

I can't find the sling or wrap love. Neither feel very secure to me and I never seem to be able to get them tight enough to where baby isn't flopping all over the place.

Cryssy Jane

Just wanted to add that I'm in :love::love::love: with my beco.

I have an ergo that I used for one week and it's sitting in my closet now. Just never felt the love for that thing. I tried it on again a few days ago and it just reconfirmed that there's no love there.:(

lol it's because of your beco love that has me interested in one :whistle: Since you talk about how awesome it is all the time.

zactayaus

lol it's because of your beco love that has me interested in one :whistle: Since you talk about how awesome it is all the time.

:thanx!:

Well the beco isn't so small that it could fit in a diaper bag (unless it was a really big diaper bag). But I can hang it from the stroller handle or off the strap of my diaper bag. LOL.

Here's some pics of my beco all ready for travel next to my standard issue similac hospital freebee diaper bag.:p

becopics001.jpg

becopics002.jpg

becopics004.jpg

Cryssy Jane

I have a diaper dude diaper bag... lol I :love: how small that rolls up compared to my ergo though. Now just gotta get the TF to sell so I have a little money since I just bought a gn on sale :whistle:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For Savannah, I'd highly recommend a BabyHawk... I got one this summer for S, he was 4 mos and 18 or so pounds. We did mostly back carries, but his mom uses it for front. However, now at 22 pounds, I'm looking for something more structured, so it might not work for Odin. However, I can fit one (along with some clothes & diapers) easily in the above standard-issue Similar diaper bag.

I think my BH was $80 in store, and it was money well spent IMO. I've tried the sling, stretch wrap, woven wrap, etc, and while they were all do-able for me, none of them were as natural or automatic for me as the BH was.

Is there a store near you that has carriers you can try on? We have one here that I can take the kids to and use the carrier for a bit.

Cryssy Jane

For Savannah, I'd highly recommend a BabyHawk... I got one this summer for S, he was 4 mos and 18 or so pounds. We did mostly back carries, but his mom uses it for front. However, now at 22 pounds, I'm looking for something more structured, so it might not work for Odin. However, I can fit one (along with some clothes & diapers) easily in the above standard-issue Similar diaper bag.

I think my BH was $80 in store, and it was money well spent IMO. I've tried the sling, stretch wrap, woven wrap, etc, and while they were all do-able for me, none of them were as natural or automatic for me as the BH was.

Is there a store near you that has carriers you can try on? We have one here that I can take the kids to and use the carrier for a bit.

babyhawk looks really bulky to me. I haven't been too impressed with mei tai carriers, I have a terrible time getting them tight.

I could go to seattle, but other than that the only other store near me that has carriers has ergos, peanut shells, and bjorns.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't find the sling or wrap love. Neither feel very secure to me and I never seem to be able to get them tight enough to where baby isn't flopping all over the place.

That's how I felt about ring slings initially, too. After a couple sessions of trial and error, I got it down pat. It makes so much sense and is so intuitive once you figure it out. Ring slings can be found pretty inexpensively, so you might want to give it another try. I've never used a wrap so I can't comment on that.

sb518

I'm watching this thread as well. I'm not going to love trying to use the Moby in muddy parkinglots.

I just looked up the Beco - $200 for a baby carrier!? HOLY CRAP!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm watching this thread as well. I'm not going to love trying to use the Moby in muddy parkinglots.

I just looked up the Beco - $200 for a baby carrier!? HOLY CRAP!

Check here, on DS, and on thebabywearer; I got mine on here for $60! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC