Introduction

katemass

Hi all,

I've lurked here a lot and only posted a few times, but since I logged on to answer a post below I thought I might as well introduce myself. I'm Kate and I've been car seat obsessed since my older son was born in 1995. I also have nearly four-year-old twins. In my house and cars I currently have 2 Regents, 2 Marathons, 1 Roundabout, 2 Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertibles, 2 Fisher Price Stay-in Views, and a Britax Laptop. I won't even go into detail about the other seats I've had and gotten rid of over the years, but there have been a lot.

I live in a community with a high density of highly educated people middle- and upper-middle-class people and I see lots of Britax seats around town, but I'm constantly dismayed by how few of them seem to be used right. When my now 11-year-old was an 8 and 9 year old who rode in a booster all kinds of friends used to remind me that the law didn't require it. My favorite comeback was to say that I was a lot more concerned about the laws of physics than the laws of Massachusetts!

One of these days I'll get certified so I can put my obsession to good use. I haven't been able to find a class listed in my area on the SafeKids website. Anyone know any other place to look for them?

Thanks for all the good info you regular posters put out here. It's so nice to know there are other people out there in the world like me!

Kate

ADS

gwenvet

Welcome, from a former Bostonian who now lives in Indiana. Are you watching the game tonight? We're making a comeback.;)

Tara

Ok, sorry, first I must say "stupid colts!"

LOL

Dh's been watching the game. They didn't seem to want to play the first half of the game..now...now...when The Apprentice is on, they decide they want to play again so we must finish out the game. Geesh!

Ok, back to topic......................
Hello, nice to meet you Kate :)
I own one of those lovely Fisher Price Safe Embrace seats as well. Though, it expires this year, December, so I get to enjoy it for the rest of the year, but still, after this year, I must say goodbye. I don't think I'm ready for that *sniff* But I have a Roundabout going out of commission first, so, maybe once I get through that trauma, the FP won't hit nearly so hard ???

JaRylan

When my now 11-year-old was an 8 and 9 year old who rode in a booster all kinds of friends used to remind me that the law didn't require it. My favorite comeback was to say that I was a lot more concerned about the laws of physics than the laws of Massachusetts!

Hi Kate,

I like your comeback!

Nice to meet you!

I'll have to remember that comeback of yours! My middle two (7 and 9y/o) are in HBBs. So far we don't know many people here in our new community to get comments, but I'm sure they'll come along eventually... :rolleyes:

gwenvet

Ok, sorry, first I must say "stupid colts!"
LOL
Dh's been watching the game. They didn't seem to want to play the first half of the game..now...now...when The Apprentice is on, they decide they want to play again so we must finish out the game. Geesh!

Not so stupid anymore...huh?! I'm not much of a football fan but that was good! Sorry Kate, but welcome!:)

Tara

No no ... hehe I was calling them "stupid colts" for the fact that they were now interrupting my show LOL
Just harrassing dh ;)
But no, certainly can't call 'em stupid now...they did well :D

*but they STILL interrupted my show ... stupid colts LOL*

katemass

Thanks, everybody, for the nice welcome. I've never watched a football game in my life, I'm afraid. I hate the fact that my FP seats are going to expire too, even though I'm done with them. They were so great. . .

Kate

southpawboston

Hi all,

I've lurked here a lot and only posted a few times, but since I logged on to answer a post below I thought I might as well introduce myself. I'm Kate and I've been car seat obsessed since my older son was born in 1995. I also have nearly four-year-old twins. In my house and cars I currently have 2 Regents, 2 Marathons, 1 Roundabout, 2 Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertibles, 2 Fisher Price Stay-in Views, and a Britax Laptop. I won't even go into detail about the other seats I've had and gotten rid of over the years, but there have been a lot.

I live in a community with a high density of highly educated people middle- and upper-middle-class people and I see lots of Britax seats around town, but I'm constantly dismayed by how few of them seem to be used right. When my now 11-year-old was an 8 and 9 year old who rode in a booster all kinds of friends used to remind me that the law didn't require it. My favorite comeback was to say that I was a lot more concerned about the laws of physics than the laws of Massachusetts!

One of these days I'll get certified so I can put my obsession to good use. I haven't been able to find a class listed in my area on the SafeKids website. Anyone know any other place to look for them?

Thanks for all the good info you regular posters put out here. It's so nice to know there are other people out there in the world like me!

Kate

hi kate. so another taxachusetts resident, eh? welcome! from your desription of your high-density, high-education, middle-to-upper class digs i'm going to take a stab and make a wild guess that you live in cambridge? that's where i call home. okay, runner up guess is brookline.

i also looked into CPS training classes here and came up with nothing in the state... lame. :rolleyes: fortunately i found a training class in a small town in upstate NY very close to where we have a little summer place, so i may consider doing that this summer. i know that doesn't help your situation... did you try looking in rhode island or new hampshire?

katemass

Actually I wasn't specific enough--low population density, but a high concentration of highly educated professionals. I'm "out west" (as I once heard another Bostonian say) in Northampton.

A certification course in western NY might work for me; so might one in Connecticut. Are certifications transferrable from state to state?

Kate

southpawboston

Actually I wasn't specific enough--low population density, but a high concentration of highly educated professionals. I'm "out west" (as I once heard another Bostonian say) in Northampton.

A certification course in western NY might work for me; so might one in Connecticut. Are certifications transferrable from state to state?

Kate

i don't know, but i'm sure lots of others here know that answer. good question... i hadn't thought of it, but i would be getting mine in NYS but practicing in MA. and you mean eastern NY... east, west, it's all good :)

i lived in amherst as an undergrad :) still miss all the hooliganism and skinny dipping nights in puffer's pond :eek: is the iron horse still around? that was another regular haunt of mine...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Welcome!

CPS Certification is national. There may be other state requirements though, such as being a "senior checker".

katemass

Right, eastern NY, western MA. My fingers go faster than my brain sometimes.

Yep, the Iron Horse is still around. Puffers is still fun too. It really is a great place to live in most ways.

Great that certification is national. I'll have to look up courses in Connecticut. I really would like to get certified.

Kate

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC