In a Crash Today Pictures Included

InternationalMama

We all make errors, and fortunately there's usually someone there to correct them quickly, which is one of the reasons the board works so well :)

I've been there when you and KQ have clashed about this topic before and I absolutely don't want to get in the middle of it, :duck: but I do agree that sometimes people make honest mistakes when they are trying to help and rely on the forum-style conversation to make sure the right information is the one the person asking the question walks away with. I know I've been guilty of saying wrong things when it comes to American seats. But being corrected helps me (and I hope other people) learn more about the things I'm interested in and I hope in the end I help more people than I annoy. I'm sure that's what we're all hoping. :)

Maybe KetchupQueen you should convince your DH that your next carseat needs to be a Swedish one. You seem like you really want one of your own to play with. :) You could promise to only use it for kids who *need* it!

ADS

brightredmtn

Brightredmtn - could you take a picture of the clamp thing? (And no hurries, completely ok if it takes awhile!! Really, you need to be resting now & taking care of yourself & family, right?)
Not like I'm gonna be buying a $600 carseat tonight anyhow right!~

I'm not sure if DS would like the seat upright either, the Radian FF is straight upright and he's ok w/ it; I hate it when he falls asleep in it though. He hasn't slept in the XT ff'ing yet, hoping that one will be better, but better just to stay RF'ing and reclined, right?

Here's a thread from when I first got the seat. In this post there are pictures of the foot and it installed more upright:

http://car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=867666&postcount=56

Here's the whole thread with lots of pictures:

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=867666#post867666

Oh and I think if you order one through AdventureDad it's about $400 with shipping. My seat was just about $300 exactly in May, with the exchange rate (GBP since it was purchased in the UK) and I believe AD's shipping is less than $100.

lenats31

Hi,

In order to get more recline angle when installing the TWE with the clamp braced on the seat it is installed in you can route the seatbelt under the seat and across under the fabric and down through the beltguide on the other side.

Lena

Last edited by a moderator:

aclayton74

I am just happy you and your family are safe (with the exception of the ribs and concussion) and the car seat performed so well!!!

Adventuredad

:thumbsup: Ok, that is awesome! Do you do that for all seats you sell?

(my ins. when we were in a wreck DID want to know the seat type, I had to send them pictures showing the make / model on the seat)

I think it's a good "policy". People involved in a serious car crash are IMO better off focusing on family and less distractions are always better. Being in a car crash can also mean lots of expenses in a short time (not really car seats but rental car, insurance, medial expenses, etc) so a little relief is a nice gesture. Insurance companies aren't exactly known for being nice and:
personal:whistle:

Seat shell of TWE is about the same size as Radian but it allows far longer rear facing time due to kids being able to use seat until tip of ears are at top of seat shell. TWE also needs far less space compared to Radian and installation issues are rare unlike Radian.

Multi Tech and TWE allow the same FF and RF limits with one exception. TWE allow FF to 55 lbs with harness and seat belt, it's the only seat in Europe allowing this. Multi Tech does allow FF to 55 lbs as well but only with seat belt as a high back booster. FF harness limit is 40 lbs

Two-Way is one of few Swedish seats installed without a foot prop. it has a "wedge" which can be set in two different positions for different recline angle. In reality the eat can be installed at pretty much any angle just by placing it on the seat differently and leaning against front seat /dashboard (front seat install is very common in Sweden/Europe since it's as safe and very practical, airbag must be deactivated with key/switch).

Hope those ribs heal well:thumbsup:

brightredmtn

Another thing about the crash I'm just remembering. I always wondered what would happen if you were wearing glasses and got hit in the face with an airbag. Well the answer is they fly off your face, totally break and give you a cut between your eye and nose.

Although... My mom's glasses were fine. This goes along though with my thought that the brunt of my mom's airbag (driver's airbag) was taken in her chest and mine (the passenger) was taken to my head. Oh, my mom was wearing a very thick fleece and part of it burned all the way through! The doctor she saw was the first to notice this and said that if she hadn't been wearing such a thick shirt she would have had third degree burns.

InternationalMama

TWE allow FF to 55 lbs with harness and seat belt, it's the only seat in Europe allowing this. Multi Tech does allow FF to 55 lbs as well but only with seat belt as a high back booster. FF harness limit is 40 lbs[/B]

AD, do these seats also harness to 55 lbs FF? It's not clear to me from the webpage, but if they don't I don't know what would make them "special" in comparison to other EU seats.

Wow, OP, that sounds like an intense crash! So glad you're all doing okay!

I was thinking that maybe if you did want to use the clamp when the child was older and their head was over the top of the shell (so downward rotation might be more of a concern) that would probably also be at the age where they wouldn't hate the upright angle so much so it would all work out.

nmb

Hi,

In order to get more recline angle when installing the TWE with the clamp braced on the seat it is installed in you can route the seatbelt under the seat and across under the fabric and down through the beltguide on the other side.

Lena

:thumbsup:
Since you have both the TWE and the MT, if it's not too much of a pain, can you take a side-view pic of both seats installed? Just to comapre leg room & height of the two?
Is the MT in your sig as high as it goes or does it move up further?

Looking at brightredmtn's pics of the TWE it looks like that one would last plenty long enough w/ the European rules...........somehow when I had looked before it seemed like there was no point in buying anything but the MT, (I think since the Radian was the same height as a couple others, but I assumed the 1" rule), and it's expensive!! Not that any of them are cheap....

Another thing about the crash I'm just remembering. I always wondered what would happen if you were wearing glasses and got hit in the face with an airbag. Well the answer is they fly off your face, totally break and give you a cut between your eye and nose.

Although... My mom's glasses were fine. This goes along though with my thought that the brunt of my mom's airbag (driver's airbag) was taken in her chest and mine (the passenger) was taken to my head. Oh, my mom was wearing a very thick fleece and part of it burned all the way through! The doctor she saw was the first to notice this and said that if she hadn't been wearing such a thick shirt she would have had third degree burns
That's just scary! Wow. And that's with you guys stopped already, can you just imagine if you hadn't stopped yet??

Maedze

Although... My mom's glasses were fine. This goes along though with my thought that the brunt of my mom's airbag (driver's airbag) was taken in her chest and mine (the passenger) was taken to my head. Oh, my mom was wearing a very thick fleece and part of it burned all the way through! The doctor she saw was the first to notice this and said that if she hadn't been wearing such a thick shirt she would have had third degree burns.

When I was in a serious accident, my glass broke and cut my face too...no fun!

I also sustained a burn-type thing on my arm from the airbag.

brightredmtn

I also sustained a burn-type thing on my arm from the airbag.

My mom was reaching her arm across to save me :rolleyes:. I've ALWAYS told her that was stupid even when I was a kid and before airbags and certainly well before I knew anything about crash forces, she says it's just reflex. I hope now she's learned that's not going to do anything and can turn that reflex off. She has the biggest grossest bruise under where her shirt was burned. Did you get a big bruise too?

Maedze

My mom was reaching her arm across to save me :rolleyes:. I've ALWAYS told her that was stupid even when I was a kid and before airbags and certainly well before I knew anything about crash forces, she says it's just reflex. I hope now she's learned that's not going to do anything and can turn that reflex off. She has the biggest grossest bruise under where her shirt was burned. Did you get a big bruise too?

I also sustained an open skull fracture and a double pelvic fracture. I was bruised from head to foot. LOL.

brightredmtn

I also sustained an open skull fracture and a double pelvic fracture. I was bruised from head to foot. LOL.

Oh gosh! :eek: I'm going to stop complaining about my injuries.

When did your crash happen? What were you driving? Do you mind my questions? Please say yes if you do and I'm so sorry.

Maedze

Don't mind at all. I was 18 and driving like a total arse. I don't remember the details of the crash, but I head-onned a tree at about 40 mph after losing control of my car on a sharp curve (on a road with a 25 mph limit :rolleyes:)

I was driving a 94 Hyundai Elantra, manual transmission, wearing my seatbelt, and had active air bag deployment. Even with the seatbelt, I put my head through the windshield. I surely would have been ejected and probably killed without it.

The old oak tree still bears the scars....at least it's still standing. The car was totalled :p

My own ambulance squad cut me out of the car and drove me to the LZ where I was transported by lifeflight to the trauma center. Spent some time there, went home in a wheel chair. I was out of that pretty quickly, but my hips and head have never quite been the same :D

brightredmtn

Don't mind at all. I was 18 and driving like a total arse. I don't remember the details of the crash, but I head-onned a tree at about 40 mph after losing control of my car on a sharp curve (on a road with a 25 mph limit :rolleyes:)

I was driving a 94 Hyundai Elantra, manual transmission, wearing my seatbelt, and had active air bag deployment. Even with the seatbelt, I put my head through the windshield. I surely would have been ejected and probably killed without it.

The old oak tree still bears the scars....at least it's still standing. The car was totalled :p

My own ambulance squad cut me out of the car and drove me to the LZ where I was transported by lifeflight to the trauma center. Spent some time there, went home in a wheel chair. I was out of that pretty quickly, but my hips and head have never quite been the same :D

WOW! Thanks for sharing that. I'm suddenly interested in other people's car crashes.

Adventuredad

TWE allow FF to 55 lbs with harness and seat belt, it's the only seat in Europe allowing this. Multi Tech does allow FF to 55 lbs as well but only with seat belt as a high back booster. FF harness limit is 40 lbs[/B]

AD, do these seats also harness to 55 lbs FF? It's not clear to me from the webpage, but if they don't I don't know what would make them "special" in comparison to other EU seats.

Wow, OP, that sounds like an intense crash! So glad you're all doing okay!

I was thinking that maybe if you did want to use the clamp when the child was older and their head was over the top of the shell (so downward rotation might be more of a concern) that would probably also be at the age where they wouldn't hate the upright angle so much so it would all work out.

Yes, those two seats can also be used harnessed even longer than TWE but they are special needs seats. They are very heavy and incredibly bulky and not exactly cheap. I believe Recaro start also has to be special ordered and adapted to the child. These seats are very rare. I could sell he Traveller Plus but there is no demand for it.

lenats31

:thumbsup:
Since you have both the TWE and the MT, if it's not too much of a pain, can you take a side-view pic of both seats installed? Just to comapre leg room & height of the two?
Is the MT in your sig as high as it goes or does it move up further?

Looking at brightredmtn's pics of the TWE it looks like that one would last plenty long enough w/ the European rules...........somehow when I had looked before it seemed like there was no point in buying anything but the MT, (I think since the Radian was the same height as a couple others, but I assumed the 1" rule), and it's expensive!! Not that any of them are cheap....

That's just scary! Wow. And that's with you guys stopped already, can you just imagine if you hadn't stopped yet??

MT meassures 62 cm in harness mode (inside meassurement) It does go much higher without the harness. There is no doubt that the TWE leaves more leg room than the MT, as the MT must be installed right up against the rearseat back, whereas the TWE can be installedaway from it.

TWE is 60 cm. But since the MT has headwings, one won´t last longer than the other.

lena

november2009007.jpg

twowayelite008.jpg

December2008Januar2009002.jpg

InternationalMama

Lena, I was posting on another thread with someone who had an MT and she said that the MT -does- sit away from the seat back with a gap and in your pics it looks like it does too. And yet you say that it sits right up against the seat back in your post. Where is this discrepancy coming from? It looks like there might be some kind of plastic piece lower than the rest of the seat??

Hope that question makes sense! Also, is that the Kidfix HBB in the background of your pic? (Just curious. It looks like an MT. :))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC