booster questions

ADS

MomToEliEm

My DD (age 5) has similar stats to your DD. I have tried her in my older DD's monterey and it doesn't fit her well. It is too wide and doesn't seem to form well to her body. She works much better in our older style parkway. You may want to find a store near you that carries the monterey to see how it fits your child.

mommaon112903

Josef's stats and photos in both the old-style Parkway and the Monterey can be seen in my siggy. Josef :love: his Monterey but he also fits very well in his old-style Parkway.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Those Maxi Cosi's are way over-priced for what they are and are going to all have old DOM. I don't think my store sold a single one the entire time it was in store, and they all got returned to the warehouse a few months ago - probably due to lack of sales seeing as it's an online only item now...

I know Quassee has a Monterey that both her younger kids use and the belt fit is good on both of them and she really likes it. So it's definitely worth a try. :)

FWIW, I would spend the money on an Oobr any day of the week before I'd spend the money on the Maxi Cosi booster. The Oobr is more expensive, but at least you get what you pay for. The Maxi Cosi is just over-priced and nothing special. (honest personal opinion, which I'm not afraid to share when it comes to prices of seats, lol)

horseymom

ok, we will scratch the maxi Cosi LOL. I don't have a store here that carries the Monterey so I would have to order online. I do REALLY like it but I am so confused with if she will fit or not. Seems some kids do some don't. What are my other options? I want one with good SIP protecton as we have a older vehical and she is outboard.

selinajean

ok, we will scratch the maxi Cosi LOL. I don't have a store here that carries the Monterey so I would have to order online. I do REALLY like it but I am so confused with if she will fit or not. Seems some kids do some don't. What are my other options? I want one with good SIP protecton as we have a older vehical and she is outboard.

Where do you live? Any chance that someone here is near you and could let you look at theirs?

bubbaray

My DD#1, who weighs 41.5lbs and below average for height, went to a Monterey in my van about a month after she turned 5. Quassee loaned me hers and we did 2w of booster training. A number of techs checked out her fit at the check we did to get certified in May. She fits GREAT in the Monterey. She has a long torso and is quite skinny. I really love that seat.

horseymom

what do you concider a long torso? DD is about 16 last time I checked She has one more slot on her Frontier. (actually I need to move her up to the last one really soon)
Would it help if I measured her shoulder width? or posted a pic of her in the Frontier?

horseymom

what do you concider a long torso? DD is about 16 last time I checked She has one more slot on her Frontier. (actually I need to move her up to the last one really soon)
Would it help if I measured her shoulder width? or posted a pic of her in the Frontier?

Anyone?:shrug-shoulders:

mommaon112903

what do you concider a long torso?

My almost 6yr old son outgrowing the Regent due to torso length :eek: He will fully outgrow it before his seventh birthday and if he continues to grow like he has it will be fully outgrown around age 6.5yrs. This is the child whom started on the bottom slot at age 3.6yrs, yeah he is a torso man! :p

snowbird25ca

I'd say she has a slightly taller than average torso. My dd is about 16.5 to 17" I'm guessing based on how she fits seats. I haven't measured her in ages and since the actual # is rather irrelevant it seems when it comes to fit, I probably won't bother. :p

Based on how your dd fits the Frontier, I'd say she's about the same or a little taller than my dd unless you're losing a good bit of growing room in your vehicle.. that happens with the Frontier sometimes so it's hard to say 100% for sure... anyways, I know my dd has outgrown things by height that some kids aren't outgrowing until they're a year older than her, and your dd is a bit older than mine. So she may be a bit taller than average, but probably not a huge amount.

horseymom

I'd say she has a slightly taller than average torso. My dd is about 16.5 to 17" I'm guessing based on how she fits seats. I haven't measured her in ages and since the actual # is rather irrelevant it seems when it comes to fit, I probably won't bother. :p

Based on how your dd fits the Frontier, I'd say she's about the same or a little taller than my dd unless you're losing a good bit of growing room in your vehicle.. that happens with the Frontier sometimes so it's hard to say 100% for sure... anyways, I know my dd has outgrown things by height that some kids aren't outgrowing until they're a year older than her, and your dd is a bit older than mine. So she may be a bit taller than average, but probably not a huge amount.

thanks, she is 98% for height. and as tall as 6-7 years olds. But all kids are diffrent, right.

I just wonder if the montery will be too wide?

hipmaman

My son has a long torso. He has been as tall as an average child of 2 yrs older.

- He outgrew the Roundabout at around 2.5 yrs old by harness height
- switched to the Wizard and he outgrew that at about 4 yrs and 3 mos old
- He was at the top slots in the old SafeGuard Go at the same time (travel at the time).
- I tried him in the Radian when he just turned 6 yrs old and he was slightly edging over the top slots
- Tried him in his sister's True Fit when he just turned 7 and his shoulders were way over the top slots
- He finally outgrew the Husky/Regent by height this summer at 8 yrs old - that would be 21" torso, I think.
- He is 8.5 yrs old and currently in the Monterey, (old) Parkway - both at the top height. He is very thin but the Monterey and Parkway work well for him. He and I actually like the Monterey a lot.

April

What about the Parkway SG? It seems like it would be a good compromise between the old PW and the Monterey. I've owned all three and like the SG best for beginner booster riders. Off to find pics of my 4 year old in an old Parkway...

ETA: Here they are. She was 4 years and 3 months, exactly 40lbs, and tall for her age. *Disclaimer: She DOES NOT ride in a booster seat. This was just for taking pictures*

RaynPW3-1.jpg

RaynPW-1.jpg

RaynPW2-1.jpg

horseymom

What about the Parkway SG? It seems like it would be a good compromise between the old PW and the Monterey. I've owned all three and like the SG best for beginner booster riders. Off to find pics of my 4 year old in an old Parkway...

ETA: Here they are. She was 4 years and 3 months, exactly 40lbs, and tall for her age. *Disclaimer: She DOES NOT ride in a booster seat. This was just for taking pictures*

RaynPW3-1.jpg

RaynPW-1.jpg

RaynPW2-1.jpg

yes, thanks! I was also going to ask about the parkway! is it latchable? good for sleepers? have good SIP?
I DO want to get the SG attchemnt for the FR when it comes out but I als want booster as DS might go into the FR when he is FFing.
thanks for all the replies I really appreciated it :thumbsup:

oh.. where online or instore (Calgary) is a good place to buy the Monteray and the Parkway SG?

horseymom

Neither Parkway or Parkway SG is latchable. The PWSG has higher seatbelt guides than the Monterey and Parkway. Good SIP.

is being latachable good for any othr reason than not having to buckle it in when she not in it? or does it help in crashes (knock on wood)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC