unbuckled chest clip

melann

A child with special needs keeps unbuckling her chest clip. The family has tried several different car seats. Any solutions for this? Discipline may work for children who are typically developing but is unlikely to work for this child.

ADS

Kaede's_Mom

Have they tried the velcro trick? Use the rugh side of velcro on the buckle, makes it uncomftrable for most kids and they will leave it alone.

Pixels

Is the harness tightened correctly? Does the child do anything other than just unbuckling the clip, such as taking her (his?) arms out of the straps?

If the child is doing nothing but unclipping the chest clip, it's not a huge safety problem. The chest clip is there primarily as a pre-crash positioner, to make sure that the shoulder straps are in proper position on the shoulders at the moment of a crash.

You can try putting the prickly side of velcro on the chest clip. Some kids don't like the feeling and will leave it alone. Can the child do buttons and zippers? You can put a button-down or zipper shirt (whichever is harder for the child to undo) on, buckle the harness, and then fasten the shirt over the harness to keep hands away.

My next suggestion would be to try a different chest clip (by way of trying a different seat) because some are easier than others, but you have already done that.

If all else fails and the child is escaping the carseat, there are vest-type restraints that fasten behind the child's back. Wrist restraints are also an optional accessory for those who are particularly adept at escaping. It may seem cruel to handcuff and pin down a person, but it's only in the car to keep that person safe when there are no other options.

melann

Have they tried the velcro trick? Use the rugh side of velcro on the buckle, makes it uncomftrable for most kids and they will leave it alone.

No, they have not tried the velcro. That's a good idea but not sure the texture will bother the child. The other suggestion that I read is to use a shirt that buttons or zips thus closing the shirt over the harness/chest clip so access is limited. Thoughts about using a shirt that zips or buttons to prevent access to the chest clip?

melann

Is the harness tightened correctly? Does the child do anything other than just unbuckling the clip, such as taking her (his?) arms out of the straps?

If the child is doing nothing but unclipping the chest clip, it's not a huge safety problem. The chest clip is there primarily as a pre-crash positioner, to make sure that the shoulder straps are in proper position on the shoulders at the moment of a crash.

You can try putting the prickly side of velcro on the chest clip. Some kids don't like the feeling and will leave it alone. Can the child do buttons and zippers? You can put a button-down or zipper shirt (whichever is harder for the child to undo) on, buckle the harness, and then fasten the shirt over the harness to keep hands away.

My next suggestion would be to try a different chest clip (by way of trying a different seat) because some are easier than others, but you have already done that.

If all else fails and the child is escaping the carseat, there are vest-type restraints that fasten behind the child's back. Wrist restraints are also an optional accessory for those who are particularly adept at escaping. It may seem cruel to handcuff and pin down a person, but it's only in the car to keep that person safe when there are no other options.

Thank you! This helps a lot! I was in the middle of typing my last reply and did not realize you posted and answer my questions already. Thank you! :)

swtgi1982

No, they have not tried the velcro. That's a good idea but not sure the texture will bother the child. The other suggestion that I read is to use a shirt that buttons or zips thus closing the shirt over the harness/chest clip so access is limited. Thoughts about using a shirt that zips or buttons to prevent access to the chest clip?

Actually a lot of people do that with the winter fleece they put on their kids to make sure they are not under the harness to interfere with harness tightness. So this would be a plausible idea until they figure out how to unzip the outer layer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How old is the child? If old enough, and if a shirt over the harness doesn't work, I'd be looking at an EZ-On back-fastening vest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC