window shades

2nd

Okay so yesterday when I went to car seat install, the installer told me the rolling shades on a bar (poll) are not safe and to get rid of them. Honestly I never thought of it being turned into a sword in a car accident. I took them off immediately.

So he said I could use cling type. I found ones at Target-Eddie Bauer, that is just a cling, I haven't tried it yet, but I was wondering are the ones with just suction cups okay or are those bad too?
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3749224

Are there any good tricks for just the cling? I tried with my first son 5 yrs ago and it wouldn't stick. Maybe new ones are made better.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know about swords, but if you wouldn't throw it at your baby's face then don't put it in the car. The suction cups likely won't hold in a collision. Would you be ok with the screen with the suction cup being thrown at your baby's head? If so, then it's fine. If not, then go with the static shades.

Wendy

2nd

are the static shades-the cling ones?

Are they really that safe? I was thinking they could be used to suffocate. My question is-if you don't use something on the window how do your kids handle the bright sun?

Would it be better just to use a receiving blanket?

swtgi1982

The one i use is the rear window shade (it is larger and works for sides of vans too) it is all fabric, other then the suction cups. I had one in the rear window of my focus when the car rolled. It actually stayed put, even though the window shattered. Enough of the edges stayed in that it stayed up. it actually held some of the glass back from falling into my DD RF convertible.

FLmom

I live in Florida and well shades are a must for me. I use the suction cup ones. The suction cups are really tiny and soft so I don't see them doing much harm in an accident. The shade itself is light and flexible too. I personally didn't feel comfortable using the cling on ones because I have tinted windows and am afraid that when I go to peel off the cling it will accidently pull off some of my tint...probably wouldn't happen since the tint is professionally installed and doesn't look to be bubbling or peeling, but still I'd rather not chance it.

JerseyGirl'sMama

are the static shades-the cling ones?

Are they really that safe? I was thinking they could be used to suffocate. My question is-if you don't use something on the window how do your kids handle the bright sun?

Would it be better just to use a receiving blanket?

Yes, the static Wendy referred to is the same as the cling on type. They are safe in that they don't have any hard plastic on them that could cause damage in an accident. The cling on type could suffocate a child, if he or she were to play around with it, without supervision. I don't see it flying off the window and clinging to your childs face in the event of an accident, so as long as your child doesn't play around unsupervised in your car, this is the safest option. Hanging a recieving blanket from the side handles would be safe too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC