Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hotel Shuttles in FL

We are going to FL next Oct. DD will be 5 and a few months. There will be 9 of us going (so not looking forward to this) DH states that instead of renting cars we will use the hotel shuttles as much as possible. What do I do with dd? I have never seen hotel or airport shuttles at all. Can seats be installed? DD has a Gn and DH says her seat must be used on the plane. If were were going to rent a car no big deal bring it if he wants to carry that heavy thing (I decided to get a RSTV use it at the destination) but using Shuttles I have no idea. Will the RSTV work on them? DH also said something they have built in car seats and boosters? Heck no I would so rather use my own. So what options do I have with shuttles?
    Halie 6/5/2005 between 1 month and 3 months old
    Hannah 9/14/2012 3 weeks old

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Hotel Shuttles in FL

it's probably a bus, without seatbelts. Are you staying at a disney resort? If you are, I can tell you it definitely is a bus otherwise you'll have to call and confirm. If I brought something I'd bring a RSTV.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Yep, call the hotels. Disney has a variety of options, but mostly busses. If you are staying off Disney (assuming Orlando here) some hotels have 15 passenger vans or smaller van-front busses and most of the smaller busses don't have seat belts at all. They;re not required by law, but that doesn't mean they are safe. I'm okay with the older set (over 4 and 40#s) in the smaller busses, but not a baby. (Our church has one, but since DH ordered it for them he had some seatbelts put in for car seats. Gotta love the DH!)

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

I have not a clue where we are staying etc but we are not going to Disney park. All I know at this time is that the type of work my dh does there are classes and conferences on it. He said that the shuttles would take us where ever we wanted to go when ever we wanted to go but my understanding is that are on a schedule so heck if I know.
    Halie 6/5/2005 between 1 month and 3 months old
    Hannah 9/14/2012 3 weeks old

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

A hotel shuttle will likely be a 15-passenger van, and it will likely have seatbelts. I don't know the specific law in Florida, but my guess is that they are not exempt from car seat laws, and even if they are, you should still use one.

I forget the exact details with the RSTV in terms of tethers. My guess is that the vans won't have anchors, so if you need a tether, that would be out.

I don't understand why your DH says your DD has to use the Nautilus on the plane? But you're not using it at your destination? I'd either take the Nautilus to use on the plane AND at the destination (it can be used without a tether), or just take the RSTV and let your DD sit in the seatbelt on the plane. I'm perfectly fine with a 5-year-old not using a car seat on a plane.

Keep in mind that hotel shuttles are often very unreliable and limited in where/how often they run. Just something to think about.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The RSTV only needs a tether if using a lap-only belt. So as long as a 3-point belt is available it would be fine in that regard.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

Shuttles may be vans OR they may be some version of a bus. Most airport shuttles (the ones that take you to/from the parking lot or rental car place) have seats that face to the center of the van/bus (can't use a CR), not to mention that they do not have seatbelts. Some may have seatbelts on the rear seats but I've only seen them as part of the restraint system for wheelchairs (as a car seat freak, naturally, I'm looking ).

This may be obvious, but why not just contact the place where you will be staying? They should be able to tell/send the current shuttle schedule and what type of vehicle is used.