Help! Shannon Regent cover issue.

HEVY

Rachel spilled some sprite in it a few weeks ago, normally she's not allowed to hold a drink, especially in a fast food cup, not sure why I let her. Anyway, I was worried about washing it, then forgot about it. Today she was supposed to have swim class so she was in a bathing suit, I told her to go potty and she did, trying to put the bathing suit to the side and peed on herself. I didn't know until we left the Y, class starts next week, and she was all wet. So the car seat has pee on it. I have the Bouquet cover and the TB I have yet to use, so a seat is not an issue.

I'm scared to wash the cover. I am a "throw it in the washer" type person, I really doubt I will be able to wash and completely rinse in my kitchen sink, not to mention wringing it. My washer sucks.

What do I do?

ADS

lovinwaves

Does your washer have a delicate cycle? If so, just put it in there with cold water, and a little bit of detergent. I always spray with Spray 'n Shout prior to washing as well.

I have tried washing my covers in my bathtub, and it was a big disaster. I couldn't get them rinsed enough, and I couldn't wring them out enough :(

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Do it in the bathtub, but only use a tiny amount of detergent to spot clean the area. It should rinse clean that way and not be overwhelmed with soapy water.

It'll have to drip dry at least overnight before you risk puddles everywhere though.

HEVY

The cover is dingy, so the whole thing has to wash. I don't kave a bathtub :( that's why I would have to use the sink, small sink, no counter top. I guess I will try the sink but if all fails....

HEVY

Just took it apart and the harness is all dirty, I mean it's almost 2 years. I don't want to search :eek: I can wash it by wiping it, can I use soap or just water? I can't believe how dirty the whole seat is.

a_js

I'm the daring type and have thrown every cover I own in the wash (though haven't ever had a Regent--I've washed a Marathon cover though) and they've been fine.

mimieliza

Why are you worried about washing it in the washer?

I washed my Shannnon Blvd cover in the washer on the delicate cycle. It looked soooo much nicer afterward. I took off the straps and wiped them down with a microfiber towel dampened with water and they look much better now, too.

I didn't wring the cover. I did a low spin on the washer cycle. It was still quite wet, especially because the Blvd has so much padding sewn into the headrest cover. I hung it to dry in our laundry room and it took three days to dry completely.

vangelder03

what i do is fill the washing machine up with water and add just a little bit of detergent leave the lid open put in cover and just use my hands to swish it around and get the stains out take the cover out flip the washer til it goes to rinse then fill the water up again and work on getting the soap out pull cover out and try to get out as much water then hang to dry and let the washer go to rinse then i am done
and yes i do understand the whole process is crazy but that's how i roll

Last edited:

TXAggieTech

I wash my covers on delicate/hand wash or gentle cycle with about 1/4 the normal soap and then vinegar if they have something yucky on them. Then lay out to dry. I've never had a problem.

My mom was even being really helpful one time and washed a Handsful on normal with other clothes and dried it in the dryer on normal heat. It came out fine. I'd never do that on purpose but the world didn't fall apart!

abbi_n_nadia

I wash them in the bathtub also with just a little bit of detergent, swish them around, rub dirty spots with my hand....then drain the bathtub and refill (I only do a couple of inches of water), swish some more to get it rinsed, drain and if needed fill tub again to finish rinsing. Then I squish some of the water out and carry it to the washer, start it on a low spin cycle for just 1 or 2 minutes and stop it and then hang to dry. It takes about 24 hours to dry (I've done this with both the Blvd cover and a Regent cover). I've never had to clean harness straps....

Bummer that you don't have a bathtub! Good luck! I hope it comes clean for ya!

lovinwaves

Do you have a friend or family member with a front loader that you could wash your cover in? A few of my friends bring their Ju-Ju-Be bags over to wash in mine :whistle:

oxeye

Umm, it has been washed in a washing machine before on delicate. I tried hand washing a cover once and it did not get clean at all.

I've been washing my covers in my washer for years and never once had a problem so I didn't hesitate to wash that one the same way.

lynsgirl

Just last week, I washed my Blue Bouquet Regent cover in the washer on delicate. And the next day, ds2's Husky cover (that wasn't in the plan, but, uh, stuff happens). I have also put my Britax covers in the dryer on the Air Fluff cycle with an old, dry towel. They dry much, much faster tumbling in the dryer than by drip drying over the shower rod :whistle:. No, I do not use a heat cycle ;).

For harness cleaning, it depends what has to come off. I wiped off the Regent straps with a baby wipe, including the disgusting crumb collections around the bottom of the hip straps. For the unplanned Husky washing, I actually had warm water with a drop of dish soap in it and I used a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFL63/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001AMV8SK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AVJGPPVQ858YJ38905Z"]corn silk brush[/ame] dipped in the water and then shaken off to scrub, um, stuff (i.e. vomit) off of the straps. I didn't soak the straps or submerse them, but I did run the buckle (not the webbing) under water to clean out the yuck (this is ok). When I've had to do this with straps, I lay them flat on a towel to dry completely.

I think your cover will be ok and I think *you* will be amazed at how nice it looks once it's clean (I know I always am lol) :thumbsup:.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wash all my covers on gentle. Just finished my radian 80 cover, and a denim ma cover. Next will be a Jane Indy Plus!

HEVY

I washed it in the washer on gentle. came out OK except for some of the fuzzy stuff on the back from the velcro. I used a presoaped baby wash washcloth on the harness. Well I guess Rachel gets to ride in her TB for the first time tomorrow :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC