fingers crossed, emailing DD's teachers about booster use

DD2's teacher emailed to ask if i could drive to their first field trip in December so I decided to get out my :soapbox: (in a polite way, I hope)
This is what I wrote - will let you know what response I get

Hi Ms. R:
Yes, I can drive if needed to the Nutcracker trip.

FYI there was one thing about the first grade field trips last year that I found a bit distressing - some of the students (mostly boys) who didn't use booster seats in their cars were making teasing or negative comments to the kids who were still using boosters.

If possible, I'd appreciate if the students (and maybe parents) could be reminded before the field trip that being respectful to their classmates includes refraining from teasing those classmates who are still using boosters. These classmates are using boosters because their parents feel that it's an appropriate safety measure, not because they're in any way more 'babyish' than their booster-less counterparts.

And if it's not out of line, I'd really appreciate if a reference on appropriate booster usage such as the following could be either emailed to the parents or distributed in the Friday folders - I think that a lot of parents aren't aware of the safety risks of poorly-fitting seat belts on kids who meet the legal minimum for riding without a booster but who aren't yet tall enough for the lap and shoulder belts to fit them properly without a booster
http://carseatblog.com/?p=3966

And FYI, I bring extra boosters when I'm a field trip driver, and if one of my passengers doesn't fit the seat belt properly without a booster, I *will* ask that passenger to use the booster even if they don't use a booster in their own car.

OK, I'm off my soapbox for now :)
Elaine

ADS

zactayaus

Great letter.:thumbsup: I can't wait to hear what her reply is and I hope she distributes the 5 step info.

susanx4

great Email, this past weekend i drove for my daughter's brownie troop, since they all are 7 and 8 they have to be in boosters here in MD, a lot came with out boosters, luckily i brought 2 of my extras lol, some of the parents where like oh she only has 2 more months she doesn't need one.. i was like, in my car we follow the law... i should of been well age really doesn't matter the seat belt doesn't fit your 7 yr old! i just kept it about law for now though

woohoo!!!! DD2's teacher is totally on board with this! She emailed me to say that she had a talk with the class about no teasing classmates in boosters:thumbsup:, and she will send a "reminder" email to the parents in DD's class including the link to the 5-step test:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK I'm feeling bold now, I just emailed the entire Brownie troop:D:
Hey amazing Brownie moms:

with field trips and carpools coming up, I thought it might be helpful to share a few useful car safety references I've found recently.

This one about the "5 Step Test" gives a good overview of how to tell if your child can be safely and comfortably restrained by the vehicle seat belt without a booster (even though all our girls meet the legal minimum of 6 years or 60 lbs., most car seat belts are designed to fit an average 100+ lb. adult and without a booster, the lap portion of the belt often sits too high up and can damage internal organs in an accident)
If you prefer a video, this one from Phoenix Children's Hospital gives a nice overview
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz75-h6wvZU&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz75-h6wvZU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
And if you use a Graco Turbo Booster, click here for a helpful reminder of what to do with the little screws that came in the box.

Have a happy and safe Halloween, everyone!
Elaine"

fingers crossed, hoping they're as receptive as DD2's teacher

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC