FF or RF 3yo

marcymc

I am looking for advice on FF vs. RF. I think most people will say RF, but I'm unsure of my decision, so looking for some opinions.

I have 2 daughters dd1 is 5 and dd2 turned 3 in August. I changed dd2 to FF in DH's car in July when she was 30 pounds. We have an old Triumph in that car and she only rides in it about once every other month. I changed her FF in my car in September for a few reasons. I know none of the reasons were really good ones :eek: Her DVD player broke and she could watch her sister's FF. I was sick of hearing "I didn't see it!!" followed by a melt-down. (I know RF kids can see most things just fine, but she seemed to miss the cats, dogs, trains, etc dd1 was seeing) I had thought the benefits of RF were most significant until 3yo, but lately I've read 4yo. DD2 hasn't really gained weight since her b-day- she's 30.5 pounds.

So tonight while moving seats around, I turned her RF again. She cried and complained a little, but she was OK with it after a few minutes. My mom and DH both made comments about it. She's in the True Fit now, but I'm thinking about putting her into the MA so I could tether RF. DD1 wouldn't like that, because the MA is our only "girly" seat and its been hers :rolleyes:

So I have 2 questions- Would you RF her again?
And if so, what seat- MA, TF, or EFTA?

Thanks for reading my rambling post. :)

ADS

NannyMom

I would turn her back RF. I would use the True Fit for every day use because it has more leg room. But if the RF tether is important to you, use the Marathon.

disbugsmomma

I turned my dd ff at the same age and weight as yours. I was ok with her facing whichever direction at that point. If she wanted to rf again, I would turn her seat back around, but at least 3 and 30 was my personal goal. If your dd has no problem rf though, I'd probably leave her that way. It's really a personal decision, so I'm probably not much help. :rolleyes: I would probably keep her in the TF either way though.

Spam

:yeahthat: If it becomes a battle with her every car ride, I'd let her have somewhat of say in the decision. I'm not much help either, my goal is 2 :eek:

firemomof3

I was in the same boat. A few months ago my dd2 started to battle with me about turning ff because no one in her preschool was rf. Well, she was 3.5y/o at the time so I gave in (for sanity sake :rolleyes:) and turned her. She was thrilled for about a week...then we went on a 2hr. trip and she complained that her legs hurt and that she wanted to go back rf :eek: So, now she is back in love with her XT and happily rf :love:
So, if she is comfy rf and happy then I would go with it as long as you can :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My age to let them have input, assuming they still fit, is 4, not 3. So I'd turn her RF.

I might choose the MA if it let her sit up higher and see more-- but the TF gives better leg room...

emandbri

Did you get a new DVD player? If so I would keep her rear-facing. I would use the true fit as well for the extra leg room.

Maedze

My age to let them have input, assuming they still fit, is 4, not 3. So I'd turn her RF.

I might choose the MA if it let her sit up higher and see more-- but the TF gives better leg room...

I agree. I would turn her back rear facing, and let her opinion become part of the equation after the fourth birthday.

romanoma

If she is happy RF, then keep her RF. No question. your mother and DH opinions aside, that is what I would do.

If it is a daily, daily battle with her RF, I might turn her. Not just the occasional comment, but cries getting in and cries the whole time in the car, every time, I might turn her at her age. My DS is 3.5 and 35lbs, so he is heavier than your DD (which to me does make a difference too), but if I had to battle him everyday in the car I think I would loose it. There are enough other things I battle him on daily, I don't need one more. And I'm not sure the diff. b/w 3.5 and 4 is all that great. Until 4 months ago, he would have had to be FF anyway at his weight...

Just my opinion, as already stated, many here have the goal age of 4.

swtgi1982

My 3.5yr old loves RF and begged to be RF after we first turned her! So now she is still RF. (Did help she got a "cool" new seat, as she put it). She is FF in DH vehicle and screams all the time of her legs hurting after only 30min drive, so she much happier in my car.

She especially loves it now since she in third row and can see all out rear window, with baby coming soon and all, she had to be moved back there. Both brothers will be in the middle row!

armywife12

For a child over 3 yrs old and 30lbs, I am fine with forward facing but I would continue to rear face the child if they are ok with it. Caleb is 25 months old and just about 35lbs so he went forward in my van since he can't rear face in the True Fit anymore. I am not thrilled with him forward but I'm ok with it. Once hubby deploys next month, he'll be backwards again in his MyRide until he outgrows that seat rear facing. If your child is fine with rear facing, I'd keep it that way and I'd prefer the True Fit since it has more leg room than the others

marcymc

Thanks for all of the replies. Yesterday she was fine with a few trips in the car RF with no complaints. So, I plan to keep her RF for a while longer.

We haven't bought another DVD, but we rarely use them anyway. I might try to get a girly cover for her True Fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC