Outboard with LATCH vs center with belt?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Our new Subaru Outback is LATCH equipped (to 60lbs) but only has lower anchors for the outboard seats. It does have a tether for all three positions, however. So I have the option of installing him outboard with the lower anchors and the tether, or center with the seatbelt and top tether. If there's another child, then this will change! But for now, with only one, I do have that option. Which one do you CPS techs/advocates see as the safest?

Thanks -
Maria

PS - Another issue: Since the weight limit for the LATCH system is not mentioned in the manual, I had to call Subaru and ask them. They said 60lbs and that it's designed to be used in combination with the seatbelts... I questioned this, and the phone tech said, "Well, just follow the instructions for the car seat manufacturer. I'm just passing on the info that I was told - 60lbs in conjunction with the seat belts." Perhaps that's for the top tether?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I believe that's for the top tether, it's unsafe to use the seatbelt and lower anchors.

If you can get a good installation with the seatbelt in the middle, that's what I'd do. If you can't then use LATCH. If you can't get a good LATCH installation, then use the seatbelt. Neither is safer than the other. Whichever you can get a better installation with is safest. And if you can get good installations with both then it's your choice.

Wendy

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks, Wendy... There is a defined 'hump' in the cushions in middle of the back seat, so I'm not sure if a seat will securely fit there. We have ordered a Regent and will see when it arrives if it fits well there -

Maria

scbusf

We have the "hump" in the center as well. We couldn't get a secure installation there. So we went with outboard. Plus, personally I find it easier to use LATCH, so that's antoher reason we went with outboard.

Sherry

Kellyr2

If I could get a secure installation in the center, I'd do that. If not, I'd do outboard. Latch vs Seatbelt are equally safe, assuming equal ease of installation.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm going to throw in another variable--a lap/shoulder belt. A LATCH belt and a lap-only belt are about the same when you consider them a 2-point belt: LATCH is essentially a lap-only seat belt. So, if the center seating position has a lap/shoulder belt, and I'm sure it does if it's a new car, then I'd start trying the install there. The shoulder portion of the seat belt is going to provide a measure of support for the top of the seat, kind of like what a tether does. So, if it's a lap/shoulder with tether install vs. a lap-only with tether install, I'd start with the lap/shoulder with tether install. Does that make sense?

And like Wendy said, it depends on the kind of install you get. If you can achieve a great install with LATCH, go for it. I've got my dd's Marathon installed with LATCH because I know there's no way I could get the seat belt installed that tightly. However, when I switch her to the Husky soon, I'm going to use the seat belt because I want the extra support of the shoulder belt at the top of that very heavy car seat.

Whew, guess I'm in a talkative mood :).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC