Safety 1st infant seat?

Redneck-Mama

When I got my minivan I sold my old car to my sister. It’s 4-door Plymouth Neon. So now she’s pregnant and we’re trying to decide what infant seat to get her.
We are all on a really tight budget

She likes this Safety 1st travel system. Is it any good? Is it easy to use? I don't even know the name of this seat:eek:.

I want to get her a Snugride35 but if this is a good seat I’ll get what she wants.
She will probably keep this seat until it expires. So being easy to use is a must!

Thanks for any help!

ADS

Maedze

I'd steer clear of the Safety First seat. It'll be outgrown early, it's not install-friendly for a lot of vehicles, and it has a somewhat nightmarish harness routing system that can make disassembling the seat for cleaning very confusing.

The Snugride32/35 would be a MUCH better choice, as would the Chicco Keyfit30

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd stay away from that travel system. Reasons:

-The infant seat is a Designer 22 rear-adjust. The front-adjust is not bad except for the whole adjusting-the-harness-height thing, but the rear-adjust is a MAJOR PAIN to get tight enough. Also outgrown quicker than the SnugRide 22. (The routing on the rear-adjust is not as bad as the front-adjust, FTR.)
-The stroller. That particular stroller tends to fall apart very, very fast.

Of the Dorel seats, I'd choose the OnBoard 35 in a heartbeat. (It is actually a slightly more reasonably priced alternative to the SR35-- it has a 35 lb. weight limit, taller shell than the SR35 by about an inch, has a lockoff, installation is not horrible, and handle can be used in any locked position-- unlike the SR35 which has a position that you can't use in the car, but many parents do.)

I'm also a fan of not buying travel systems. Buy an infant seat and a decent stroller, separately. If you want to use the carrier and it doesn't work with that stroller, I'd pick up a frame (like a Snap n Go) on Craigslist for really cheap (I see them all the time.)

Redneck-Mama

Thanks! I knew it was bad idea!.
I didn't know that about the harness system. I'll tell her about that.

She's going on whats cute but the SR35 has some cute covers and I think she would love the Mia SafeSeat.

I'll show her the onboard35. I like it but I don't know if she will.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hahaha! I know how you feel. I bought a Radian XT for my cousin's kid and I didn't need it but I waaaaanted...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC