Tether Anchor Pictorial Guide

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, that's a part that's specifically for the '97 Chevy Suburban. Mixing and matching parts intended for another model from another manufacturer isn't advisable, especially when your van's manufacturer has the exact parts you need available. :) This thread and your other thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=86256 now have helpful replies from Crunchierthanthou with the the correct Chrysler parts info. and Chrysler service bulletin for retrofitting your '99 Caravan at a Chrysler dealership service department.

Last edited:
ADS

crunchierthanthou

Your other thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=86256 has a reply linking you to the correct Chrysler parts info. and Chrysler service bulletin for retrofitting your '99 Caravan at a Chrysler dealership service department.

Unitco's reply in that thread actually links back to her Caravan post in this one that shows where those dealer installed TAs should be. :)

Chrysler will retrofit them for free under Technical Service Bulletin 23-029-08.

The tether points are on the floor behind the seats as shown above. The part numbers are:

04864118AB - second row and
05018506AA - third row

It can tricky to find a dealer familiar with the program, but Chrysler recently confirmed that it is still in effect. The dealer can find more information in the Warranty Information Center (WIC), article #1339. It might be a little bit of a hassle, but definitely worth it in terms of safety. Unlike the part for the Suburban, this won't take away a seating position.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Whoops, I fixed the link and referenced your posts with the actual parts and info. for the '99 Caravan, thanks, Crunchier. :)

dogmelissa

This is an *AWESOME* thread. Any chance it can be pinned?? Also, maybe I'm just being 'greedy' but could the 1st post list the vehicles that are shown in the thread, so that it'd be easy to see at a quick glance whether a certain vehicle is listed?

I'll be going in the next few months to get DH's 1994 Pontiac Grand Am Retrofitted with one of these, so I won't bother posting where it goes - I'm fairly sure anyone who has to get one retrofitted will know where it is. But if anyone wants it, I can add it!

Thanks,
Melissa

Melizerd

You can search this thread by going to the upper right hand corner of the thread and using the Search this Thread option to search the thread for a specific vehicle.

zeo2ski

1998 Chevy Suburban retrofit--waaayyy more useful than unityco's '97 part!

This is all for the third row seating: both outboard seats use the rear-most cargo anchors (these are drilled through the frame). And the center seat uses a strap (the retrofit) that attaches to both outboard cargo anchors and then has a ring in the middle to hook the tether. It's not clear whether or not the center AND outboard anchors can be used at the same time. So I would assume no. This picture shows both--the My Ride using the passenger outboard hook, and the retrofit strap installed. The blue strap coming off the (black) retrofit strap is not a tether, just a cargo tie down strap used to illustrate how the retrofit works. Didn't feel like flipping the RF RN that's in that seat just for this picture!
tethers.jpg

danivdp

zeo, is there any reason you could not attach that part to the cargo hooks that are closer to your 3rd seat? That seems like it would be more convient......

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
zeo, is there any reason you could not attach that part to the cargo hooks that are closer to your 3rd seat? That seems like it would be more convient......

From what I understand, the cargo hooks that are closer to the seat are not reinforced. Only the ones all the way in the back are approved for use this way.

bethng

Any pics of using the 3rd row unused seatbelt to tether a seat in the second row? I am not sure if you buckle the belt first or if you just lock the retractor and tether it to the male end of the seatbelt and pull up the slack.:confused:

Pixels

How you tether to an unused belt depends on if it's a lap only belt or lap-shoulder, and what kind of retractor it is (ELR or ALR), or if the belt locks at the latchplate. Here's a thread that explains some of the options and has a picture of what not to do. ;)

It sounds like you want to tether to a lap-shoulder belt that locks at the retractor? You can clip into the male end of the buckle and lock the belt at the retractor. If it's a switchable retractor (you pull the belt out all the way and let it go back in to make it lock), make sure that it stays locked and isn't close to unlocking. You'll need to play with the belt some to get an idea of where it unlocks. Or, you can buckle the seatbelt and clip onto the webbing. The shape and size of some male seatbelts isn't compatible with clipping on, so you would have to clip onto the webbing in that case.

zeo2ski

From what I understand, the cargo hooks that are closer to the seat are not reinforced. Only the ones all the way in the back are approved for use this way.

Exactly. Although it sure WOULD be more convenient! And when I got it "installed" at the dealer the service guy actually hooked it on the front set, then came back in and read the paper and said woops. I told him I could switch it myself and MAN those things are hard to get off! In fact that's the only reason it's still in the car...it's stuck.

mburks26

2000 to 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4 full doors

Tether behind the seat at the bottom. Tether to the same seat the car seat is on. You must fold down the seat to access, the passenger side folds indepently from the driver and middle those fold down at the same time. I have to tighten the tether before installing with Latch or Belt as once the seat is back you can not tighten the tether strap. You can not fold the seat when the car seat is installed with Belt or Latch. There are 1 for each seat. I just did not want to undo the GN in the middle.

T

topsy

This is a brilliant thread - much appreciated. I had tether anchors installed in the backseat of my 1997 F150 yesterday...unfortunately, nobody at Ford knows how they're to be used. The anchor is buried behind the seat with a nylon webbing loop hanging over the top of the seat.

The problem is, when I connect the tether from the carseat to the loop (or even to the anchor when I managed to crammed my hand behind the seat), there is still a bunch of slack in the seats tether strap...which doesn't seem too safe to me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on the installation process? I am trying to install a Graco Nautilus I picked up the other day (for my 3 year old), plus a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 I've had for a while (though it's still rear facing for my one year old).

Hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Brett.

Last edited:

family5oregon

1998 Chevy Suburban retrofit--waaayyy more useful than unityco's '97 part!

This is all for the third row seating: both outboard seats use the rear-most cargo anchors (these are drilled through the frame). And the center seat uses a strap (the retrofit) that attaches to both outboard cargo anchors and then has a ring in the middle to hook the tether. It's not clear whether or not the center AND outboard anchors can be used at the same time. So I would assume no. This picture shows both--the My Ride using the passenger outboard hook, and the retrofit strap installed. The blue strap coming off the (black) retrofit strap is not a tether, just a cargo tie down strap used to illustrate how the retrofit works. Didn't feel like flipping the RF RN that's in that seat just for this picture!
tethers.jpg

I was sent to this thread for tether info for my '97 GMC suburban. I was wondering what, if any, is the part number of the strap you used for the 3rd row center seat tether. I went to my local dealer and they say they only have a plate kit and it comes from a place back east and no pix of the parts. He said if you I could get a part number it would be helpful.

livsmum

2002 Pontiac Montana, extended. 3rd row, bench seat that can be stowed. Where are the TA? There are pictures that indicate that they should be there but I can't find them.

TerisBoys

2002 Pontiac Montana, extended. 3rd row, bench seat that can be stowed. Where are the TA? There are pictures that indicate that they should be there but I can't find them.

In my ex's slightly newer Montana, the anchors are just above where the seatback hinges to fold.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC