Tether Anchor Pictorial Guide

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Here is for a '00-'06 Chevy Tahoe.

There is a rear face tether on the front passenger inner leg. This can be used for a rear facing center or passenger outboard install. Here is a picture of the tether hook. Just keep in mind that this is on a moveable part so if the seat gets adjusted you will need to adjust the recline angle.
IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Here is what the top tether will look like on the 3rd row. It's on the back of the seat on the seat bottom part.
IMG_4980.jpg

Sorry I never took a picture of the 2nd row tether hooks in my caption chairs. Unfortunatly we have since traded the Tahoe in. :( They are on the floor behind the seat by the outer (close to the door) edge. There is a little cut out and it's in there.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of dh '02 Silverado crewcab. The top tethers are on the back truck wall behind the seat. There are 3 hooks for each position. Now hoop webbing like the extended cab versions.

ADS

clmchrissy

Thanks Jen_nah, our 2000 GMC Yukon has the same ones for RF & FF in the second row, I don't believe the 3rd row has tether anchors (I double check when DH comes home).

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Nothing fancy... This is specifically in a '92 Honda Accord EX-R 2-door sport coupe, but it's typical of any sedan with pre-drilled holes for tether anchors.

137_3755_edit.jpg

And with anchor installed

137_3751.jpg

christineka

1997 Ford Aerostar
tether.jpg

There are three tethers under the third row and they are for the second row. There is another under the second row for the passenger seat.

mommy_quigg

2001 Pontiac Aztek, Outboard (either side)
I have to flip the seat forward in order to attach the tether (I also had to do this in my parents' Pontiac Montana):
DSC07220Threadtetherthroughheadrest.jpg

Dsc07222.jpg

Dsc07223.jpg

Dsc07224.jpg

Then flip seat back up:
DSC07225Raiseseatback.jpg

Top tether, Centre, is in the middle of the trunk, slightly towards the driver's side. Not the greatest picture...
Dsc07210.jpg

I don't actually use it because it causes the tether to slip into the crack between the seatbacks like so:
Dsc07207.jpg

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
1997 Pontiac Transport (I assume this is true for it's clones as well - Chevy Venture/Olds Silhouette) - tethers for middle row outboard are the base of the third row seatbelts.

This tether method is the same for the outboard 3rd row seats of full size Chevy vans also.

Last edited by a moderator:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Post-manufacturer tether anchors for a '99 Dodge Caravan with all-bench seating.

Anchor for the second row bench, centre-ish position. The anchor is under the third row bench:
CA2C.jpg

Anchor for the second row bench, driver's side. The anchor is beside the third row bench:
CA2D.jpg

Anchors for the third row driver's and centre position (there is a place for, but we did not have installed, the passenger side.) These are in the cargo area:
CARear.jpg

crunchierthanthou

2003 GMC Envoy (not XL)

the TAs are the near cargo hooks behind the second row.

envoyTA.jpg

The lower anchors can also be hard to find. They are behind a flap near the seat bight.

the flap with LATCH markings-
envoyLATCHmarkings.jpg

lift the seat bottom
envoyliftseat.jpg

lift the flap
envoyloweranchors.jpg

the lower anchors are the upright silver parts.

crunchierthanthou

2008 Rav4

The outboard TAs are hard to find. they're on the lower seatback.

rav4-1.jpg

can you see it? flip the seat forward.

rav4-2.jpg

there's the symbol, but where's the anchor? lift the flap.

rav4-3.jpg

there it is! I'm pretty sure you have to flip the seats forward to access them. Also, be sure to route the tether under the headrests. The manual actually says to remove the headrests, route the tether and then replace it.

how about the center one?

rav4-center.jpg

ceiling mounted and waaay easier to find. :)

while we're on the subject, the center seatbelt is ridiculous.

rav4seatbelts.jpg

it wasn't too hard to install a seat there, but you can't use both the center and driver's side outboard at the same time for anything.

HEVY

I have a 2000 Windstar and my drivers seat has a tether anchor. It is exactly like all the other ones in the car, I currently have a stepstool tied to it. When you use a RF tether would you be able to use them?
I also want to comment on what a total PITA it is to unhook the tether, took forever and a few scrapes.

keri1292

I have a 2000 Windstar and my drivers seat has a tether anchor. It is exactly like all the other ones in the car, I currently have a stepstool tied to it. When you use a RF tether would you be able to use them?
I also want to comment on what a total PITA it is to unhook the tether, took forever and a few scrapes.

Yep, you can use that anchor for a RFing seat. Nice, huh? :)

You'll get the hang of unhooking the tethers. Stand outside the vehichle, make the tether as loose as possible and then you'll have lots of slack to flip it under and unclip it. :thumbsup:

ravekiss

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition...Top tether anchors are located in the ceiling over the cargo area. Outboard positions only.

IMG_1324-1.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Pixels

I have the bench seat, I use the TA for the passenger side is that ok? Can I get anymore installed?

It should be used only for its designated position, the center seat. Generally you cannot get any more anchors installed in a vehicle that came with them, but you can try contacting a dealership. There are a very few vehicles that can have more added.

jujumum

We just had our tether retrofit kits installed in our 2000 MPV (YEAH!!) and hope this can be of help. If it is not appropriate for this thread, or too long, let me know and I'll just leave the first pic.:D

Mazda MPV 2003, 3 tether locations - 1 center for back row in trunk, and 2 at bases of 2nd two captain's chairs (shown in blurry pic). Captain's chairs also have latch:
Tether2003.jpg

Mazda MPV 2000, No installed tether anchors, but 2 pre-cut areas with pre-drilled hole in floor spots available behind the 2nd row captain's chairs. I needed to call several dealers to find the parts, even though I had the part number from a helpful tech here (LCY2-57-77X). One said it wasn't available, and one could only find it after I specified that I needed grey (they come in grey and tan to match the interior). Two kits are needed, and were around $15 per kit.

Pre-cut area with carpet and padding peeled back:
Tethercarpet.jpg

Retrofit kit from Mazda (one of two):
Pictures225.jpg

Plastic housing and anchor are integrated - side pic:
Pictures226.jpg

Installed kit:
Tetherinstalled.jpg

Tetheropen.jpg

Last edited:

dmedraft

'97 Suburban Tethers for Second Row

Tether adapter part - it buckles into an unused third row position:

CSO%20016.jpg

Tether done up:

CSO%20012.jpg

Unityco,
Do you know if this method can be used in a 99 Caravan?
Where would I get that adapter?
Thanks,
Dean

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC