SureRide wierdness-harness coming off splitter plate when installed

Mangosink

Well, as soon as my sureride comes in the mail, its going right back to the store. I'm not taking a chance that will happen while DD is in the seat.

ADS

kaharris83

Re: SureRide wierdness

This really bums me out. We just took the Sureride on its first trip as a travel seat and it was perfect. Lightweight, easy install, fit great on the plane...but I can't use it now because every time I did I'd be thinking the harness might fail. :(

KaiLing

Well, today they want me to make a video of it not happening while it's not installed. I'm happy to, but: ??

I want to caution people against making judgments too soon: this is a new seat, I found a problem and we're dealing with it. This is the process, and it's why we've got NHTSA oversight and communication with the company. It's why us car seat nerds are helpful! So... I'm in a holding pattern, not writing off the SureRide or Evenflo.

mom of six

I bet it is friction against the automobile seat back that is causing the problem. As one strap and the splitter plate are pulled up the other strap lags behind due to friction against the automobile seat back and may cause the loop at the end of the shoulder strap to *open* or not lay flat against itself. As the splitter plate twists from horizontal due to the asymmetric pull the non-pulled strap is now floppy and loose the strap can then move out of the splitter plate. I do not have a SureRide but I have only played with one in the store. From your video it looks like the loops in the straps are pretty big. With big loops there is a greater chance that the loop will open (not lay flat against the back of the seat) and allow the splitter plate to come free.

The friction theory would also explain why some have experienced it and others have not. It is all about how the SureRide interacts with the automobile seat. It would also explain why it does not seem to happen rear facing or when it is not installed.

Smaller harness loops would probably solve the problem and would also add to the overall harness length.:)

Brigala

CPST Instructor

Thank you for pointing that out.

I don't own a SureRide, but I have recommended them to a few friends who have them.

I'm not telling them to run out and replace them. If I owned one, I would still use it. Because it gives me a totally illogical case of the heebiejeebies to have uneven harness straps, even for a moment, I would never adjust my straps like that anyway. I doubt it could ever affect me at all. I would feel totally confident in using this seat. Obviously, it hasn't been failing the zillions of times Evenflo stuck the thing on a crash test sled.

I think the take-away messages here are two:

1) If you can duplicate the problem, report it.
and
2) If you have this seat, adjust the harness tightness by pulling both straps at the same time to avoid the issue.

KaiLing

Thank you for pointing that out.

I'm not telling them to run out and replace them. If I owned one, I would still use it. Because it gives me a totally illogical case of the heebiejeebies to have uneven harness straps, even for a moment, I would never adjust my straps like that anyway. I doubt it could ever affect me at all. I would feel totally confident in using this seat. Obviously, it hasn't been failing the zillions of times Evenflo stuck the thing on a crash test sled.

I'm totally on board with this. But, the thing is that I wasn't doing anything when I found this out. I wasn't even doing what I'm doing in the video--it was much less intense. I was just pushing the button to figure out where the button was because it's hard to figure that out with a kid in the seat. I've done this with all my other new seats, just to figure out the button.I've done this in the store to figure out the button. But this one came off: it was a moderately disturbing experience. You can hear my surprise in the video: I totally didn't expect it to happen again.

The center of the Corolla does go out more than the sides. It's sort of convex where the sides are concave (there's nothing else there, though, no arm rest or anything). If I had more time I might try an installation on the side. My hunch is it'd be fine on the sides. But since I can't see it... I ain't going to put a kid in the particular seat I've got in my living room. I'm still hoping I've got a warped splitter plate or something. I really want this seat! And I do not trust the general public to pull evenly. Just don't.

Brigala

CPST Instructor

I agree, I don't trust the general public not to pull one strap at a time. But since we're not seeing widespread issues with it (yet) even though this is fast becoming a very popular car seat, I tend to think it's either an issue with your car or an issue with your car seat.

From what you're describing about the shape of your vehicle seat possibly contributing to the problem, I can totally see it happening in my Civic in the center position also. It also has that convex hump both below and behind the center seating position.

Karatesoftball

I own this seat and a headwise70, i do pull one strap loose first, but only about an inch so i can pull it by the chestplate :) i dont think i have seen anyone, even my carseat illeterate friends pull a single strap all the way out

KaiLing

I own this seat and a headwise70, i do pull one strap loose first, but only about an inch so i can pull it by the chestplate :) i dont think i have seen anyone, even my carseat illeterate friends pull a single strap all the way out

I never even noticed what I do before. But I pull on one strap, all the way out, then the other one, every single time with the baby. He's huge, I need the space to get him out, his brother likes to unclip his chest clip before I get there and I don't have an extra hand. I don't do it with the big kid, though, just because he can get his own arms in the straps.

Still, I think we need to assume parents are doing all sorts of stuff with all sorts of kids while they're carrying their bags and strollers and dogs and whatnot.

MotoMommaNH

I was thinking of purchasing this week since the Target sale is so good...I'd only be using it for RF'ing. Do you think that'd be OK to use it?

SavsMom

MotoMommaNH said:
I was thinking of purchasing this week since the Target sale is so good...I'd only be using it for RF'ing. Do you think that'd be OK to use it?

Honestly, I have been using mine forward facing full time since February and haven't had an issue at all. I would just be sure to pull on both straps when loosening the harness and when tightening I would give a good pull on the harness to ensure it is tight.
I am not a tech but to me it seems like this is more of an issue when someone pulls out each harness strap individually.

MotoMommaNH

Honestly, I have been using mine forward facing full time since February and haven't had an issue at all. I would just be sure to pull on both straps when loosening the harness and when tightening I would give a good pull on the harness to ensure it is tight.
I am not a tech but to me it seems like this is more of an issue when someone pulls out each harness strap individually.

Good to know...I, like Brigala, can not stand uneven harness straps and DH is the same way. We both always pull out the straps at the same time so I'm thinking we would be fine.

A little off topic...but If I purchased and wanted to return, Target is good with that, right? I can't see why they'd refuse a return but I don't know if the policy is different with car seats. I've only ever bought via Amazon.com/Diapers.com before! :eek:

whiteyacht

Good to know...I, like Brigala, can not stand uneven harness straps and DH is the same way. We both always pull out the straps at the same time so I'm thinking we would be fine.

A little off topic...but If I purchased and wanted to return, Target is good with that, right? I can't see why they'd refuse a return but I don't know if the policy is different with car seats. I've only ever bought via Amazon.com/Diapers.com before! :eek:

When I returned a seat to them, I just packaged and taped it all back up. They took it back, no questions asked.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Brigala

CPST Instructor

I had a Grandma come through a seat check once with a Maestro she'd been using for a couple of weeks for her Grandson, which she'd bought at Target. It turned out to be totally the wrong seat for the child (he was too young and too short to use it in booster mode, but too chubby/heavy to use it in harness mode). She was able to take it back to Target, exchange it for a Nautilus, and return to the seat check that same afternoon. So at least in my experience they're really good about exchanges. That Maestro already had french fries in it and they still took it back. :p

Jessica61624

I'm totally on board with this. But, the thing is that I wasn't doing anything when I found this out. I wasn't even doing what I'm doing in the video--it was much less intense. I was just pushing the button to figure out where the button was because it's hard to figure that out with a kid in the seat. I've done this with all my other new seats, just to figure out the button.I've done this in the store to figure out the button. But this one came off: it was a moderately disturbing experience. You can hear my surprise in the video: I totally didn't expect it to happen again.

The center of the Corolla does go out more than the sides. It's sort of convex where the sides are concave (there's nothing else there, though, no arm rest or anything). If I had more time I might try an installation on the side. My hunch is it'd be fine on the sides. But since I can't see it... I ain't going to put a kid in the particular seat I've got in my living room. I'm still hoping I've got a warped splitter plate or something. I really want this seat! And I do not trust the general public to pull evenly. Just don't.

Can you post pictures of the splitter plate?

KaiLing

I can't get a hand to do a video, but I can get some photos of the back of the seat and the back seat of the corolla (though I think they're too small?)

splitplatesmall.jpg

Back of my SureRide. Looks innocent (and hey, thanks Evenflo, I need that locking clip!). Harness was on the second to top slot.

backseatsmall.JPG

Back seat of the Corolla, where it was installed center, seat belt, with tether.

KaiLing

mfraiser, thanks so much. ANd holy crap, that's what happened to me the first time, only twice. Scary stuff.

What car is this, what position, and seat belt or LATCH?

Did you get to call NHTSA and Evenflo?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC