Question Yukon XL - 2 RF, 1 booster, plus 3 - logistics?

U

Unregistered

We've always bought Sunshine/Dionos because of their small footprint in putting someone else beside them. Now expecting our fourth, we're outgrowing our current vehicle and purchasing a 3-row, which presents a new set of car seat logistics.

We plan to purchase a 2016 or 2017 Yukon XL with captains chairs in the first and second rows and then the standard bench in the third row.

Mom and Dad are tall and likely to have the first row seats back pretty far or maxed. Mom, who is tall but not as tall as Dad, will be the primary driver.

We're thinking we'll put the newborn rear facing behind the driver
the teen in the second row passenger seat
the grade schooler who is tall (54") and skinny, and doesn't maintain safe posture, in a high-backed booster on the driver's side in the third row (need to look up options to transition into)
and the toddler rear facing in the third row passenger side.

Mom.......Dad
Baby.......Teen
Child......Toddler

We would prefer the teen in the third row, but it wasn't a comfortable fit for leg room when sitting on the side so this arrangement has the teen in a captain's chair instead. That allows easier third row access since there's a second row seat without a car seat in it, but does create a difficulty in buckling the rear-facing toddler who is as far from Mom as possible. The child and teen are intentionally separated while the child and toddler are intentionally put together because of personalities.

I'm concerned about rear-facing with our Radian because it takes up so much horizontal room. I'm hoping it will continue to work well for the toddler and we can choose a comparable car seat for the newborn that doesn't take up so much horizontally.

Does anyone have experience with this vehicle to give us some tips on placement, logistics, or choices? Anyone have any thoughts on what might work or not work for us?

There's a chance we could wait to see the redesigned 2018 extended length Lincoln Navigator, but it is slim. We prefer the seating in the Lincoln where we can easily and comfortably put the teen anywhere, but the rear cargo room doesn't hold a candle to the Yukon XL and we travel far too much to give that up. We'd have to divide the family between two vehicles for months while postpartum, pay a good deal more, and the redesign might not even address our concern. But it is on the radar as a possibility if we really aren't liking the options the Yukon is giving us.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Thanks! We use the angle adjuster on the toddler's seat now.

The Lincoln's third row had a considerable incline in the bench, but the Yukon's third row was pretty even so it should be a big help there. The Radian's so wide when rear-facing that I don't know if that will be enough! lol Especially for the baby fitting behind the driver's seat.

We currently use the rear cargo area fully for regular travel and use a roof storage bag for longer or more involved travel (like camping). We expect to continue the pattern after baby arrives. I don't think our stroller would even fit in the Lincoln. The third row's back rest in the Lincoln angles back so far that we couldn't reasonably line our luggage up in the back and have any decent packing room remaining. This is not a problem for the Yukon, which has a comparable space to our current vehicle.

mamah

We have an older suburban. We have used a radian rf in the center rite captain's chair. I prefer the cocorro that were use now. I've also had a rf radian in the third row. Could your teen help with the toddler?

U

Unregistered

Hi Mamah! Thanks!
I've not seen a Cocorro. I've heard it mentioned and will look it up now, but I don't remember anything about it. What is it that you like better?

The teen can help, but isn't great at consistency and detail. It isn't uncommon for me to double check right now and find the straps far too loose, the chest clip by the belly, etc. We've covered it a ton, and there's no reason for the inconsistency, and it's well known how important this is for health and safety, but it still happens often enough that I'm not very trusting of it getting better with the distance getting further away. There's a 50/50 chance that by that time the child will be able to help the toddler and to express when it doesn't meet my expectations/when help is needed. I'll have to spot check and adjust from the teen's seat with some frequency, I think.

U

Unregistered

My husband went to a dealership and put the Radian in both the second and third row with the angle adjuster. It didn't fit appropriately in either one.

He said if the front row was moved up on the passenger side, it could fit with the appropriate 2" gap between the front seat and the car seat in the second row.

Or it could fit in the center position of the third row, requiring climbing over chairs to use the seats beside it.

Otherwise, it's a no go all around. So I think we'll be in the market for new seats all around.

I looked up the Cocorro and it looks like a nice version of the baby bucket, not good at all for extended rear facing. Everyone said the kiddos outgrow it quickly. I'd like something more comparable to the full lifespan use of the Diono, without it's horizontal space requirements.

U

Unregistered

bump.
We're definitely going to need something different.

Any advice on a seat for the baby and a seat for the toddler which is comparable to the Radian in safety features and extended rear facing and lifespan use but which doesn't take up as much horizontal room?

mom of six

I would consider looking at the Graco Milestone. I believe it takes up less front-to-back room then the Radian does and it is on the slimmer side. Graco also has their Slimfit which is a Milestone with collapsible cup holders. I think it is 19 inches at its widest so it is comparable to a Radian.

You might also think about using a smaller seat such as the Cosco Scenera Next while the newborn needs to be at a more reclined angle and then move to the Milestone once they are able to sit up unassisted and can be at a more upright angle in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC