WWYD? New seat

kelpiegirl

We will be moving the baby (6 months almost) out of the bucket soon and need to get another seat. We have 2 cars but one is rarely used for the kids.
Cars: 1. 2004 Ford Expedition. 2. 2009 Toyota Corolla.
Seats: 1. Graco Safe Seat (being "retired"). 2. Radian65. 3. Frontier. 4. Britax Blvd. 5. Turbobooster (currently used for friends, etc).
Kids: ODS 5y. 44.5" tall. 47#. Torso height ~17". YDS 6m. 28.5". 17.5# Torso height: ~11.5

I was thinking that we'd get ODS a new seat and put baby in Blvd and Radian but unsure and what. Radian is getting snug in the crotch or ODS but still works (top height). He's a good kid and behaves in a booster but think I would prefer him to be harnessed. But I don't necessarily want to spend $300 on a seat that will only work for another year. TIA.

Susan

ADS

Jan06twinmom

For a barely used car, I would probably go ahead and get a booster seat for a 5yo. When is his birthday? I bought a booster seat for my DS when he outgrew the Radian, but he was 5y10m at the time. My DH also told me that I wasn't allowed to buy him another harness seat at that point, so that made the decision easier:)

If you go with a booster, maybe go with the Parkway SG. If you want to consider a harness seat, the Graco Nautilus or SecureKid 300 would be good options. The Evenflo Maestro is also an option, but it only harnesses to 50lbs and your DS is getting close to that limit so I don't think it would be worth the money.

Melanie

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would grab a booster for oldest for the 2nd car. There's no proof that a 5-point is safer then a booster if the child can sit right at his age. Our almost 6y has been in a booster for a year. He does great.

kelpiegirl

Thanks. Any specific booster recommended? We have a turbo booster, which is fine but we use it at least weekly for a friend so I may buy another booster.
Thank again,
Susan

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Booster suggestions in no special order:
Graco turbo
Evenflo bigkid sport (not regular version)
Recaro vivo
Recaro probooster
Britax parkway
Diono monterey

If you can't try before buying on-line, purchase from somewhere with great return policy. Diapers and amazon are good.

Jan06twinmom

Graco turbo
Recaro vivo
Recaro probooster
Britax parkway
Diono monterey

If you can't try before buying on-line, purchase from somewhere with great return policy. Diapers and amazon are good.

I agree, but first try out what you can find near you. The Turbo and Bigkid are easy to find at places like Walmart and Target. I think I found the Parkway at BRU. Some place like USA Baby might carry other boosters to try out.

kelpiegirl

Thank you. We buy a lot on Amazon but will try and see what I can find locally to test first. Luckily we live in a larger city that has plenty of baby/kid stores.

CrazyBoysMamma

Graco turbo
Recaro vivo
Recaro probooster
Britax parkway
Diono monterey

Great list. I :love::love::love: the Vivo for smaller, skinny kids, and the ProBooster is a clear favorite among my older kids and my nephews. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC