wwyd booster or none poll

What would you pick?

• Drive boy without a booster

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Make him walk

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Leave your son and drive him, making him ride in a booster?

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other (that does not include using a phone)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

lovemy2kidstw

safeinthecar said:
Difference is, if he rides like that with his mom and something happens, SHE gets to pay the price. If he rides like that with you and something happens, YOU pay. 4 houses for 400 miles doesn't really matter to me
And by price, I mean the actual dollar amount that your insurance will go up after they pay to repair the lacerated spleen, liver, intestines, etc.

~signed, the girl who thought it would be no big deal to let her boyfriend drive a mile to 7-11 and had my insurance cancelled when he crashed 10 feet from the driveway.

I have to agree. Will something happen the few feet you have to drive him home? Probably not, but if it did you would be kicking yourself forever for not having him properly restrained. That's usually when accidents happen, is when you think oh I'm not going very far, so it will be okay this time.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you're the den leader, then you absolutely can't drive the kid without your kid or someone else in the car. It might be a grey area if you were not a BSA member and can't be expected to have done the Youth Protection Training and abide by its rules. But those rules are there to protect you (and BSA as an organization) as much as they are to protect the kids. Imagine the annoyed and embarrassed-at-riding-in-a-booster kid getting home and telling his mom that you hit him in the car or yelled profanities at him (or worse), and you have NO witnesses to prove it didn't happen. Minus the booster issue, this issue is covered specifically in the YPT you had to go through in order to become a Den Leader.

Walking him and leaving your son standing by the church is marginal. It's acceptable to have private conversations with youth, but only in view of others. It might be acceptable if your son stood there and watched you the entire time, but it would be much better to have him walk with you.

I think the idea of having the boys walk together and driving in your air conditioning would be good.

Or you and your son get into your nice car with the air conditioning, and wait for Mom to show up or for the kid to walk home.

Nimommyof2

I clicked other because I think we'd all just walk him over if its only a couple blocks. If weather was bad I'd probably just drive him without a booster or allow my son to ride without a booster.

tam_shops

I'd either make him walk or walk with him.

None of my son's friends are 9 yo yet, so I've yet to *go* there, but in general, my rule with that will be the same as a 5pt. Use the seat(s), I have in my car for you (that you are legal and safe in), or don't get in my car. So, we have a few friends that are not yet 40#, and they ride in the Maestro. We have a few friends that are 40# and if the Maestro is in, they ride in it, if not I'll put them in a booster.

I think I'll make the kids read my bumper sticker about riding to the max when the time comes! LOL

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC