Question Would you be ok with a 37 lb 4.5 year old in a lb booster in this situation?

U

Unregistered

From reading the boards on this subject, I gather that the consensus on this forum is that a 4.5 year old less than 40 lbs should be harnessed or at a minimum in a hb booster, but hear me out.

We have two kids, a 15 month old DS and a 4.5 year old DD. We live in NYC and do not own a car. We are in a car about once a month, usually to visit my inlaws who live in the burbs just north of the city. Usually we take the commuter train to their town and they pick us up and drive 5 minutes on not busy roads to their house. That means we have to carry two car seats on the train and then install them before making the 5 min drive. Then we reverse to come home, though sometimes my inlaws will offer to drive us back to the city.

My DD is 4.5, plenty tall enough for a lb booster but pretty lightweight, about 37 lbs. We currently use a Cosco Scenera for her. Do you think she'd be ok with a lb booster for this kind of car time? It's a real pain lugging two car seats around (15 month old of course staying in his), and then installing and uninstalling them every time, usually on the side of the road quickly like I'm a NASCAR pit crew. I'd love to get something like the BubbleBum that would be really easy to carry in my bag.

From what I've read, some people think that lb boosters are just as safe as hb ones, but hb ones encourage squirmy kids who are used to being harnessed to stay in the right position. FWIW, my DD is very rule-abiding and would stay where I told her to, I think. In any event, I'd be sitting right next to her if she tried to pull any shenanigans.

What do you think? Of course I'd want to do what's safe.

I'm also considering using a lb booster when we travel in two months to see my parents in FL because flying with two car seats is also not great. But more hesitant on this one because we'll be driving on the highway once we get there and some drivers down there can be crazy (I can say that as a FL native!). I'd love to get your thoughts on that too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
As far as the Bubblebum, that does have a 40# min, so that's out.

While I'd be ok with a well behaved 37# 4 yo in a no-back booster (wiuth a 30# starting weight) on 5 minute drive, how do you think she'd do on the longer trip if your parents drive you all the way home?

If the longer trip might prove a problem, how about this http://carseatblog.com/30798/the-go-is-back/

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You're right that ideally kids would be harnessed until at least 4 years and 40 lbs. However, I'd be okay with your child in a backless booster in the situation you describe: 10 minutes of driving once a month, with you there.

This does assume that the child will sit properly and that the booster allows for good belt fit. I also wouldn't be comfortable using a booster rated from 40 lbs for a child under that weight.

When you go on vacation, is your child likely to sleep? In that case, I'd be more comfortable with a harness or at least a high-back.

Lemonade

Personally I would buy in-laws a highback booster, like the graco turbo booster, and have them keep it at their house. I really wouldn't want to see a child of that size in a no back. In addition to whatever side protection it may provide, the sides do encourage staying in place and the belt guide allows for a good shoulder belt fit. There are shoulder belt guides on no back boosters but I just don't think they do as good of a job and are annoying.

As for your upcoming trip. I would try to pack a high back booster in a duffle and carry it on. They are lightweight and the back detaches from the bottom so it can flatten out. It's annoying but, kids:)

We recently used bubble bums for my kids for a FL trip. Slightly smaller than average 6.5 yr old, and WAY smaller than average 9 yr old. 9 yr old was fine (he's 50 pounds and 51 inches) but it still made me nervous for the 6.5 yr old. She had trouble staying in position because the air-filled booster is not as solid as regular ones. It requires more work for the child. We had a couple of 1-2 hour drives. So I would definitely discourage use of that on a 4.5 yr old.

jjordan

I agree that my preference in that situation would be to have your in-laws keep a highback booster at their house for your son to use when you visit. I would probably do the same thing for your parents in your upcoming trip to Florida (or perhaps spring for a harnessed seat since the drives will presumably be longer and possibly without a parent in the back seat to ensure proper booster use).

While that would be my preference, I do agree with safeinthecar and LISmama810 that a backless booster with a minimum weight rating less than 40# is acceptable for a 4.5 year old who uses it for 10 minutes once a month.

bnsnyde

If my child who just turned 4 uses the spare car, he uses the Recaro Performance Booster. He is 47 lbs. (was 49, at which point I ruled out the Maestro, then he lost a bit!). He is 46 inches. So 99% for height and 96% for weight. He sits perfectly and the fit is awesome. It's only for a 5 minute trip once in a blue moon. With the 2 boosters, any of the 4, 5, 7 and 8 YO can use them.

His normal seat (main van) is the Sure Ride. So happy I found one tall enough for him to actually last!

If the almost 2 YO rides in that car, I put in a different seat.

For your case, I would be fine with a high-back, less happy about a lbb but willing...I imagine it can be tough without a car, and lugging seats around!

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all the advice! Very helpful.

After reading all the responses, I think I'll go with a hbb for even the trips to see the inlaws. I hadn't thought about taking it apart, maybe we can throw it in a backpack or something and that will be easier to bring along. Also, I won't have to install it like the convertible and that saves one headache.

It would be nice to just leave a hbb with the inlaws but they think I'm crazy for insisting on carseats at all for such a short trip, so don't want to get into it with them. We'll see.

The other option I just thought of was the Ride Safer Travel Vest. Do you think that's less safe? It would seem the perfect solution for visiting the inlaws and going on vacation. It's pretty pricey, but if it's safe and if I can use it for the second kid eventually, maybe I'll spring for it.

Dillipop

We have a ride safer travel vest for travel and I really like it. Not as comfortable as a high back booster for a long trip but it was almost made for what you are looking to use it for. We have the ride safer 2, which allows tethering, making it so the child can't move as much and allows the vest to be used with a lap belt and tether if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nannykates

The safe rider travel vest and the harmony folding travel booster (if you can find one they are frequently out of stock) both sound like great options for your situation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC