Question Will my baby's carseat fit in my truck?

U

Unregistered

Hello, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota with a limited size backseat & am currently 4 months pregnant, I am very concerned if a rear facing carseat will fit in the backseat or even in the front if it's safe. Me & my husband have a 11 year old daughter & so it will be the 4 of us in the truck....although I know we need a bigger vehicle, that's just not a financial option right now.....please help, I'm obsessing over this issue!!!

ADS

Wreckgoddess

BUMP

Sorry. I am not familiar with that particular vehicle.
Hopefully someone else will answer...

Do you have a Babies R Us nearby? They let you take seats out to your car to try them out.

They don't carry them at Babies R Us, but the Cybex Aton is the smallest from front to back infant carrier on the market that I know of.
It is supposed to allow several more inches between it and the vehicle seat in front of it than a Chicco, for example.

it's not the cheapest option out there, but it may be the only one that fits? Again, I have no experience with your vehicle. It does have a 32 lb weight max, so thats nice. It won't be outgrown until the baby's head is less than one inch from the top of the carseat plastic shell, or hits 32 lbs.
(My son was chunky but has a short torso, so he was able to stay in his (30 lb weight limtit) infant carseat until 19 months! So if you have a similarly torso heighted child, this seat could buy you some decent time to get a convertible that will fit or a different vehicle with more room?)
http://www.albeebaby.com/cybex-aton-infant-car-seat-chili-pepper.html
A nice little review of it: (has some more pictures)
http://www.bellaviebabyplanners.com/cybex-aton-review/

A Chicco Keyfit might work?

Seats I don't recommend you try?
Ones that require you to have the handle in the "down position" (between the infant carseat and the front seat) while the vehicle is in motion. Most Evenflo seats require that, if not all of them. *This will make the carseat take up more room in the backseat*
So Evenflo seats may be eliminated completely for you...

-I can't remember if Baby Trend requires the handle down.

-I know the Graco Snugride with the 22 lb weight limit is pretty big front to back... probably won't fit?

Keeanh

We had a small-ish back seat at one time and the only way to fit an infant seat was to install it without the base. What about a Coccoro? Or a True Fit? They're pretty small front-to-back.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Another thing you can do, if you have the fold down center front seat, is pick something high enough on a base to go above the top of the folded front seat. I was able to do this easily with convertibles in my dad's truck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC