Why must a lock-off be used with free sliding latch plate (Combi Coccoro)?

LC2003

See this in my Coccoro manual:

"Pull out on latch plate. If belt slides freely through latch plate, a belt lock-off MUST be used."

"Some combination lap/shoulder belts with free sliding latch plates may be converted into an "automatic locking mode." Always use a belt lock-off with these systems."

Why? Is this just for the Coccoro or for any car seat installed with a seat belt with sliding plate? I feel like all new cars have sliding latch plates. Should we be using lock-offs for every car seat, or is this just Coccoro?

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

I take that to mean that you need to lock the belt in some way. A free sliding latch plate needs to either use a locking clip, lock off, or be able to be pulled all the way out and ratchet back in, thereby locking the belt.

Cnidaria

There was some wording in older Evenflo manuals that seemed to imply that you needed a locking clip even if you have a switchable retractor. Evenflo confirmed that's not what they meant.

Maybe this is a remnant of the same thing, some previously required language that's been made obsolete by widespread switchable retractors but persists in manuals?

Cnidaria

Disregard what I was saying above. I was thinking about locking clips.

The wording in your manual is just applicable to the Coccoro, since it has belt lockoffs. When you use a seat's built-in lockoff you don't lock the seatbelt at the retractor. It sounds like Combi wants you to use the lockoff, instead of switching the retractor.

From http://carseatblog.com/1750/combi-coccoro-review/ "There are lock-offs for both rear and forward facing. The rear facing lock-off is for lap/shoulder belts only. It is a separate piece that snaps onto the seatbelt. There are integrated lock-offs for forward facing. They are slot style with a hinged tab."

LC2003

Re: Why must a lock-off be used with free sliding latch plate?

I still don't understand. I am using it RFing with the seatbelt, routed Euro-style. It comes with a blue clip that is separate and attaches to the shoulder portion of the belt above the strap. I can lock the seatbelt by pulling it out all the way and then it ratchets back. If I do this, I get no movement at the belt path, period. I suppose I could force the clip on there, too, but I don't see what it would add.

Cnidaria

From what I understand, Combi wants you to use their seatbelt lockoff and NOT lock your seatbelt at the retractor. But hopefully a tech or experienced Coccoro-owner will chime in to confirm.

And/or you could call Combi on Monday.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That is what the manual says, and if you call Combi customer service, they'll probably tell you the same thing.

Combi's former CPST-I rep confirmed to me that you do NOT need to use a lockoff if the belt locks another way (or, RF, if the belt guide holds it right), but she's no longer there.

That manual is rife with issues, IMO.

Last edited:

LC2003

That is what the manual says, and if you call Combi customer service, they'll probably tell you the same thing.

Combi'a former CPST-I rep confirmed to me that you do NOT need to use a lockoff if the belt locks another way (or, RF, if the belt guide holds it right), but she's no longer there.

That manual is rife with issues, IMO.

It is one of the most confusing I have read in 11 years and five kids' worth of car seats.

So I'm going to leave the locking clip in the storage pouch and leave it the way it is locked with the seatbelt.

Now - is there a suitable RFing tether point for my 2013 Toyota Sienna? It is in the center of the 2nd row, so I imagine using the seat frame is more than 20 degrees off center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC