Which seat should I buy?

Carter's Mommy

I originally wanted to get DS the Britax Frontier and he really wanted the cowmooflage, then I thought I needed a Radian (for 3 across when I babysit) to harness him until passing it to DD. I've got a gift card waiting to be spent (can't believe I've managed to hold on to it for several months already). I *was* waiting to see if I had to get a Radian for space purposes or if we were going to buy a minivan. Bought a '06 Odyssey last night and opened up several more options...but now that the Diono's convert to a booster, I'm wondering if I should stick with a Radian (although I love headwings and heard the RXT doesn't do well in booster mode). Also, we recently got a Graco HBB for a spare for rare carpooling occasions and DS really wants to use that (seems so flimsy compared to what I'm used to--Britax & Recaro). Anyway, he hasn't said anything, other than being excited about a booster, but I'd like to get him a more "big kid" looking seat.

DS is turning 6 next month and a little over 40 lbs. I really like the look of the blue Recoaro Sport and it'll harness him quite a bit longer (he was 43" last time I measured, guessing torso height is about 16.5").

DD is in a Britax BV that's going to expire in about a year (she's a tall/skinny almost 3 yo). I like the thought of a seat that can be passed to her as well...and a baby #3 is still a possibility. Really, I'm probably letting way too many future factors influence my decision.

You guys are fabulous, so eager to hear your thoughts and recommendations!

TIA :)

ADS

djma

I don't think the shoulder guides for the booster use on the radian are moveable. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) So you would get more harness use and booster use out of a frontier.

Carter's Mommy

I had read something about that as well. So I guess I'm between the Recaro ProSport, Britax Frontier, Radian w/o headwings (100 or 120?)...or something else??? The next time I go to look at car seats I'm hoping to actually leave with one. ;-)

Kaitsmom

The Diono seats are outgrown in booster mode at th same time they are outgrown in harness mode since you cant raise the headrest & the harness is either 17" or 17.5" so is nearly outgrown if he has a 16.5" torso. I have a Frontier and love it, but my DD is only 3 1/2 with a 16" torso so a booster isnt even on our radar yet. How much longer were you planning on keeping him harnessed? Where are you shopping for a seat, since all seats arent available everywhere.

Carter's Mommy

The Diono seats are outgrown in booster mode at th same time they are outgrown in harness mode
Thank you! I thought that was only the case wih the RXT b/c of the headwings. I'm shopping at Baby World and they have a great selection of higher end seats. So far I think I actually like the look of the prosport even more than the booster only seats, but I'm open to other suggestions from people.

Kaitsmom

Have you tried him in a booster? I would give it a shot and see how he does with it. If hes ready for a booster and you like Recaro try the ProBooster. I wouldnt spend the money on a harnessed seat that wouldnt be used long unelss your daughter would need it in a year, and then you need to buy him another seat anyway

Carter's Mommy

I was sort of planning to harness him until he asked me not to and/or notices that his friends are in boosters and wants to be too. If he were younger I wouldn't care what his friends were doing or if he wanted to be harnessed, but he's a good age to start boostering IMO. I wasn't wanting to spend the extra $ *just* b/c of the clean look of the prosport, but because DD's Britax will be expiring in a year or so. I suppose I could get him a booster now and worry about her seat later, but I have $250 to spend so was feeling excited to shop. :D

Perhaps I should start a new thread, but anyone know how long kids booster for? I know CA just changed the law to 8 yrs or 80 lbs (yay!), but what's recommended? I'm guessing 4'9" but that's from PA advertisements when we lived there, and I believe also a loophole in the new CA law. I have no clue what age he'd be that height at, but guessing after 8 a backless booster would suffice if needed. Thoughts? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If he can sit properly in a booster, he is equally safe in that as he is harnessed. I personally wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for a 6 year old. :twocents:

There are plenty of boosters you could look at- Recaro ProBooster, Diono Monterey, Graco Turbobooster.

Kac

Oh just read your recent post. Sorry. A child must be boostered until they pass the five step test. Age and weight must be achieved legally so 8 & 80, and while some children can pass the five step test at 4' 9" without a booster, not all can. Some kids are in boosters until 9-11.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

ETA: my wording

Last edited:

Carter's Mommy

If he can sit properly in a booster, he is equally safe in that as he is harnessed. I personally wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for a 6 year old. :twocents:

There are plenty of boosters you could look at- Recaro ProBooster, Diono Monterey, Graco Turbobooster.

I'll weigh him tomorrow. Shouldn't they be at least 40 lbs (recommended min. weight)? Our spare is a turbobooster, but I'd really prefer something more substantial (and that latches into the vehicle). He couldn't use the TB in the center of either of our vehicles because it tipped over, maybe that has something to do with why I've preferred harnessing. He's outboard now though (and using the turbobooster in the Odyssey). He does sit properly in the booster, unless he wants to put the sunshade up or reach for a book. Maybe I'm paranoid, but am trying to drill that he has to pretend he's harnessed b/c I want him sitting properly 100% of the time. Ooh, what about sleeping in the car??? We have a couple long road trips planned this month and next and another one in the summer.

Kac

I read that he was 40lbs, so he should fit in a booster.

Road trips are another story. Some people are more comfortable with their child harnessed during road trips so that they can sleep without worrying about staying in position. Some children can sleep in a booster with their head tilted back or to the side and it doesn't alter the fit. In that case, try a Nautilus or Frontier. If you can get a harnessed seat and keep him until he outgrows it and then pass it down to your other child, that works too. :)

A Radian would work, but the booster part of the Diono seats are outgrown when the harness is.

Carter's Mommy

Oh just read your recent post. Sorry. A child must be boostered until they pass the five step test. Age and weight don't matter, and while some children can pass the five step test at 4' 9" without a booster, not all can.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Perfect, thanks!! I suppose the vehicle seat depth impacts the 5-pt test then too. Any idea what age kids "should" switch to a backless booster? I'm guessing some on here might say never, but I could be wrong.

Thinking of boostering him in the prosport, then passing it down to DD to use harnessed and buying him something cheaper AFTER I've gotten comfortable with full time boostering, long road trips and all. (Or giving him the TB if I no longer need it part time for babysitting).

Thanks to all for helping me think through this decision! I'm indecisive!!

Kac

I :love: the ProSport, but never used it as a booster. That's nice to have too, be ause you can harness on road trips.

Backless and High-back boosters are both safe, as long as the seatbelt is properly on the child. Like you said, it's nice to have the wings for sleeping and extra protection. A lot of people start using backless boosters as a backup and then will use it full time once they're comfortable.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have dd almost 5y in a frontier. It was the perfect choice for her last year. She will hopefully make it 1 more year before moving to booster mode.

We bought ds almost 6y a monterey last year. He loves it. He sleeps in it great. We take 5 hour road trips often. Going this week even. He totally stays in position. He has a turbo for dh vehicle and doesn't like it as well. He is super tall and doesn't have enough leg support in the turbo.

All kids are different when they move out of a booster. Our older kids were 7-8y. But they are extremely tall. Our niece and nephews will likely be 12y.

Carter's Mommy

Thanks everyone for helping me think through my options! Now I'm leaning towards getting him a quality HB booster and saving the extra gift card $ for a little over a year when DD's Britax expires. My initial reservations with this was switching to full time boostering, but I also had a very tough time turning him FF'ing at 3 yo. He's a good listener/rule follower. :)

Recaro ProBooster, Diono Montery, Britax Parway...are there any others?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC