Which Radian?

reissgirl

I know they all have to pass the same safety tests, but do you think the RXT head wings add extra safety? If all of them were to cost the same, which one would you choose (RF 18mos)? As far as I know, it's not proven that the head wings offer added safety, but it's hard to justify not spending an extra $90 for the possibility that the RXT is a bit safer. Then again, it's hard to spend $270! WWYD?

Also, should I get Storm or Shadow? Thanks.

ADS

MUTigers

I'll let other people speak to the actual extra safety (or lack thereof) of the headwings, but I went with the RXT for them. DD rides outboard in both our cars because of my 6'9" husband do they just make us feel a little better.

As to shadow vs storm that depends on which fabric you would prefer. The shadow is a kind of rip-stop nylon and I believe the storm is more of a plush fabric. I have the cobalt and daytona covers that are the nylon and love them! I just got the cobalt but have had the daytona for a few months. I haven't had a problem with dirt and no tearing or pilling.

aept

I have 2 older sunshine kids radian 65 seats that don't have headwings. It has never really bothered me that they don't have them.
However, we recently needed to purchase another radian and I went with the RXT. Why? I knew I wanted the ability to RF to 45 lbs. Partly just to try out the headwings. Also because I don't like the look, and question the safety (for a an adjacent passenger) of the belt guides on top of the R120 (or R100.) The old radians cannot be boosters so they don't have seat belt guides at all. The RXT has the belt guide on the bottom of the head wings, which seems like a good location to me. I don't plan on using it as a booster so I'd rather the belt guide just be as inconspicuous as possible.
Also, I found it on sale and I ended up getting it in cobalt - my favorite color! That was luck though. Long story - my hunch is that it wasn't really supposed to be on sale but they honored the price.
The only possible downsides I can see to the headwings:
Some kids might not like them if they are blocking their view (doesn't seem to be an issue in my car.)
More expensive than the R120.
They do limit how tall a child can be (more of a problem for FF) or example, my oldest son is nearly 6 and he can ride in a FF radian 65 (no wings) but I'm pretty sure his shoulders wouldn't fit under the headwings on their tallest setting on the rxt if I had that one installed FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

careynj

I bought the RXT because the kid using it is a car sleeper and it won't really need to be used FF since she has a frontier to grow up into. She much prefers it to her former seat which was a marathon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC