What seat(s) should I buy?

Caroline162

Well, after going around and around about what second car to buy (I posted about the Mazda5 earlier this year), I just bought a 2012 VW Jetta (should be delivered to me in 36 hours - yay!) I have four kids, who obviously won't all fit, but I don't care because we have an Expedition for that... this car will be my gas-saving errand and grocery shopping car, and the car that I drive myself and my two oldest daughters to school every morning (then DH will pick them up in the Expedition with the two little guys). The girls are 5.5 and 7 and are in Harmony boosters. I have like a dozen booster seats, so I've got that covered. Now I will on occasion have the little one(s) with me - like if I need to take one to the doctor, or maybe sometimes I will have both boys while DH has the girls running errands/birthday parties on a Saturday or something. The boys are 2.5 and 10 months (the 10 month old is little and 17lbs).

I *think* what I want is a small convertible seat that I can easily move the straps up and down on, and can install/uninstall/turn around easily, so that either boy can ride in it. Is there such a seat? DH always does the strap adjusting/installing for me, and it looks like a major ordeal with the Britaxes and True Fit we've had. We currently have a True Fit, a Regent, and a Snugride 32. My 2.5 year old barfs RFing so he is FF now in the Regent. I am thinking of putting the True Fit RF in the Expedition for the baby to use, keep the Regent in there for the 2.5 year old, then buy a convertible that I can use for either boy in the Jetta with the two boosters. If I need both boys in the Jetta, I can put one in the new convertible seat and the baby in the Snugride (at least for a while).

So I guess I'm looking for a convertible seat that
*is easy to install in the Jetta
*will fit three across with two boosters or one booster and a Snugride
*has straps that are easy to move up and down

Or any other suggestions or things I am overlooking...

ADS

Caroline162

I am looking at the Radian R100... it would be nice to be able to fold it, since we have very limited storage in our old house, and it will last longer since it's also a booster... how hard is it to move straps/turn around?

Brianna

How comfortable are you switching the True Fit? If it's easy enough for you, I would put that in your car and get a new convertible for the Expedition.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Caroline162

How comfortable are you switching the True Fit? If it's easy enough for you, I would put that in your car and get a new convertible for the Expedition.

It seems really heavy to me, so I don't love the idea of taking it in and out, but I have never really tried and I don't know how easy the straps are to adjust. I wonder how narrow it is compared to the Coccoro too - I want a narrow seat so that the girls can (hopefully) still buckle themselves when it is installed. Why would you get a new convertible for the Expedition instead of for the Jetta?

Brianna

Come to think of it, it may be too wide. I'm on my phone now so searching isn't very easy, but have you searched the three across thread for Jetta?

henrietta

The Safety First Complete Air isn't so bad in a VW once you get used to installing it rearfacing. It will probably need a noodle, BUT since you have a new Jetta, you also have LATCH. So, I would leave the LATCH belt in for rearfacing installs and keep a pool noodle in your trunk for those. AND I would install it forward facing with the seatbelt. That way, you don't have to thread the seatbelt thru the rearfacing belt path, which can be a pain. The noodle is easy w/a ten month old.

Also, it's a decently narrow seat, will last a REALLY long time for both of your boys, AND it has a no rethread harness, which to me, would be uber important when swapping out kiddos.

hths

Kaitsmom

How heavy is the 2.5 yr old? A Complete Air 65 fits great rfing in my sisters Jetta. If the older one is under 40lbs i would leave him rfing and not worry about turning the seat

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC