What mid/large size sedans have center LATCH???

BabyKaykes

What small SUVs or mid/large size sedans have center LATCH???

Title really says it all....

Putting the seat outboard is NOT an option, there are growing teens that need to go on either side of it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 2002 and newer Chevy Impala has 3 full sets of LATCH allowing up to 3 lower LATCH anchor installations simultaneously. :thumbsup: The Chevy Malibu doesn't have 3 full sets of LATCH that can be used all at once, and center LATCH allowability depends on the Malibu's model/model year, though. The 2002-2004 Malibu (also called the Malibu Classic) has 2 outboard sets of LATCH and no borrowing of the outboard lower LATCH anchors is allowed for installing in the center. The 2005 and newer Malibus have 5 lower LATCH anchors where the inboard driver's side lower LATCH anchor can be used for either a center lower LATCH anchor installation, or a driver's side LATCH installation, and installing with LATCH in the center precludes using the driver's side position for a LATCH or seatbelt installation.

The 2007 and newer Honda CR-V has center LATCH but also has a setup with lower anchors spaced in such a way or restrictions in the manual that don't allow for 3 simultaneous LATCH installations. The 2002-2007 Saturn Vue has 3 full sets of LATCH allowing up to 3 lower LATCH installations. These are just going from memory. :) Somewhere around here there's a thread, probably here in the Car Safety section of the forum, there's a comprehensive list of vehicles with 3 full sets of LATCH or allowing center LATCH installs. Aha, here's that thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=24071 That thread began in 2007 but was updated more recently in a later post by Crunchierthanthou near the end of the thread with info. from the most recent 2009 edition of the LATCH manual.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ooh, my dh's 02 Caddy has 3 full sets of latch that in theory can be used all at once:thumbsup: Although, I realized that the side latch may take up middle latch room. Oh, and the back seat is really big and roomy;)

BabyKaykes

on second thought...not quite the list i was looking for....I only need to install one seat in the car, it'll be in the center, no exceptions. i don't care at all about installing other seats at the same time with LATCH, as long as I can LATCH in the middle

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That list in the other thread has the models with 3 full sets of LATCH and dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors for the center, you're right. It's a good guide for you in that regard in terms of dedicated lower LATCH anchors in the center, but the vehicles that allow borrowing of outboard lower LATCH anchors to install in the center if the carseat manufacturer also allows it aren't all included on that list. Here's a quick stab at typing up a list from the LATCH manual by vehicle brand to narrow it down a bit more in terms of borrowing, with the caveat that certain vehicle brands only allow borrowing in certain specific models, and I'm just doing a quickie list by brand from the LATCH manual:

Certain specific Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep models allow borrowing if the carseat allows borrowing.

Some specific Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models through the 2008 model year, and all Fords starting with the 2009 model year, allow borrowing if the carseat manufacturer also allows it.

Some specific Mazda models also allow borrowing to do center LATCH installs if the carseat permits it.

The list of vehicle brands that don't allow borrowing is a longer one:

Acura, Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Maserati, Mercedes, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Saab, Scion, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volvo, VW and most other non-domestic brands do not allow borrowing and allow only use of dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors.

GM doesn't allow borrowing anymore (GM used to but rescinded allowing it :thumbsdown:).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC