What age is generally considered ok to turn FF?

V

VanIsleMommy

I know we want to keep our LO's RF as long as possible, but what age is it ok to turn them FF? DS is outgrowing his seat in about 3 pounds (a TF) and I don't think there is any other option to keep him RF after that as he's very tall in the torso, and I'm having huge guilt about it.

I remember reading something about when their bones are strong enough to withstand crash forces FF?

He's on the 2nd highest harness slot for his TF and 31.5 pounds right now and nearly 3. Am I right that there is really no other option than the TF or have I overlooked something?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Well, that answer will be different for everybody. My minimum is 2, my goal is 3. Some people's min is 3 and goal is 4, etc. Basically, that bone maturity happens a little differently for every kid, but every day gets you a little closer to complete;y ossified vertebre.

As for what seat options you have, not sure. How much more room does he have in the TF, measured like this?

V

VanIsleMommy

I'll have to put him in the seat and measure, but he has quite a bit of head room. I went back and forth between the radian and true fit but ended up with the true fit because it was half the price and he's so skinny. But now that the radians are on sale I wonder if it might be worth it for the extra 10 pounds. Right now he hasn't gained even half a pound in months... so it's a tough choice.

jess71903

Ambassador
Have you tried the MyRide? Has he outgrown it (i.e. less than 1" of shell above his head). If not, then it could be a back-up in case he does get to 35lbs before you're ready to turn.

Jessica61624

At 3 I'm ok with ff. The tf is a good seat ff also. If you can afford it go for the Radian. I bought my dd a nauti at 2.5. Six months later I sold it and got a myride to rf her. Six months later I sold it and got a frontier. I look back and realize I should have kept the nauti.

V

VanIsleMommy

I moved him out of the myride and got the TF because he was getting really close to the 1" rule. He's more than likely past it now :( He had a huge growth spurt about 2 months after I bought the seat.

Keeanh

The Radian would be your best bet, I think.

Otherwise... Now this is *just me*, but I am comfortable with the Complete Air not being at 45 deg, and ignoring the silly Canadian height limit. I got my CA SE for $114 + 7500 points at Save-On through their rewards program (you can get the points you need by buying 10 boxes of cereal during a promo). The regular CA is $130 from Costco.ca.

V

VanIsleMommy

Alright, now I feel really dumb. Apparently my eyeball measurement of 1" is WAAAAY off. I pulled the myride out of the garage, and measured with a measuring tape, and from the top of his head to the top of the seat is 2.5". In the true fit, there is a good 5". He's on the 2nd highest harness slots on both.

So he has 1.5" in torso height and 14 pounds to go RF in the myride, or 4" in torso height and 3.5 pounds to go until he's outgrown the true fit. I feel really silly for buying the true fit now, since we didn't need it, it's a pain to install, and he actually prefers the myride seat better. I *DID* buy it on sale at least.

I guess I'll hang onto it until he's 35 pounds in case he shoots up in height but stays skinny, and I suppose I can use either one for the baby when he/she is out of the infant seat. *smacks forehead* :rolleyes:

rxmommy

I can't eyeball to save my soul, so don't feel silly. I need to grab a tape measure and see just how much room Sophie has in her RA in dh's truck. To me it doesn't look like much but it's probably at least 2" like in your case.:eek:

At least you will probably have a use for the seats!

V

VanIsleMommy

for sure, worst case scenario they can always be daddy's truck seats (when he gets a new one with tethers).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC