Question Way to lengthen tether on Sureride?

birthday

I spent about an hour out in my van (07 Ody) today trying to arrange three car seats for the new baby due any day now, and what I thought was a brilliant plan in installing the Sureride FF in the third row LATCH position is turning out to be less brilliant than I thought because the rear tether anchor is just about a cm too short to reach the rear tether location in the car. What in the world do I do?? Up to now it's been installed in the driver's side 2nd row captain chair, and it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't work in the third row. Is it acceptable to install it via the belts without the rear tether, even though that's less than ideal? Or is there a way to get a longer tether (grasping at straws here, I know)? The rear tether anchor is super annoying and far away in the 3rd row of an Ody, but to my knowledge, there is no other acceptable tether anchor location, correct?

If it helps, I'm trying to install for three kids:
4 yo, 43" and 40 lbs in the Sureride FF
20 month old 30" 24 lbs RF in a Foonf
Newborn RF in a KF30

I do have the "plus one" seat for my Odyssey, but haven't been able to work out a 3-across combo with those seats that works. I really don't want to have to put one of the RF seats in the third row for obvious reasons.

ADS

nannykates

I spent about an hour out in my van (07 Ody) today trying to arrange three car seats for the new baby due any day now, and what I thought was a brilliant plan in installing the Sureride FF in the third row LATCH position is turning out to be less brilliant than I thought because the rear tether anchor is just about a cm too short to reach the rear tether location in the car. What in the world do I do?? Up to now it's been installed in the driver's side 2nd row captain chair, and it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't work in the third row. Is it acceptable to install it via the belts without the rear tether, even though that's less than ideal? Or is there a way to get a longer tether (grasping at straws here, I know)? The rear tether anchor is super annoying and far away in the 3rd row of an Ody, but to my knowledge, there is no other acceptable tether anchor location, correct?

If it helps, I'm trying to install for three kids:
4 yo, 43" and 40 lbs in the Sureride FF
20 month old 30" 24 lbs RF in a Foonf
Newborn RF in a KF30

I do have the "plus one" seat for my Odyssey, but haven't been able to work out a 3-across combo with those seats that works. I really don't want to have to put one of the RF seats in the third row for obvious reasons.

If you move your 4yo to the side in the 3rd row the tether will reach. Otherwise evenflo has tether extenders. If you are using it untethered in the meantime you should use the seatbelt to install.

tiggercat

You can call Evenflo and ask for a tether extender.

Alternatively, can you attach the tether first, then tighten the carseat? Make sure you are getting a nice tight install independent of the snug tether strap :)

birthday

You can call Evenflo and ask for a tether extender.

Alternatively, can you attach the tether first, then tighten the carseat? Make sure you are getting a nice tight install independent of the snug tether strap :)

Oh, that might work! Didn't think of that! It's so incredibly close that it might work. I just could NOT quite pull it that last cm to hook it on.
Thank you! Also did not know I could just call Evenflo, so will try that if this doesn't work.

Yes, I do know not to use it installed via LATCH without the tether. It is still out there like that, but I wouldn't go anywhere with it that way. I actually didn't think you were supposed to use it with a belt install without it, either, but I must have misread the manual.

tiggercat

Oh, that might work! Didn't think of that! It's so incredibly close that it might work. I just could NOT quite pull it that last cm to hook it on.
Thank you! Also did not know I could just call Evenflo, so will try that if this doesn't work.

Yes, I do know not to use it installed via LATCH without the tether. It is still out there like that, but I wouldn't go anywhere with it that way. I actually didn't think you were supposed to use it with a belt install without it, either, but I must have misread the manual.

Evenflo strongly recommends the use of the top tether in the USA and requires it in Canada, from what I understand.

birthday

Well, thanks for your help! I was able to get it in that way, and I'm certain the tightness at the belt path (LATCH path?) is tight independently of the top tether. I'm going to go ahead and call about an extender, as it really is that close, but I really think it's ok for now.

As a side note, moving the seat to the side actually requires more tether length, ever so slightly, so that didn't work.

But thanks for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC