Volvo 960 wagon - pros/cons?

TerisBoys

My van is on it's last legs, and I've got a chance to get a 1997 Volvo 960 wagon in amazing shape for a really reasonable price. It'd be a nice, sturdy car for Josh in a few years *gulp*, and be roomy enough for all 4 of us plus the dog.

So - pros/cons? I've heard they can be expensive to service/repair...Is this true, or is that only the turbo models? Anything else I should know before I go beyond kicking tires and saying "Yes, it does look really nice." ?

ADS

scariestone

Even non turbo models are horrifically expensive to fix. We just got rid of our '95 850 sedan and had to put at least 1k into it every year and nothing big every broke on it! In general, European cars are quite expensive to fix. Beyond that, they are very safe cars. Most people like them. We hated ours because the layout of the inside made no sense at all and the ceiling was so short it made me feel claustrophobic to ride in it. I would say if its half the price of anything else you're looking at, it may be worth it. Otherwise probably not in the long run, especially if a teenager is going to be driving it in a few years. Teens don't tend to treat their cars very, um, tenderly.

circeo1

Great wagons that are built like tanks. A couple of things to check if you don't want $$$ repair bills right away: timing belt must be replaced every 70k miles; rear main seal has a tendency to leak, P/S sometimes leaks, PNP switch may need to be replaced. Don't be scared: if half of these have been done recently, you're good to go. The other thing is that these cars go for several hundred thousand miles and oftentimes those with more miles are the better deal.

I came here looking for seat attachment advice for the 960 but I'm happy to persuade others to look at this car. It's a Cadillac ride on the highway - super smooth and just as tight as a Mercedes and you don't get those "looks" when you pull up in a Volvo :)

TerisBoys

It's got 200k on it, and they're only asking $2500. I can't find a decent looking compact for that price around here, honestly.

The lot still has it. I'll probably go back sometime this week to look again and check service records and such. Thanks for the tips!

tl01

I had an 850 turbo wagon a while back and I loved it. It was under warranty at the time so I don't know about repair costs, but I sure was sad to give it up. I think the 960 I'd a little bigger is I'm not mistaken.

circeo1

Well, I just bought a 960 wagon for $1400 with 200k miles on it (yes, I'm nuts, too, but these cars really do last). You should be able to get that car for less.

Check records and ask to look under the car and see if there is any oil puddles underneath. The transmissions are very stout but the engine does leak.

Now, any advice on installing seats in these cars...? The headrests are a bit problematic for our Radian seats.

oh, one more thing: these are RWD cars, so snow tires are a MUST have in the winter. The "W" button on the console will help in the snowy conditions.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't let the sturdy appearance fool you, it was built before all the newer safety standards went into effect... here's a nice terrifying video that will make you hate me... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86M_fV-1yKY"]YouTube - Fifth Gear - Renault Modus Vs Volvo 940 - crashtest[/ame] :eek:

TerisBoys

Now, any advice on installing seats in these cars...? The headrests are a bit problematic for our Radian seats.

You'll probably get more advice if you start your own thread in Carseat Chat. I've never driven a Volvo and have no real advice on installs. And my smallest is in a bpb now, so...

Don't let the sturdy appearance fool you, it was built before all the newer safety standards went into effect... here's a nice terrifying video that will make you hate me... :eek:

I was trying to remember if that's what was in that test. IMO it's better than my 2000 Caravan.

It all may be moot if I can't get myself up to speed hours-wise at work soon. My savings are dwindling :(

TerisBoys

i'm pretty sure the 1997 960 model is newer than the one in the video.

It's the same body style, but did have airbags at least. I realize it doesn't have the newest latest safety technology. I'm just trying to get the best vehicle that will fit my long-legged boys without requiring a shoehorn, my budget (which is teeny), and be safe. I really want to get away from a minivan, but still need room for the dog and such.

tl01

It's the same body style, but did have airbags at least. I realize it doesn't have the newest latest safety technology. I'm just trying to get the best vehicle that will fit my long-legged boys without requiring a shoehorn, my budget (which is teeny), and be safe. I really want to get away from a minivan, but still need room for the dog and such.

The one I'm thinking of looks like this...
http://www.google.com/m/search?site...l=us&client=safari&q=1997 960 volvo wagon#i=1

bfedwards

Hello.

How safe?
Extremely maneuverable at high highway speeds. Very tight suspension that allows panic changes at 80 mph with full control.

Superb braking system.

Built like a tank. My '95 960 wagon took an 18 yr old's rear ending me at 45 miles per hour while I was at a red light standstill. It readjusted all my door clearances but drove for 2 months until I replaced it with a '96 960 wagon. His car was less than usable.....

18 mpg city, 22 to 24 mpg hwy.

But yes it has it's quirks. Particularly with the baffels of the climate control which can not be repaired or replaced. The door handles have a tendency to break every 15 yrs of use ( hint: the 740 handle is available on line for $35 and the part that breaks is inter changeable between the models regardless of whether right or left door).

The parts are becoming harder to get for the trim and such as new, but are readily available at volvo graveyards as multiple years and styles had the same parts. Front leather seats about $200 if needed.

New parts are not cheap. This is a European auto.

The average mechanic can not successfully work on this car. Volvo's are a different breed . You will pay for this knowledge.

Get the thermostat changed off the bat. Its the one part that might leave you at the roadside if >120k miles present.

Get a torx wrench set at Sears. (one handle, multiple inserts) as you will need it.

TerisBoys

Because of the problems with my hip, I ended up passing. Until I can work full-time, I'll make the van limp by. It's not dangerous, just getting creaky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC