USA travel seat for newborn

mom2dandh

Next month my sister-in-law will be travelling to Disneyland (from Canada) with my parents. Parents don't see the value in buying a ticket for a seven week old baby for a two & half hour flight. So I was thinking that instead of gate checking her peg infant seat:thumbsdown:, her hubby should buy one in LA since he will be there a couple of days in advance for work. He's expected to pick them up at the airport. What do you recommend they buy, I'm not that familiar with infant seats, especially what is available in USA. What do you think of the Baby Trend Flex-loc, Walmart has them online for $89. Would that fit easily in a rental, probably something like a Ford Escape.

Sorry for rambling, you all give such great advice. Thanks for any suggestions.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The Baby Trend is an easy LATCH install, but an annoying seat belt install, so as long as you don't mind putting it in an outboard position if your rental car doesn't allow for center LATCH, it's a fine seat. BT does require the handle in the down position in the vehicle, so you just have to remember that.

Would you mind doing a convertible, or do you want an infant seat? A Cosco Apt or Scenera fit newborns and they're only about $40. You'll want to pack a towel or a few pool noodle sections in your carry on because you'll probably need them to get a good angle for a newborn, but it's probably the least expensive option.

mom2dandh

Thanks for the info. I'm going to guess that they would prefer an infant seat, since he is so young & still sleeping so much of the time. What bucket would you recommend? There will probably be two other people in the back seat with the baby, a small 13 yr old & an adult. How about a Graco Snugride, I think it is a rear adjust, but will only be used for a week, it shouldn't need adjusted much. Does the handle have to be down? Would we need to install without the base for enough room?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The basic Snugride is a good option too - it does allow the handle to be up, again you're probably going to want to install with LATCH but that's pretty much any of the inexpensive infant seats, when you install the base with a locking retractor they just start to tip up. You should have plenty of room with it for two other adults in the back seat though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC