Traveling with 3 kids under 6

crs175

I have 3 kids, all under 6. Here are their stats to start off with:

5.5 year old, about 50 lbs, about average height for his age. In our cars he's either harnessed in a SecureKid or in a Radian.

3.5 year old, stats will be a bit different because he has a form of dwarfism (achondroplasia) but his upper torso is about average height for his age. His legs/arms are not. He's around 26 lbs. In our cars he's rearfacing in a Radian in both cars.

1.5 year old, 26 lbs about average height for her age. Rearfacing in a Britax Boulevard in one car, Radian in the other.

Obviously we have to deal with 3 across in any rental car we get. Minivan rentals are stupid expensive, so this is my plan. Please tell me if this will work.

Since 5.5 year old is not used to a booster, I was wary of getting the bubblebum. I have purchased a RideSafer Type 2 GEN3 Travel Vest for him to sit in the middle of any rental car.

I'd rather not lug the Radians through the airport (personal preference, I have 3 kids, 2 who can't walk on their own to get through airports and on 6 different planes), so my plan was to attach the Britax to a GoGoBabyz and I've ordered a Scenera Next to either attach to a carry-on or just carry. The 3.5 year old would go in the Scenera and the 1.5 year old would go in the Britax. I've used the Britax on a plane before and remember it fitting well. I've purchased a seat on each plane for the 1.5 year old. No baby projectiles for us ;) Both kids will sit in their carseats on the plane. 5.5 year old will just sit on the seat.

I have a gogobabyz to attach the Britax to and I could probably attach the Scenera to either a carry-on or inside the Britax.

I've rented a "SUV" (RAV4 or the like is what it says) at one destination and "full size car" (For Fusion or the like it says) at the other destination.

This should work in most cars right? RF Britax RF Scenera on the two sides and Vest in the middle?

I know that's long and I thank anyone who gets through it.

ADS

crs175

Also, I worry about getting a RAV because I know you can't put a carseat in the middle, but could you get the Vest there?

bnsnyde

No help with some of it, but when we flew with 4 kids under 6, we had the
5 YO Maestro on plane/rental van
2.5 YO RF in Scenera on plane/rental van
1 YO RF Scenera on plane/rental van

(plus we had a 4 YO FF in a Scenera)

We used lightest seats I knew of!

jordansmom

Any chance you belong to Costco? We did our rental vehicle through them last month and the price for a minivan was extremely reasonable compared to other prices we had gotten. Ended up being under $200 for an entire week with different pickup and dropoff locations.

Cnidaria

When we traveled last December, renting a minivan cost less than renting a full-size car, from an ordinary rental agency. It was a Grand Caravan-type van but since you don't have booster riders or all forward-facers that shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely get price quotes.

Cnidaria

Also you cannot do 3-across in at least some years of Rav4 (I think including current ones?). The seatbelts completely overlap and the manual forbids having 3 people of any sort.

crs175

Good to know that the manual actually forbids three people in the back of a RAV. That way, if they give me one, I can tell them it won't work.

As for quotes/Costco/etc...

Yes, I'm a member of Costco. I've price compared every site you can think of for cars. Minivans will easily run me over $800-$1000 per week. It's crazy. I'll keep checking as rental car rates change markedly from one day to the next. Right now, in the one city the "SUV" is by far the cheapest rental, but the minivan is about 5 times as much in each agency no matter which site I check. I'd gladly rent a minivan if I could.

I just double checked. One location would cost me a minimum of $900 for a minivan for 5 days. The other $500 for 3 days. I can't justify $1400 for car rentals when I could pay far, far less than that and get a car that should work.

AllieK

Would you consider a "full sized" SUV that seats 7? A quick check of Costco's website shows them running only a little more than the "intermediate" SUVs.

We're traveling 2 weeks after the holiday with our 2 kids and have reserved a "full sized" SUV (Tahoe or similar). I know it's not on option for everyone but I am willing to pay more for room to easily install the car seats (not to mention the luggage... UGH!) :)

jjordan

I think your best bet is either a "full sized" SUV as the pp mentioned, or a full sized sedan. Small SUV's often have very small back seats. Also you have to think about what you'll do if you request a small SUV and they give you a RAV4 and they don't have anything else in that category. They might be willing to upgrade you for free, but they might only offer a change for $$. I think it probably just depends on who is there and what kind of mood they're in.

crs175

So in the first location, I can get either a full sized sedan or a minivan. The full sized Sedan is about $200 cheaper but I have them both reserved for now. I'll decide in a few weeks. Though, I kind of like the idea of knowing at the first destination if the sedan won't work.

I happened to hit a random sale at the second destination and pick up a full sized sedan for about $300 less than any other car.

Tried out the Rider Vest today and it's going to work really well for the 5.5 year old.

I will check out the full size SUVs, but everything that would be considered big at the second destination is extremely expensive.

The company I am renting from says their full size is a Fusion or something similar. Reading around here, I should be able to get a RF Scenera and a RF (or FF) Boulevard (not the current version, a previous version) both outboard positions and the Rider Vest in the middle, best I can tell from reading the posts.

I wish I could try one out but I don't know anyone that owns a Fusion.

Just checked on the full size SUV, no joke, 4 days = $1000. Minivan = $665 for 4 days.

I check every night though, hoping to catch another random sale. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC