too many types of Frontiers!

Worry Mama

I'm looking into getting a Frontier to puzzle with a RF Radian (for a newborn so can't use angle adjuster yet) in a 2002 Camry. I see there is an 85 and a 90 - will the 90 really last that much longer? Plus I hear the 90 is wider at the cupholders so may be harder to puzzle. I've seen pictures of Frontiers that don't have any cupholders - what kind is that? Would that type be better for puzzling?? Then there is the Frontier with SICT?? Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS
If you need to puzzle, I'd look at a Harmony Defender or Evenflo SureRide. The Harmony is relatively slim width-wise and the SureRide has super tall top harness slots and at only $80-$100 you can buy a dedicated HBB down the road with the savings from the Frontier.

The Frontier 85 is the previous version, discontinued sometime around May of this year. It is quite wide so I'm not sure that you would be able to get a Radian next to it.

The Frontier 85 with SICT is the older version with side impact cushions. They make it next to impossible (if not completely impossible) to fit any FF seat or HBB next to it.

The Frontier 90 and Pinnacle 90 (which is the Frontier 90 with SICT) are the newer versions, replacing the Frontier 85 and Frontier 85 SICT. They have slightly more harness height, but don't make as tall boosters as their predecessors. They too are pretty wide, but I've found them easier to puzzle with than the older model (I have the Pinnacle).

I have an '09 Accord and a few radians and a Pinnacle I could try in my vehicle and see if they fit? I don't have any experience with your vehicle so I'm not sure how helpful this would be.

tiggercat

Are you trying to fit the two side by side? Or a 3 across of sorts?

I can't imagine a FR90 and a radian fitting side by side in the Camry, and your front seat(s) will have to be quite far forward to fit the Radian at a newborn angle.

Worry Mama

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I am trying the dreaded 3 across with a newborn, DS (5 1/2 yrs old, 48 inches, 56 pounds and just at the top slot of his SK Radian) and DD (8 yrs old, 4'8", 65 pounds but needs to stay in a HBB b/c the headrests in our Camry are awful and don't hit her at a good spot when she's in a backless, plus I like the extra safety of a hbb). Given my DS stats, how long do you think he'd last in a Defender or SureRide??
I currently have a SK Radian and GN. I've purchased a Parkway (with the wider sides), MR 70, Size4me and TB to try (and plan to return the ones that don't work). The best I could come up with is putting the Radian RF in the middle with TB on each side. This was just a rough estimate as it is about 20 degrees here and I couldn't take much more so the Radian was just sitting in the seat (not belted/LATCHED) and I didn't see if it would push my husband's seat up too far. (I tend to have fast growing babies plus I have back problems so I'm fine not having a removable infant seat to hoist around). My DD is also just at the point of being too tall for the TB.
So my next steps... If you think my DS could last for a while in the Defender or SureRide I can try those. Then for my DD I was thinking of trying the narrower (w/o the wide side wings) Parkway, Recaro Vivo, Safety First Air Boost, the First Years Compass, Cosco Pronto and harmony v6 (since the Monterey requires head support from the car I don't think that will work with the funky Camry headrests as it pushes too far forward). Seriously, will Target cut me off from returns! Thanks again for your help!

babygirlsmom1005

Here is a picture of my oldest (she was almost 8 and 49 3/4 inches tall & 50 lbs so close to your 5 year old for height) in a SureRide (not installed, just had her sit to take pictures).
I was more than impressed with the room left in it (she rides in a HBB but I wanted to see how much room she had to gauge for my other two minions).

I would avoid the Parkway, it is quite wide. I have one, and have a very difficult time finding something that I can put next to it and have L be able to buckle herself. Take a look at the Harmony Dreamtime, it is light and pretty slim in terms of HBBs. The TB is notoriously difficult to work into a 3-across as it is so square.

Have you tried your daughter in the centre seat with a LBB? (provided there is a headrest that comes up to the tips of her ears, at minimum) or HBB?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC