Toddler can get out of TFP...help!

noahsmommy

Hi all,

I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I'm having a hard time searching the forum on my phone. :/

I have a 17 month old son and we've been using a True Fit Premier since he was about nine months old. He's been interested in the chest clip for a couple of months, but today he discovered that he can unclip it. He then takes his arms out and tries to climb over the side of the seat to free his legs.

We live on an island of the coast of Miami, and I had to stop SIX TIMES in heavy traffic on the causeway today to get him back in his seat! He's too young to reason with, and my shouts/threats were met with laughter (as if it was a dare). :/

My question is, is there some type of cover or pad I can slip over the chest clip without compromising the safety of the seat? Buying another seat is not really an option right now.

Thanks for any help/advice!

ADS

Brianna

You can take little circles of the scratchy side of Velcro and attach it to the part of the chest clip that you pinch. Sometimes that's enough to defer little fingers from pressing too hard.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

MaKoski

If it is cold where you are get a pair of the over the elbow mittens, in a size that would fit a 3-5 yr old and put them on under his jacket or fleece or what ever he wears in the car.(make sure it has tight sleeves) so he can't pull the mittens off... or just get a fleece jacket that is a size too big and sew the cuffs shut. :D

soygurl

If it is cold where you are get a pair of the over the elbow mittens, in a size that would fit a 3-5 yr old and put them on under his jacket or fleece or what ever he wears in the car.(make sure it has tight sleeves) so he can't pull the mittens off... or just get a fleece jacket that is a size too big and sew the cuffs shut. :D

That's a good idea for a cold climate, but the OP said they live on an island near Miami, so I'm thinking it's probably rather warm there! :eek: :duck:

If the poky velcro trick doesn't work, try putting a light weight button-up shirt over your son's clothes, leaving it unbuttoned (get one at a thrift store, and cut the sleeves off to make it cooler... just make sure it isn't loose enough for him to wiggle out of it!). Then, after buckling him up, button the shirt over the harness. That should do a fairly good job of removing his access to the chest clip.

You can also try distractions, like special car-only toys, books, music, snacks, etc., to help keep him from trying to escape.

I'd also remember that even though he's young, kids can understand language long before they can speak it, so it doesn't hurt to start early with repeatedly reminding him that everyone must stay buckled up in the car, and make sure to point out everyone else buckling up too. At that age, reason isn't going to come overnight, and it feels like you're talking to a brick wall, but after the 1000th (or 10,000th, lol!) time of saying something, it'll probably start to sink in. :p

noahsmommy

Also a great idea, MaKoski, but unfortunately it's been 85-degrees here. Today was the first day he hasn't worn a tank-top and shorts since last winter! Don't want to sound like I'm complaining - it's just that a little breeze wouldn't hurt! ;)

I will remember those tips, though, because we are planning a trip up to North Carolina soon & we may (fingers crossed) get some cold weather there. He has a couple of fleece jackets, so I can sew one up just for the car.

Thanks!

That's a good idea for a cold climate, but the OP said they live on an island near Miami, so I'm thinking it's probably rather warm there! :eek: :duck:

If the poky velcro trick doesn't work, try putting a light weight button-up shirt over your son's clothes, leaving it unbuttoned (get one at a thrift store, and cut the sleeves off to make it cooler... just make sure it isn't loose enough for him to wiggle out of it!). Then, after buckling him up, button the shirt over the harness. That should do a fairly good job of removing his access to the chest clip.

You can also try distractions, like special car-only toys, books, music, snacks, etc., to help keep him from trying to escape.

I'd also remember that even though he's young, kids can understand language long before they can speak it, so it doesn't hurt to start early with repeatedly reminding him that everyone must stay buckled up in the car, and make sure to point out everyone else buckling up too. At that age, reason isn't going to come overnight, and it feels like you're talking to a brick wall, but after the 1000th (or 10,000th, lol!) time of saying something, it'll probably start to sink in. :p

Thanks, soygurl. I think I will try a combination of the velco and the shirt you suggested. You're right, I just need to keep reminding him. I think I was just super-frustrated today because he was putting us BOTH in danger with his shenanigans.

He loves to test his boundaries already. I get the feeling that the carseat is only the beginning .... sigh.... :)

It's a good thing I love the little monkey! :)

Thanks again!

tanusscott22

It would be a total pain, but practicing in the drive way is a good way to get your point across. Pick somewhere that he really wants to go...like the park...then buckel him in and just sit in the drive way for a few min. When he tries to unbuckel, tell him no park unless he stays buckeled. He'll get the point, but it may take 10 or more times. Also make sure to do this when you have a good amount of time, and are not on any schedule. Once he kind of gets the point start off to the park...make sure it's close to home...and each time he unbuckles, stop the car, rebuckle, and then tell him you're going home, because he didn't stay buckled. Make sure to turn the car aroun and start going home. When he has a fit, ask him if he is ready to stay buckled. He should say yes, and when he does then you can head back toward the park. By the time you get there he should get the point that he needs to stay buckled.

Last edited:

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Is the harness tight enough? A loose harness can give him wiggle room to help escape...

I assume he is rear-facing. If rear facing, make sure the harness comes from at or below his shoulders. If forward facing, the harness needs to be coming from at or above his shoulders (though at just 17 months he should still be rear-facing as it is 500% safer.

The harness being in the wrong position can also "aid and abet" an escapee.

Other than those 2 things, I would offer the same advice as everyone else... Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC