Question Toddler and 2 Infants in a 2005 Prius

pikapupp

Hi, I'm new to the forum and tried to read all the previous posts regarding trying to fit 3 across a Prius before posting. Most posts I've found had only one infant involved. So I'm hoping I'm not duplicating another post.

We have a 2005 Prius (Gen II). We are expecting twins in the next month and have a RF 2 year old (about 27 lbs and 33" tall). He's still RF because of the advice given here, but we can turn him around if that's necessary to get the fit.

We also have a 1996 4Runner that I haven't tried to fit with seats yet. But I'm not anticipating too much trouble with that. Oh, the center seat belt is a lap belt only that does not retract or lock. Can these be used to secure car seats?

We currently have the following car seats and I haven't been able to find a combination that fits. We are open to buying more seats if that will work better.
1 Britax Decathalon
2 Britax Boulevard 70s
2 Maxi-Cosi Mico Infant seats
1 Graco Snugride (the 22lb version)

I've tried a FF Boulevard in the center with the 2 Micos with bases. I can get them to fit, but I wouldn't be able to get the carriers in and out. The carriers end up under the flanges on the Boulevard.
I've also tried RF and FF Boulevard in the center with 2 Graco Snugride 35s and couldn't get the doors to close.
I've also tried FF Boulevard in the center with 2 Chicco Keyfit and also couldn't get the carriers in and out.

Thanks in advance.

ADS

pikapupp

Ideally I'd like to start with infant seats until they out grow them. I've heard they are more convenient. Although I know in about a year we will need 3 convertibles.

kathysr98

First, to answer your question about the lap belt in the 4runner- if it is a belt with a tail, ie. you buckle it & then pull on a loose end to take up the slack, then yes, it has a locking latchplate & will work great for installing seats. Just keep in mind it cannot be used with a booster or just as a seatbelt.

Second, the convertible seats you have to try are all rather wide. I would suggest looking for a Diono Radian or a Safety First Complete Air to try in place of the Britax seats you have. Baby Trend infant seats are very narrow, but they require the handle down when in the car. Hopefully someone with more experience with seats in a Prius will be along shortly!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
For the Prius, I'd start with a Radian with an angle adjuster in the center. You can try the infant seats you have on either side and see if that will work. If not, I'd go down to Babies R Us and try some more infant seats. If you can't find an infant seat to fit, a pair of Coccoros probably would work, BUT that would not be my first suggestion because I think with twins you'll really really want infant seats.

For the 4Runner, I'd start with the seats you already own and try some combinations until something works.

Lap belts usually are really easy to install car seats with. If you have any trouble getting it tight and secure, let us know and we can help you with that.

YinzerMama

Have you tried the prius chats? This has come up there, I know I have seen people do it with a radian and 2 buckets but I forget which buckets.

While you can make 3 car seats work, though, fitting the gear you need for twins in a prius is no small task. (We have a 2006 Prius... and a set of 2008 twins :D ) I can't think if I have ever put a double stroller in the trunk but I know my graco quattro (single) just about fills it.

Prius chat -

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/68457-three-car-seats-in-prius.html

(just one example...)

pikapupp

I just wanted to update anyone else who might need a similar set up. I was able to get the 2 Maxi Cosi Mico infant seats with a Britax Boulervard 70 all rear facing. This install was inspected by a licensed child safety guy. All three are installed with the seat belts. I do need to use some force to get the infant seats properly engaged in the bases though. Also I have to put the handle down on the center seat and up on the side as that is the widest part of the install.

Attachments

• IMGP1476.jpg
    IMGP1476.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 17

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC