Question Tether Hooks!

smackeen

Was just informed from someone that a certified tech said that top tethers have a weight limit!!

Can you please explain this?

ADS

selinajean

Was just informed from someone that a certified tech said that top tethers have a weight limit!!

Can you please explain this?

I don't know the specifics but I am pretty sure that they are right. I thought they were only tested to a certain weight, just as the UAS is.

selinajean

For some reason I thought that they were not so much load bearing as to help wit head excursion.

You're right, they don't actually install the seat. But they are still only tested to a certain limit and everything over that would not be approved, kwim? As a parent though, if I had a 40 lb limit (just an example) on my TT and a 45 pound 4yo who needs to be harnessed I would make the parental decision to continue using the TT instead of moving to a booster. With the UAS though I would never exceed the limits as that is what holds the seat in place.

smackeen

Ok. I see the reasoning.

But this gentleman has said there was no reason to have a 65lb limit on the seat if you cannot use the TT to that limit.

So essentially he is saying if your child is 45lbs and 4 years old then they should be moved to a booster as the TT is not rated above the 40lb limit (or whatever limit there is).

selinajean

Ok. I see the reasoning.

But this gentleman has said there was no reason to have a 65lb limit on the seat if you cannot use the TT to that limit.

So essentially he is saying if your child is 45lbs and 4 years old then they should be moved to a booster as the TT is not rated above the 40lb limit (or whatever limit there is).

Now that the 65 pound upper limit is a permanent thing I am hoping that TC will re-visit the limits that our cars are tested to. That would make sense but we'll see if anything ever happens there. ;)

sparkyd

It is definitely ridiculous that the standard for weight limits for lower anchors and top tether anchors hasn't kept up with the changes in weight limits for child restraints. Hopefully that will change one of these days. The gentleman referred to above is technically correct that if you follow the stated weight limits you could end up having to booster earlier than you may want to. Not all limits are 40 lbs though. Lots are 48 lbs, and some are higher. Have to check both your restraint and the vehicle instruction manuals.

There is an extensive discussion of this issue in the 2011 LATCH manual (published by Safe Ride News in the US) and I offer the following info from there:

pg 68 - "Transport Canada modified its [child restraint] test standard in 2008 to cover testing of [high weight harness] CRs with a 65 lb dummy. After instituting the 65 lb test, a [Transport Canada] official stated to Safe Ride News that factory-installed TAs ... meeting the Canadian version of FMVSS 225 are sufficiently strong for CR use up to 65 lbs. This assertion is backed up by results of high-speed, tough crash tests run over the past eight years. ... In all the tests there were no TA failures ...."

pg 69 - "The exceedingly slim risk of a tether failing in an extremely severe crash should be seen in relation to the substantial benefit of reduced head excursion due to tether use in much more common, lower-force crashes, as well as severe crashes."

This is one of those cases where parents need to inform themselves and decide what the best course of action is for their situation.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have made the personal decision to use the top tether past the 40-pound limit that Honda has set for my car. I DO NOT use the lower anchors, but do use the top tether.

tam_shops

Don't know how long seats had harness over 40#, know in 2006 they had 47# ones and since top tether is mandatory here, the older cars must have top tether to at least 47#s. Right?

I get the 47-65# difference for cars made before 2009 when the seat weights went up, but don't the seats made after that *have* to be tested for up to 65#?

Either way, I have never heard/read/seen anything about a tether failing and/or causing problems, so I still RF and FF tether my seats.

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC