Question Tech in Arlington va (22202) to help w radian rxt in 2010 Honda crv

U

Unregistered

We took our Radian RXT and 2010 Honda crv to local police auxiliary for assistance w installation (we just couldn't get it tight enough)... They couldn't do it either and they encouraged us to get another model because "this seat just doesn't seem to work with your car"... But I have see lots of posts here of other ppl that have gotten the radian to work in their CRVs! We tried LATCH installs both behind passenger side and in center... No dice.

Are there any techs in the dc metro area that could assist? If yes, please reply with your fee. We are located by the Pentagon, or could travel to you.

I already searhed list here / no techs nearby
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

Reply here or to ariana1975@gmail.com. Thanks!!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am not a tech, but am in the DC metro area.

Although it would be a trek for you, I'd suggest going out to the Sully Police Station in Chantilly (yes, I know it is QUITE a hike) on Tuesday evenings. They do a FANTASTIC job at their seat checks. I have had RF Radians in my Civic (same basic car as the CRV) for years and have never had a problem.

Did you try a seatbelt installation? My Radians install MUCH better with a seatbelt than with LATCH.

kaharris83

I had an awful time finding a tech in this area as well. I was in Alexandria at the time but checked all over. It was disappointing as we are in a Metro area. When I finally found a tech he watched us install and told us it was good. A week later there was a seat check event at Fair Oaks hospital and I went just to have it doubled checked. The guy from the evebt reached in 1 handed and yanked my seat all the way across the car. So much for that tech.

Thanks for the info on Chantilly Patriot. I will keep that in mind for the future.

cm_nghs1

I also have better luck with the seatbelt when installing my radians.

Does your Honda allow LATCH use in the centre seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi all - OP here
thanks for the tips, esp about the Chantilly location. You are right, that is a hike, but if they can figure it out - it's worth it!

I had only tried LATCH install so far, so will try to figure out a seatbelt install next (very intimidating!!!)

There are full LATCH setups in the two outer seats, and one extra LATCH in the center. (So, I guess for 3 across, it would be 2 LATCH installs and 1 seatbelt install... but, that isnt an issue for us yet!)

U

Unregistered

I've searched YouTube & also the successful install archives here (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18235) for the Radian RXT in a 2009-11 Honda CRV (mine is a 2010).

It appears that some people use the center seat belt (that comes down from the ceiling) - has anybody else used this belt for a center seat belt install?

(interesting that ppl on this board recommend the seatbelt install - I swear I just read some reviews saying the opposite!)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you are unable to get a solid installation in the center, you need to install outboard. A solid outboard installation is far safer than a shaky center installation. :)

I find seatbelt installations to be far easier than LATCH installations with most of my seats. LATCH isn't safer; it is theoretically easier.

U

Unregistered

OP here.
Thanks all for input. So, I spent some time watching YouTube, and pouring over the instruction manual. I went back to the car / carseat and got it cranked in nice and tight behind the passenger seat. Yes, I got right in the car, and put one foot on the seat and tightened it right up...

I went back to the inspection officer and she OK'd the installation (the seat was secure enough - did not move too much lateral or front/back). She also helped install the tether (which is NOT tight, and not intended to be). She did caution me however with the LATCH installation that TOO TIGHT installations can wear on the staps/bands of the car seat (stretch them out over time) and that I should periodically check the seat for continued stability, esp after any quick stops etc.

THANK GOODNESS I did this all well in advance of needing it (my 7mo is at 100% height, but still prob has a few more weeks/a month or so in her baby bucket before I would *have* to move her)! I appreciate everybody's posts in an attempt to get this done!

Thanks Patriot201 for your info on LATCH vs seatbelt installs - I'd honestly assumed that the LATCH installs were *safer* so it is good to have your input on this! Makes me more willing to try the seatbelt install if/when we need to (at 40+lbs)!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC