tall booster/ Harmony Defender

jaemom

I'm trying to work out seating in my Dodge Caravan, with the funky sealt belt geometry. The Vivo and the Compass Folding booster work for my middle son, but my oldest is very close to the top of the belt guides. None of them placed the lap belt well on my youngest DS, but the Parkway works well for him in the 2nd row, (and the other seat is our carpool seat) so I need to get my oldest into that pesky 3rd row. The Harmony folding booster worked for the belt retracting, but was too short. It looks like the Defender is a taller booster. Has anyone used it in booster mode? DS1 is 9YO (next week!), 55lbs, and 53" tall. Torso height is around 18.5". Because of the geometry back there, a backless won't work. The belt sits a couple of inchesin front of him. I also tried the Evenflo Amp, the belt guides were compatible, but it wasn't tall enough either. The parkway is marginal in belt compatibility. I know it is one of the tallest.

ADS

mom of six

I am researching the Harmony Defender for the same reason. My Caravan is a 2003 and has the funky belt geometry.

In my case I am hoping to fit a 5 yo who is 47" and 60 lb. She currently rides in a FR85 but it is just too BIG for my set up. She has 2 clicks left on the FR85 in harness mode as a reference for her shoulder height.

JCsMomma

I'm going to keep my eye on this, so please post back what you find! My DS is still fitting in the Amp, but he doesn't have a ton of room left so I definitely need to think about our next step! Although doesn't the Vivo go pretty tall? Did I read that correctly that you got it to work in the third row?

Squeaky McMurdo

Well seeing as I just checked Amazon and the Frontier 85 has skyrocketed to close to $300 and $50ish shipping on some of the seats, I guess I'm going to have to check out the HD too. I wonder if they will come out with some more colors soon. I still have some time yet. My oldest just turned 5yo and is 38" 30 pounds with her shoulders even with the top slots of her Evenflo Tribute. I like the 10 year expiration! My 3yo dd and 1yo ds will eventually inherit whatever I choose. My son is already almost as tall as both his sisters so will most certainly need a seat with a higher harness.

jnamommy

I am also following this thread. My ds is in an Amp in the third row, but I am only marginally happy with the fit on him, although the booster actaully works well with the stupid belt guides.

Not sure if anyone has tried a Probooster in the 3rd row....I ordered one for a different vehicle, but can try it in the 3rd row of our T&C when we get it if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

mom of six

Well, I bought a Defender to try it out. In booster mode the shoulder belt guide is great. It retracts with no problem. I am not sure I like how tippy, slippy it is. My seats are leather and they have been smooshed from many years of car seats being installed so they are flat and smooth. The base of the Defender is pretty smooth and rounded so it moves all over the place. I wish it could be latched in booster mode. :(

Downside for me is I would like to have a Radian installed next to it but there is NO WAY to buckle the Defender in booster mode with a Radian next to it.:crying:

DD4 is 5.5, 48" and 60 lbs. She does not fit in harness mode because of how short the crotch buckle is. I have requested the longer one. She has also almost maxed out the harness length although that may change with the longer crotch strap. I may try her in the Defender with the 86-y harness in the center of the back bench.

I have six kids in the Caravan. We took out the captains chairs and added a full bench in the middle. With 2 lab only belts I have 2 spots that have to be car seat only. It is getting harder as the kids get older.

Looking forward to the time we can afford the Nissan NV3500. Any one know of a used one for sale?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC