TA locations on '06 Express / Savana?

Keeanh

Hi,
We bought an '06 Chevy Express 15-passenger, but don't have it yet, LOL. Although I'm in Canada, it's a US import from a rental company so I kinda doubt anything was installed after it left the factory. Does anyone here know about these vehicles?

- How many tether anchors does it have standard?
- Are there pre-drilled holes where I can install my own TA's?
- Can headrests be installed?
- How high are the seat backs?

I phoned GM twice and got different answers each time :confused:.

Thanks!!
Lesley (In Canada -- but talking about a US vehicle!)

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, I'll take a stab at your tether anchor questions by checking in the LATCH manual. :)

The closest match to a 15-passenger Chevy Express for the '06 model year in the LATCH manual is only listed with a second and third row in my 2009 LATCH manual, so I think your van's owner's manual is likely more comprehensive once you get your copy of the owner's manual to verify tether anchor information. The '06 Savanna entry is similar to the Express entry with a bit more detail and also mentions a 4-passenger bench seat without tether anchors. I'll type up the Savanna's LATCH manual entry info. a bit later in my reply for you.

Here's what the LATCH manual entry states for the 2006 Express:

Front seat - tether anchor on base of seat frame

Second row center - shared tether anchor on back of seat

Second row outboard - 2 sets of LATCH with shared tether anchor on back of seat - I believe this means either the passenger side or the driver's side shares a tether anchor with the center seating position. Based on a note for earlier Express model years (2001-2005) and the '06 Savanna's entry that I'll type up in a moment, two carseats cannot be connected to same tether anchor at the same time, and this is likely true for the 2006 Express but there's no note expressly (oops, pardon the pun) stating that for the 2006 Express model in the LATCH manual. :eek:

Third row, 3 passenger seating, center- tether anchor on back of seat at bight line.

Third row outboard - no tether anchors

Based on this info., the van has 3 tether anchors total in the second and third rows, and 4 total if you also count the front passenger seat's tether anchor.

As promised earlier, here's what the LATCH manual states for the 2006 GMC Savanna, which might flesh out more details for your '06 Chevy Express van if they're equivalent models. (I think they are equivalent, but not 100% certain):

Second row center - shared tether anchor on back of seat, looks similar to seatbelt latchplate, use tether anchor for either center or outboard position. Two carseats cannot be attached to same tether anchor.

Second row outboard - 2 sets of LATCH

Third row center - tether anchor

Third row outboard - no tether anchors

The LATCH manual's entry for the '06 Savanna also lists this info. for a 4-passenger bench seat: Do not use carseat requiring a top tether anchor as no tether anchors exist for this seat.

On the retrofitting question, GM doesn't provide additional top tether anchor retofits in GM models that are already factory equipped with some top tether anchors. I don't know about your headrest or seatback height questions. Hopefully we have someone familiar here with your van to address that further for you. Congrats on your new vehicle. :)

Keeanh

Thanks Jean!! That's great news. We should be okay with 3 anchors. So far our children have all been 2 years apart, so I should at most have 3 in FF harnesses at once. Seems strange, though, that there wouldn't be a separate TA for each LATCH location.

No, I wouldn't expect GM to retrofit anything. I was just wondering if there were some holes for me to install TAs. It would make sense, since daycares use these vans, but since when have manufacturers done things that make sense? LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC