Swedish seats

kkcoconut

So I'm looking to get 2 new RFing seats and I'm looking at some Swedish seats. I know they are considered illegal in the US but what will happen if you get caught using it and how would they know? I'm looking into the Swedish seats because I like the foot prop and the harness with them. I've also read a lot at what adventure dad has wrote about them and they seem more superior to US seats. Does anybody have a seat that they recommend? I'm looking into the multi tech.

ADS

1mommy

You could technically be ticketed for using an "illegal seat" but the chances of that are pretty slim. I've heard that insurance could possibly deny your claim if your child gets injured in it, as well but then KetchupQueen I think posted that after her accident insurance didn't care what seats she had and paid to replace her sweedish seat.

Hazelandlucy

If you don't need more than 40 lbs - there are some really cool seats in the UK and Europe right now! I really like the "Isize" seats that meet new regulations in Europe. They have rigid latch, a support leg, and have been officially side impact tested with anintruding door. There is another neat seat called the Britax Dual Fix, that isn't Isize approved, but swivels like the Orbit toddler seat and can forward face as well (to 40 lbs). My 3 yr old loved it when we used one in England.

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/dualfix

I saw the Maxi Cosi 2 way Pearl (Isize, and also a convertible, but again just to 40 lbs) and they have a great system for keeping the harness out of the way. I will try to attach the pictures I took. I put my DD in it and it really works well.

http://www.maxi-cosi.com/products/car-seats/toddler/2waypearl/features.aspx

I think the American seats are great now for ERF and very safe, but I do love the Rigid latch/load leg/rebound bar features of the European seats.

Last edited:

Brianna

US seats sold today RF to very high weight and heights. I would recommend a U.S. seat unless your child has outgrown them all and has a medical necessity to remain RF. AdventureDad can't claim Swedish seats are safer than our seats- they are tested to different standards. That just makes them different, not safer. Our seats here are required to pass US testing without load legs- so perhaps that makes our seats superior? It's impossible to tell. And beyond being impossible to tell- maybe one seat works better in a head on crash, and another works better in side impact crashes.

The best thing you can do is install and use your car seat properly, and keep your child RF as long as possible- which is very possible to do with US seats.

katymyers

US seats sold today RF to very high weight and heights. I would recommend a U.S. seat unless your child has outgrown them all and has a medical necessity to remain RF. AdventureDad can't claim Swedish seats are safer than our seats- they are tested to different standards. That just makes them different, not safer. Our seats here are required to pass US testing without load legs- so perhaps that makes our seats superior? It's impossible to tell. And beyond being impossible to tell- maybe one seat works better in a head on crash, and another works better in side impact crashes.

The best thing you can do is install and use your car seat properly, and keep your child RF as long as possible- which is very possible to do with US seats.

I totally agree. With almost all seats having 40 lbs rear facing weight limits and more and more having 45 and 50 lbs weight limits there's no longer any point to importing seats. Why break the law if you don't have to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finn

I have a Multi tech, but I'm not in the US and it is legal here.

My dd is tall and I'm pretty sure she has outgrown the radian rf, she is on the last click of the MT but has some growing room left.

It is a big seat and does take up a bit of room but not more than the radian. I also have a Brio Zento (that dd sill fits, a two way elite ( that she has heaps of room in) & a free-way (which she has pretty much outgrown)).

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
So I'm looking to get 2 new RFing seats and I'm looking at some Swedish seats. I know they are considered illegal in the US but what will happen if you get caught using it and how would they know?

They are illegal in every state. The penalty would be the same as if the child was completely unrestrained, which sadly is usually pretty insignificant. Most police officers won't know that the seat is illegal, but someone who is on the ball would note that there is no chest clip and that the seat does not have a FMVSS certification sticker on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC