Still trying to work out seating..do we need a bigger van?

rjaeh

So dh and I went to Buy Buy Baby yesterday to try out seats. We were hoping to figure out something that would work for our soon to be family of 7. But walked away more confused. :confused:

Here are our stats:
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport
middle row captain's chairs, 3rd row bench

10 yo dd, 75lbs, 4'6" currently in a lb TB in one of the captain's chairs
7 yo dd 65lbs, 4'3" currently in hb TB in 3rd row
5 yo ds 43lbs, 3'8" in Trufit in 3rd row
3 yo ds 35lbs 3'3" ff in Evenflo Symphony DLX in Captain's chair
newbie will be in a Graco Snugride 35

Sooo...we have tried a Radian, and we can get 2 Radians back there w/ the hb TB, BUT my 5 yo's ears are only about 3 inches from the tob of the seat, so he can outgrow it pretty fast (and it is a big investment for a year or so), so I am not sure 2 Radians are going to be possible. I have tried to put the baby's seat in the 3rd row, but I am SHORT. And I can't get it out, so I really need her in one of the captain's chairs. (especially if there are groceries or whatever back there. I can tumble the seat forward, and get it out that way, but my babies outgrow the SR by 10 months, then will be in a convertible and I will be back to having trouble getting her out again).
I tried the Radian in back w/ the 2 TB, but it was tight, and my 10yo needs a hb booster back there. (she is too tall for the hb TB).

DH is thinking we need a different van or something bigger. He was looking @ Odysseys and thinks they are more roomy/wider. Are they? Is there a bigger option that will work better? My 10yo is very close to being able to 5 step (in the captain's chair) , but not quite there, and she won't be able to 5 step in the 3rd row b/c of how weird the belts are back there.

ADS

rjaeh

I guess what we are thinking is that a different van while not necessarily bigger, will give us more options: more tether locations, the ability to put a lbb in the 3rd row (like a bubble bum or something narrow) w/ better belt fit than we get w/ our GC.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
One other option that not many people think of is what I just did (I have 4 kids and am expecting twins).

I went to a junkyard and picked up another 3rd row bench from a Caravan (my van is also a 2003). The 2001-2003 are the same an any will work in your car. Now, if you can find a 2001 (I got lucky and did), there are 3 tether anchors and 2 sets of LATCH in the bench (you can use them as either 1 center or 2 outboard, verified with LATCH manual). You can of course, switch out the benches to put the tethers in either the middle row or the back row, wherever you need them most.

My kids are almost exactly the same as yours (10yo, 8yo, 5yo, 3yo, newbie, newbie). My plan is: FF Radian 5yo, FF Radian 3yo (he will be 1 month away from 4 when the babies come), booster 8yo (either HBTB or backless harmony) in the 3rd row. Then 10yo 5-steps, SR35, either RF Radian or if I can swing it, RF CCO.

Hope this helps :)

ETA: I paid just $26 for my bench so call around. Pick N Pull seems to be the cheapest type of junkyard where you pull the part yourself. I found one that has a 50% off day (regular price was $39.99)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC