Small convertible suggestions?

emsen09

I need to replace an expiring seat for my 16mo DS who is just under average size. I am looking for an inexpensive and compact convertible seat. I want it to fit until about age 6 so it will need more than a 40" child height limit. The Combi Coccoro is out for that and the Radian is too long for RF. They're also too expensive for my budget. I would like to keep it >$100. I have been thinking of a Safety 1st Guide 65 but I need some real life advice.

I have been lurking and pouring over dimensions and charts and old threads, but I feel like some sources are out of date so I can't decide. Suggestions? TIA

ADS

Kaitsmom

How much does she weigh, whats her height and torso measurement? Sit her against the wall and measure floor to shoulder top. Fitting until 6 may be a big stretch. I dont like the Guide for bigger build kids, my daughter was squished in it. What car is it going into?

jjordan

I think it will be a challenge to get a seat for under $100 that will last until your dd is 6. The best chance would probably be a Britax Roundabout 50 (or possibly a Graco MyRide) from Target; they periodically go on sale for $100. However you might not have time to wait for a sale.

The new Evenflo Titan 65 sounds very promising, and is due out in September according to carseatblog.com. But until new seats are *actually* out, you can't be quite sure what you're getting (or when!).

Jessica61624

I think the guide would get her close to 6. My DD is 5, 44in and 44lbs and fit. It was still on the shelf so its hard to say if she was on the 2nd to top slots or would have needed the highest slots.

StillThankful

Welcome! :)

Trying to find the right seat on a budget is sometimes challenging and frustrating.

There are a couple of threads discussing the Guide 65: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=222905&highlight=guide

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=222678&highlight=guide

I think the major initial issue with this seat was head slump (or the seat headrest pushing the child's head forward while rearfacing). However, looking at the thread above, it appears that if the parent follows the manual in adjusting the headrest at the proper height, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Other options:

By "compact" do you mean a short seat (from bottom to top) or a narrow seat?

If short, the Evenflo Triumph Advance 65 (although wide) seat is a good choice. DD1 is 5y9m and has about 2 or 3 more months left in it. However, she has a short torso (16 - 16.25"). You can get them on sale but they are a little over $100.

Graco My Ride 65 is also a shorter seat but wide as well. Again, the highest slots are the same as the Evenflo Triumph Advance 65. You can get this seat for a little over $100 as well on sale.

If you don't want to spend that much right now, you can get a Cosco Scenera 40rf or a Cosco APT to keep him rear facing to 40# for about $50-60. When he outgrows it by weight and/or height, then you can purchase an Evenflo Maestro (which goes to 50#) or an Evenflo Secure Kid 300 (which goes to 65#). Both of which have 18" harness slots.

The Maestro goes on sale for about $75+. The Secure Kid 300 goes on sale for about $103 sometimes.

emsen09

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be looking into them all. I'm glad to hear from people that actually know what they're talking about.
By compact I mean that I'd like it to be narrow and short for RF. I know that's partially asking a lot when I say I want it to fit to age 6. My kids at this point are anything from big. DS1 is 5y1m, 42", 36#. DD is 3y2m, 36", 24#. DS2 (need seat for) is 16m, 30.5", 23# (our biggest so far). I'm more concerned about height than I would probably ever be about weight. Our main vehicle is a Honda Pilot (DH is 6'1") but the car seats also go in other vehicles on occasion.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC