safest carseat placements

U

Unregistered

Hi All,

Want to make sure I've got the right idea with this - I only have one child, and we drive a small car. But next week we have family coming and staying with us, including another child, my niece. We will be borrowing a minivan to use during their stay.

My child is RF, I think my niece is FF. What is the safest placement of the two carseats in a minivan? The van has two captain seats in the middle row, the passenger one can be moved to the center. From what I've read, I think the safest configuration would be my FF niece in the center captain seat, and my RF daughter in the outboard captain seat?

If they do not do well right next to each other (and they may not!) what is the next best configuration? separate the two captain seats and leave them both in the middle row? Or leave my FF niece in the center captain seat and put my RF daughter in the center of the back row?

Thanks!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm guessing you have an Odyssey?

Ultimately the safest place for each of them is where you get the best installation. If you're getting a super install in any of your chosen locations then your next consideration is for the forward-facing child and where there's a tether anchor.

Your captain's chairs, regardless of vehicle type, will have tether anchors and it's extremely important that you use them. If you report back with your vehicle make/model/year someone can confirm for you where your anchors are if you can't find them. Your vehicle manual will also have that info.

All of that being considered -- I'd probably be inclined to say that the FF child would be safEST in the 2nd row captain's chair shifted into the middle position, and the RF child in the middle of the 3rd row. That may not be practical though, so if you put them both in the 2nd row then I'd put the RFer in the captain's chair behind the driver and the FF child right next to her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC