RSTV fit? (Pics)

KaiLing

RSTV, the small size, kid is 47+ lbs, 45" tall. Lap belt too high? The lap belt really seemed to come up in the middle. The large was by no means snug--totally swam on him.

rstv1.jpg
rstv2.jpg

Am I just out of luck for travel if the large is way too big?

ADS

creideamh

IIRC, the "manual" just wants the bottom of the vest to be in contact with the thighs, eh? I think it's fine, but I'm not a super big RSTV expert (despite owning 2.)

chocovore

That looks about like the fit on my similarly-sized son. I feel like the lap belt looks higher in photos than it does in real life. I always try to give the whole vest a downward tug right before he sits down in order for the lap belt part to bend at the thighs.

I don't know how old your son is or if he/you are OK with boostering, but at 5.5 I have started bringing a backless turbo for travel. If he's likely to fall asleep the RSTV will more likely keep him in position, though.

KaiLing

Thanks folks. I'm really torn. He's not yet 4.5 and not ready to be boostered. We're going on a trip to Europe that will be entirely not in cars, but I don't feel comfortable carrying nothing, so I wanted to have something in the bag in case of some sort of taxi emergency (we'll carry an actual seat for the baby because of planes). My thought was that the RSTV was smaller than anything else, but I suppose I could look into low back boosters? I really don't know.

Stelvis

If you're just using it for backup, I think it's fine. You could also take a Bubble Bum, and just sit next to him to keep him still if you have to use it.

KaiLing

Holy carp, you think a bubblebum's an option? That's even smaller.... Do they fit 45" kids?

(And now I want a bubblebum. Life is so hard for the car seat geek.)

Stelvis

Well, it has the shoulder belt positioner clip thingy, so yeah.

My nephew, who is 6, but about your son's size, had a fine belt fit in it.

KaiLing

Holy cow, bubblebum fits beautifully. Way better than RSTV. I knew the kid was big, but... Not ready to be the parent of a booster rider. (Note: he's not a booster rider. Just a sitting next to him in a taxi in an emergency booster carrier.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC