RF to Kiddy shield booster?

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
So, DH is really excited about the new shield booster coming out (the Kiddy). Which is shocking on so very many levels, but I digress.

DS will be 3 in a couple weeks. He's around 35inches and, with winter clothes and shoes, 31lbs.

My original thought is to RF to like 4-ish, then turn the Radian FFing for him. DH is thinking of buying a truck in the next year (2003-ish F150, not quad cab, but has a full 3rd row... crew cab? I don't know enough about trucks). He thinks it might be easier to have the Kiddy for DS in the truck - he would rather not have to install the Radian FFing every time DS rides in it (Mondays only, very limitedly).

So, provided that the Kiddy is like European shield boosters, what do you think of the idea? I like it because that buys me a new seat ;) My main fear is the 40lb weight limit on the shield - I know DS wouldn't be booster-ready even on a limited basis until he's 5.5-6 (he has no impulse control now).

Thoughts?

ADS

Jessica61624

As long as your ds is under the 40lbs min for the shield I wouldn't think twice about using it for a 3 yr old. Id hold out on buying it until you actually need it. They are talking about raising the weight. Who knows how quickly that will happen.

skylinphoto

I'm going to get my dd a kiddy shield seat. She's 26lbs and will be 4 yrs old next month. She's currently rfing in a radian xt. I know mine will be fine with the 40lb limit (growth charts show she won't be 40lbs until 7.5 yrs old). But I understand your concern with the impulsiveness. My dd is insanely impulsive and hyper.

I feel very good about going from rfing to the kiddy shield seat. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Jessica61624 said:
As long as your ds is under the 40lbs min for the shield I wouldn't think twice about using it for a 3 yr old. Id hold out on buying it until you actually need it. They are talking about raising the weight. Who knows how quickly that will happen.

Even if it was just 5 lbs to 45, I would feel much more comfortable. Going off the growth chart, he'll gr 40lbs at 5. However, at that point I could always put him in a regular 5pt until he's booster ready, and just have DD use the Kiddy in regular booster mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC