Replacing Scenera RF40 after a minor crash

slsolomon

My husband and 2 yr old son were in a minor car accident last week. The insurance company will replace the Scenera RF40 that we have with a seat of comparable "quality". My question is, is there another seat at "comparable quality" that might be a better idea? Especially because this seat has a 40 lb max FF.

My son is 27 months, weights 35/36 pounds, and is about 36" tall. We use a Marathon Classic in my car and also have a Safety 1st Alpha Omega that is currently in my mom's car but my husband would prefer it in his car.

We are also expecting another baby in April and my plan was to move my son into a harnessed booster just before his third birthday when the new baby moves out of the infant carrier.

Is there anything better than the Scenera at a similar cost/quality with a higher weight limit?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If your son is forward-facing, I'd probably go with an Evenflo Maestro. I would say it's comparable quality with a Scenera. But it's forward-facing only. Cheapest price I'm aware of right now is $68 at Walmart.com.

Otherwise, really a Scenera is about the best seat you can get in its class of low-cost convertibles.

If your son is rear-facing, I'd probably ask the insurance company to reimburse you for the actual cost of the Scenera 40RF and use the money toward something a little longer-lasting since he's getting close to its upper limits. If he's forward-facing, I'd probably get a Maestro and worry about getting a convertible for the baby later.

A word of caution on the Alpha-Omega seat you have. That's one of the most commonly mis-used seats out there. The most common models don't allow the harness to be used in its highest position. Check the back of the seat for hard-to-find embossed letters that say "Top position for booster use only" and also check your manual. Also, the most common versions of that seat have an upper weight limit of 40 lbs (some versions have weight limits of 50 or 65 lbs). Many parents don't realize this because it says it goes up to 100 lbs on the box, but that's referring to the booster function, and it doesn't actually work properly as a booster seat so it really doesn't "count." I think every kid I've ever seen come to a check in that car seat has outgrown it by height and/or weight and the parents didn't even realize it.

slsolomon

Thank you for the reply. We were just at Target tonight and saw the Evenflo Maestro and I am thinking we might go with that since he is forward facing.

Thanks for the heads up about the Alpha-Omega. He hasn't been in that seat in a couple of months since it has been in my mom's car, but I will check into the weight limit and be aware of the top position issue, I had never planned to use it as a booster. I never really liked that seat :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC